IT.COM

GD 60 Day Hold Question...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So I picked up a domain in the GD auctions a couple of weeks ago, found a buyer, and am trying to transfer it out, and I see the 60 day hold on the domain...

Called them up and they said that they can't remove the block, but I have "Unlocked" the domain and received the authorization code via email. Is there a chance since the domain is unlocked that I can still transfer it out to the buyer or is it false hope?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope, it's has to stay at GoDaddy for 60 days per their silly policy. However, you can always "push" the domain to the new owner within GoDaddy. Just have them open a GoDaddy account and then push the domain to their new GoDaddy account and you're done. Then they just need to wait the 60 days and then can transfer it wherever they like. Plus, a push within GoDaddy only takes a few hours in most cases. Hope it helps.

•••
Yes, I just sent them an email asking them to open a GD account.

Thanks...

•••
Exactly what Sully said except with all my pushed domains it only took a few minutes.

My wife will buy a domain for me sometimes and then she will push it into my account (that sounded weird :|) and its there within minutes.

:)

•••
When ever you get a new domain in your account, it has to stay there for 60 days. New registration, winning an auction, domain transfer, etc. I believe you can change accounts if you buy the domain from an end user pretty quickly though as long as it goes to a different GoDaddy account.

•••
Hi! The best way is have them open a Godaddy account.I ran into this problem awhile back.

•••
Everyone seems to lament the 60day registrar hold on a domain ownership change at GoDaddy. But I've encountered this rule at a lot of registrars. It's not an issue for me, as I can understand the security aspect of it.

So what I'm curious is actually which registrars don't have this rule?

•••
I don't know any company which has a 60 day hold on a change of owner other than GoDaddy. What you might be experiencing is the 60 day hold on new registrations. That's an ICANN rule and all ICANN accredited registrars follow it.

Last edited:
•••
Anytime a domain name is transferred from one account holder to another the 60 day lock is restarted. The only way around this is to have the EPP code and then buy a transfer in to the new registrar if the current owner has "aged" the domain 61+ days. The domain needs to unlocked for this to work.
Hope this helps.

•••
What you might be experiencing is the 60 day hold on new registrations. That's an ICANN rule and all ICANN accredited registrars follow it.

Ok thanks, that must have been it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back