Dynadot

GD transfer lock for 60 days after whois changes without warning

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Plato

Top Member
Impact
GD transfer lock for 60 days after whois changes without warning...

We sold today one of our domains. Because many buyer forget to update the whois data, we changed our personal contact informations to our Anonymize Inc. whois contact before the domain transfer.

And: Surprise, surprise. It was not possible anymore. GD locked the domain transfer to other registrars for 60 days. The new buyer, a very, very, very big company must now wait 60 days or create a new GD account.

I knew about the lock. But only a few weeks ago the GD system always warned you with a system message like: "if you click OK to change the whois contact data the domain transfer for your domain "example.com" will be locked until xx.xx.2015" or something like this.
But there was no warning message today, so I accepted the whois contact change. I simple thought this 60 days lock doesn't apply for aged domains and because there was not such a warning, I accepted the whois contact changes...

After I wanted to get the authorization code to initiate the domain transfer I became the simple system message: "Transfer locked until x/x/2015: Contact information change"

Surprise, surprise! GREAT! :-/

The buyer is a very big company. Now we have to explain what happened and why they must create either a GD account for a push or wait 60 days...

I called the GD support. I spoke with 3 persons from 3 different departments. I was over 1 hour on the phone. The solution: yeah, this can happen... We CAN remove the transfer lock in this case. Please send us an email to [email protected] and explain the situation. Then we will remove the transfer lock.
Let's see if they really remove the lock as promised.

This was a big lesson today... and If we're unlucky we lose the deal.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's normal behavior of all registrars.

When people transfer the domain, there is an option to change contact details. Let your customers take care of it, it's customers responsibility anyway.

•••
Yeah... But why not let your customers KNOW about the transfer lock BEFORE you accept the whois contact changes to prevent a 2 months transfer lock?

How ever... I think we lost our deal. Lesson learned.

•••
•••
Coupons? Ok... What about coupons? As "loss compensation"?

Yeah...Maybe this is better than nothing if the deal is lost...

Last edited:
•••
Coupons? Ok... What about coupons? As "loss compensation"?

Yeah...Maybe this is better than nothing if the deal is lost...

Not what I meant, but you can try.

You lost the deal. Many people have been screwed up by godaddy in the past - but people keep going back to them because they save a few bucks with coupons that they have to hunt around to find.

•••
Honestly, the most coupon codes (old ones and often also new ones) don't work anymore for me since a long time...

•••
May I suggest transferring to another registrar when it comes time for renewal? You can avoid a lot of these headaches that come with godaddy policies.

•••
•••
•••
@domainerfella Many thanks! This gives me hope! I'm still waiting for an answer from the GD support (review360@...)

Yeah, I know exactly this agreement fom (I accept thingy...). But there wasn't a warning about it the transfer lock. Nothing. Nada. And i'm 100% positive about it. Otherwise I wouldn't accept... I must also mention, that I canceled the GD whois privacy before I updated the whois. Next time i take a screenshot.

However. Thanks your very much for the thread link. This gives me hope!

•••
@Domaineus so you mean to say you have all the review360 rules in place for consideration and you sent them all? If yes, there is nothing to worry. They will remove the lock. Give the client a beer to drink meanwhile.

•••
If they are such a big company then it is surely no trouble for them to create a new account and be done with the deal in a few minutes rather than put you and them through the waiting and the hassle. Their loss as much as yours.

Hope you get it sorted.

•••
This was a big lesson today... and If we're unlucky we lose the deal.

No they'll understand. People can be more reasonable than you think. They are aware that unexpected delays can happen.

I think it's normal behavior of all registrars.

Nope not true. Only GD does this for whois changes. With other registrars the transfer lock is only 60 days from registration, transfer in, or renewal. You can change whois all you like without locking up your domain for transfers.

•••
Update: The GD removed in this case the transfer lock for the domain after only 2 days.

The deal is not lost :)

GD removed in this case the transfer lock because the domain had no transfer lock before the update of the registered name holder (the listed registrant).

Note: The email is [email protected] (not review360@...)

Happy ending :)

•••
GD removed in this case the transfer lock because the domain had no transfer lock before the update of the registered name holder (the listed registrant).
So this means you do not have to provide them with your business license but just email them and they removed the transfer restriction in 2 days, correct? And this is only possible because the domain was unlocked before you added organization info in your whois? If the domain had a lock and you edited the whois, you are going to have to pass all the requirements of the review60 team. I think GD is doing this to make transfer out a pain in the neck. Please clarify.

•••
So this means you do not have to provide them with your business license but just email them and they removed the transfer restriction in 2 days, correct?
Exactly. This domain was registered (1-2 years ago) with my personal GD account.

And this is only possible because the domain was unlocked before you added organization info in your whois?
In this case this was possible because the domain had no transferlock before I removed my personal data from the whois.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back