Dynadot

Geo Domains HQ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just thought I'd create a thread where we can all talk openly about Geo (Service) Domains. Seems like a hot topic which I've been discussing quite often now.

Let's get together and chat geo domains.

Advice, Questions, Statistics, Recent Sales, Venting Frustration, etc..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does anybody have some name to discuss? I recently bought SaintPetersburgDentist.com. What do you think about it? I put it on appraisal but I think I will have more luck here with thoughts.

•••
Does anybody have some name to discuss? I recently bought SaintPetersburgDentist.com. What do you think about it? I put it on appraisal but I think I will have more luck here with thoughts.

Was it a handreg or a drop/deleted?

•••
•••
@cdnbigd

I work 8 hours/day literally every day. Today was a work day just like any other day, work is vacation from bankruptcy, and I am on vacation every day :laugh: so I have routine and work fast and putting up pre-prepared templates with "your logo here" is automated for me because setting up 10 domains/day would be inefficient.

If i cant find better things to do, I would do 100$ domain+lander no problem because its 2-3 hours total work for me for a template. The changes I make are logo and text and insert pics but changes to the coding costs extra, if they want a site coded this will cost 200-500$ depending on how much work.

Sorry for repeating the question but just want to clear myself (the bold parts).

So when you say you setup websites on domains and offer for $399-$499, how many web pages/content pages do you add in those ($399-$499) domain/sites? You can give an idea or average sites you create normally, as I know different niches have different requirements.

For $100, I get that you do a one-page lander with little content and images. But can I adopt this same strategy and pitch domain/lander for $400-$500 instead of $100, (as long as I am able to create a nice one-page lander). Please guide.

•••
@ Domain Lead Finder

I really appreciate you sharing info about your outbound marketing processes and experiences. I have always thought that a one page mockup of what I believe a domain COULD BE might be a good way to convey the potential value of a domain to end users and possibly result in a higher close rate. I’m talking about a one page homepage mockup with a logo and relevant images but no working links. Do you ever present leads with this type of mockup? If not, do you have any thoughts about the concept? Would it be possible to see a sample of the type of site you present to end users; even an image of the sample homepage with a fake domain would be great.

Thanks again for sharing.

•••

At first glance it looks like a good name but... did you have Florida or Russia in mind? I'm Canadian so not too sure but I think it's usually "St" instead of "Saint" for the city in Florida.

As for Russia, it's all over the map with "Petersburg" "StPetersburg" and "SaintPetersburg". At least you do have a ton of prospects to write you regardless. :)

I had a very similar name but it was for CapeTown (South Africa). Wrote to about 200 prospects and ended up dropping it. No sale. I mainly stick to US now

•••
Never had much luck with contacting (US) end-users about geos. Might be because I'm from Finland. Can totally imagine the disbelief an end-user have when a guy from the other side of the world is trying to pitch their city+service domain. "Tastes like squatting." Sold a few, though, them contacting me.

•••
Its an excellent name-just need the right buyer.We own LondonPeriodontist.com so in a city of 8 million where a periodontist makes 300K plus pr yr. we have the name and want a lot of $$$ for it. Good Luck.

•••
Any dental geo .com should do well I think .

I had sold a geo dentures related one a few years ago for $ xxxx

:xf.grin:

•••
I have never tried selling geo medical or dental domains because email addresses for doctors seemed near impossible to find. Has anyone had success finding email addresses for doctors? If yes, I'd love to know how. Do use a tactic other than direct emails to doctors to promote medical or dental geos?

•••
Any dental geo .com should do well I think .

I had sold a geo dentures related one a few years ago for $ xxxx

:xf.grin:

That was a great time to sell dental domains but for many years since then the competition has been huge in selling geo dental domains. But I still see couple of domainers manage to sell such domains at great prices. So I am also keeping the faith and have two dental domains in my portfolio; for now.hehehe.

I have never tried selling geo medical or dental domains because email addresses for doctors seemed near impossible to find. Has anyone had success finding email addresses for doctors? If yes, I'd love to know how. Do use a tactic other than direct emails to doctors to promote medical or dental geos?

I am sure if you dig their website pages (About Doctors/Dentists etc.) you will be able to find their email. Other than the fact that not everyone likes to share their direct email on a website, I also had hard times on a number of occasions in finding direct email address. Checking WHOIS hasn't always worked for me as most of the time the domain was registered by the web design company that dentist had the site designed from.

•••

Input to google search for dentists , types of doctors etc in any city town etc and look for CV or curriculum vitae.

Most professionals will include their personal contact in there.

As well look for university and college professors as many are drs, PhDs etc who have separate practices so they may need domains for their private practice.

When searching specific terms just add " keyword" around the specific keyword to sort out search better!

•••
Never had much luck with contacting (US) end-users about geos. Might be because I'm from Finland. Can totally imagine the disbelief an end-user have when a guy from the other side of the world is trying to pitch their city+service domain. "Tastes like squatting." Sold a few, though, them contacting me.

How many domains have you tried to sell and how many end users have you contacted?

•••

My dad and family are also from Finland. Damn, I struggle with that language. lol

I'm surprised end-users actually found you and contacted you out of the blue. How did that happen? What kind of name(s)?

•••
For the medical geo's, I've tried to sell a few of them in large cities and smaller cities for a variety of medical terms (including dentist/dental). Nothing sold. In my experience, medical geo's I have the least success with (ok ok, no success).

Finding the emails does take some time. Look in the obvious places first (website, whois.com) then move onto typing in the doctor's name + email or + contact. Then try dr's name + city. Then look at his/her LinkedIn profile and the contact/links info on their profile.

I've had no luck at all in selling geo's in non-english speaking countries (ie. Saint Petersburg, Russia. Capetown, South Africa).

•••
Sorry for repeating the question but just want to clear myself (the bold parts).

So when you say you setup websites on domains and offer for $399-$499, how many web pages/content pages do you add in those ($399-$499) domain/sites? You can give an idea or average sites you create normally, as I know different niches have different requirements.

For $100, I get that you do a one-page lander with little content and images. But can I adopt this same strategy and pitch domain/lander for $400-$500 instead of $100, (as long as I am able to create a nice one-page lander). Please guide.

It depends on what the profession is. I will not use the same template for a pool cleaner and for a dentist. You should not go too deep in "paralysis though analysis" :D with what type of template, you can later on change the template if the customer does not like it. You can not know up front if you hit his taste or not.

As for my 100$ landers, I do this only when I have nothing better to do for more money. If I can not find a customer for 499$ I will offer 100$ landers + domain on some unsold ones. The point is to always be closing sales, going for volume, time is money.

I’m talking about a one page homepage mockup with a logo and relevant images but no working links. Do you ever present leads with this type of mockup? If not, do you have any thoughts about the concept? Would it be possible to see a sample of the type of site you present to end users; even an image of the sample homepage with a fake domain would be great.

I literally put up a template with lorem ipsum and "your logo here". They look at the template and they like it or they do not. You guys are really putting too much emphasis of the type and beauty of templates, it is not the deciding factor so much as contacting lots of people. You can change the template if the customer does not want it, you can even get him to pick a template from a template shop, they just want a complete and hassle free website with domain name. I got most templates from themeforest.com or getbootstrap.com and insert pics.

•••
My dad and family are also from Finland. Damn, I struggle with that language. lol

I'm surprised end-users actually found you and contacted you out of the blue. How did that happen? What kind of name(s)?

Latest was Chicago Firewood. Some name, I know. Held it for a couple of months and then out of the blue, someone Afternic BIN'd it for $350. In the summer time.

Finnish is pretty cryptic, true.

•••
You should not go too deep in "paralysis though analysis" :D with what type of template

You guys are really putting too much emphasis of the type and beauty of templates, it is not the deciding factor so much as contacting lots of people.

You make some very good points, especially in regard to analysis paralysis. Having something up and running is usually better than chasing perfection. I didn't realize that the sites you present to leads contained a placeholder logo and dummy text; sounds like you have a real domain sales factory that is working. Good on you :)

•••
If you guys are having difficulty in deciding on a template to use, simply go to similar websites to get a feel of what others are doing.

•••
Latest was Chicago Firewood. Some name, I know. Held it for a couple of months and then out of the blue, someone Afternic BIN'd it for $350. In the summer time.

Finnish is pretty cryptic, true.

That's crazy. I've never had an end-user out of the blue reach out to me for a geo-domain. Kinda jealous. lol

I just want to strangle whoever came up with the 16 different case endings in Finnish.

•••
Just aquired:
1. PanamacityHomeInsurance.com (Panama city- capital of panama with more then 800,000 population and city in Florida with 20,000 population and if we count metro then 130,000
2. HendersonHomeInsurance.com (Henderson- city in Nevada with 260,000 population, in Kentucky 30,000 and in North Carolina 18,000)
3.StocktonClub.com (Stockton- city in California with 300,000 population)

Share your opinions and your recent domains which you aquired.

•••
Just aquired:
1. PanamacityHomeInsurance.com (Panama city- capital of panama with more then 800,000 population and city in Florida with 20,000 population and if we count metro then 130,000
2. HendersonHomeInsurance.com (Henderson- city in Nevada with 260,000 population, in Kentucky 30,000 and in North Carolina 18,000)
3.StocktonClub.com (Stockton- city in California with 300,000 population)

Share your opinions and your recent domains which you aquired.

I hope you do well with those, I don't own any insurance domain but interesting...

I recently hand registered honolulucomputerrepair.com I hope to find a buyer

•••
Well hello all...I hv AustinInsuranceAgents.com and Sanfranciscocouriers.com
Please any say on these ? Both good and bad
Still new so I guess they might be crappy

•••
When looking for the "service" or "goods" to add on to the geo part of the name, you may find it useful to go to www.Spyfu.com (you can just sign up for the free account - I have nothing to do with this site but find it very useful) and find out how many people are actually searching for that product or service and what the CPC is.

It makes more sense to me to go after the names with a higher value service than a lower value service - if a business is making more money per customer off one sale, then they may be more likely to consider purchasing a name which reflects that service.

So , for example, to me, "Fencing" would appear to have a rather better chance of a sale than " Clock Repair", since more people are looking for the first term and the CPC is higher reflecting a higher value product / service.

•••
Yes, it's good to go after industries and services which have a high dollar associated with the price of work they provide per customer. But then again, it's somewhat of a gamble since I did sell a city+clockrepair.com previously and could not sell my city+fencing.com name lol

Spyfu is good in that you will see if any companies are currently paying for that specific keyword/phrase in adwords advertising.

Google Keyword Tool is good to just see how popular the keyword/phrase is and how many people are searching for it in general, per month.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back