IT.COM

discuss Full Time Domainer?

NameSilo
Watch

Are you a full-time domainer?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    25.9%
  • Not yet

votes
    38.1%
  • On the fence

votes
    13.0%
  • No, and don't plan to be

votes
    23.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

There are lots of different types of domainers out there. Full time, part time, on the fence, and so on. Would love to hear stories from all over the spectrum, what are the positives and negatives, etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you seriously suggesting that somebody starting in 2015 flipping a few domains has the potential to build what you call a "domain empire"? You started 8 years ago if we go by your start date, hows it going? Where's your empire?
Frank Shilling started around 2002, he's a latecomer. But he did well eventually. He took big chances too.

I think it's never too late. But to do domaining today, you need funding. It's almost impossible to build a healthy portfolio on handregs nowadays.

Frank Shilling belongs to a very unique and restricted circle. Maybe there are 20 individuals like him and Rick, who make a living from domaining. They are not representative at all.
But there are more people making a living from domaining, on a smaller scale.

For most domainers, domaining is a hobby. It's not a business.

The registrars and the registries are also making a living on domains right :)
I think we could say Donuts is a domain empire.

•••
A more recent public example is Andrew Rosener:
remember that Drew and his company built this portfolio in 5 years. Rather than get jealous, be inspired. It shows what can be accomplished even if you’re β€œlate to the game”.
β€”DomainShane

•••
β€”DomainShane
Jealousy and envy can be more time consuming than actually putting your thoughts together and building a business without regards of caring about what everyone else is doing.

Eight hours a day and you spend 3 of them asking yourself, "Why can't that be me?" or on a good, free, training course, a business plan, or anything productive.

5 years is a feasible goal for anyone.

I've made my mistakes (5 year member, more in late 90's with other names, but a whole 'nother story on its own that if I look back on, it would only revert back to my statement of jealousy and envy, except regret).

I learned, and keep pushing forward.

•••
•••
Not by most of the definitions that I can find.

Here's one: "an occupation or profession, especially one requiring special training"

You've already stated that domaining requires special training in your previous posts, so you're arguing that it's not an occupation or profession?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

•••
β€”DomainShane

Well thank you for supporting my assertion that most domainers are in fact "internet entrepreneurs", you've just named somebody who had previously started a software company, and then had a career in business, and has numerous developed websites!

Now please explain how providing him as an example in any way counters assertion that domainers should aim higher and cast their nets wider by become developers, and build businesses instead of merely flipping domains?

Andrew Rosener owns various developed sites, he is doing precisely what I advocate!

•••
Now please explain how providing him as an example in any way counters assertion that domainers should aim higher and cast their nets wider by become developers, and build businesses instead of merely flipping domains?

I never said there was anything wrong with that. In fact, if you read my first post in this thread, you'd see that's my preference too. One of my points from the beginning is that you don't need to do anything else other than flip domains to build a domain empire. It's a personal preference whether you build/run additional businesses as well. Neither choice is more admirable than the other. They're just different flavors of entrepreneurship.

Andrew Rosener has shown that it's possible even if you begin at a time when all the lazy people tell you that it's impossible.

No one said it was easy, but it is possible.

* Edited to add clarification.

Last edited:
•••
My point from the beginning is that you don't need to do anything else other than flip domains to build a domain empire

And my point from the beginning is that people should aim for the stars.

I hope you aren't implying that I've said that success is impossible by the way, as I feel that would be disingenuous and inaccurate.

•••
I think we need a new poll. We should ask about revenue. There is no way 24% of respondents do this full-time. I wish we could see who voted for what.

•••
Look, I wish anybody the best of luck if they pIursue domaining as a business, and I do believe that there is some good money to be made.

I just think that if they do build up some capital they would be looking to diversify into other areas and other industries, and it would be fair to point out that some of the most famous and successful domainers are not exclusively domainers.

It seems a bit limiting to dedicate yourself entirely to one niche industry when it goes hand in hand with so many others.

Almost all of the well known domainers have developed web businesses. Surely these all go hand in hand:
  • Web development
  • Web design
  • Domaning
  • SEO
  • Investing
Why become a 'domainer', why not become an 'internet entreprenuer'?

Domaining could be just just one facet of a multi-faceted business. Entreprenuers are always looking for opportunities. That's why I said that domaining isn't a "career", who's going to give you a promotion? It's a "business venture", and I stand by that.

Businessmen / entreprenuers are always looking for opportunities and looking to diversify. Adam Dicker, for example, claims to own 12 successful businesses. Look at his linkedin profile and you will find 3 that are domain related.

He isn't a domainer, he's an entrepreneur who owns several domain related businesses.

Domaining = business.

If somebody wants to be a full-time entrepreneur then good on them, if domain trading forms a large part of their business operations then good on them.

It still isn't a "career" though, its a business, like any other which involves buying something and then selling it. Whether that's a domain name or a smartphone.

You used the phrase I always use Pug, Internet Entrepreneur that way it encompasses everything like how @David Walker mentioned.

•••
I think we need a new poll. We should ask about revenue. There is no way 24% of respondents do this full-time. I wish we could see who voted for what.

Pushed for full-time about 5-6 months ago, 4-fig/mo in profit. Aiming higher :)

•••

Good point, the real question is how many members make enough money from buying and selling domains to support themselves without any other income ?

•••
Good point, the real question is how many members make enough money from buying and selling domains to support themselves without any other income ?

Exactly. xxx per month does not constitute full-time, imo. You could earn the same amount working at McDonalds.

•••
Pushed for full-time about 5-6 months ago, 4-fig/mo in profit. Aiming higher :)

Thats awesome!! Truly FULLTIME in thread concept! Good luck!

•••
Thanks. It really depends on where are you living. In my case $4-fig is way above av. income.

•••

I agree. I think in some cases "full-time domainer" = "unemployed".

•••
•••
In my country (Montenegro) average wage is 500e, so with low 4-figures here you can have very good lifestyle...

•••
In my country (Montenegro) average wage is 500e, so with low 4-figures here you can have very good lifestyle...

I'm a little jealous. :P

•••
Like 'Internet Entrepreneur', I often say I'm a (full time) Web Worker, primarily because our industry's nomenclature is so skewed-up:

If you buy and sell domains, you are not a "Domainer".

ER: a suffix used in forming nouns designating persons from the object of their occupation or labor (butcher; carpenter; officer, doctor, lawyer, gardener ...).

In other words, if you just buy and sell meat you are not a Butcher, buying and selling wood does not make you a Carpenter. Buying and selling law or medical books does not make you a Lawyer or a Doctor. And buying and selling seeds does not make you a Gardener.

So, how is it that if you just buy and sell domains you're a "Domainer". It's a big word, that encompasses the Entire profession. Simply buying and selling does not cover "Domaining".

We all know that if you buy meat (etc. etc.) and try to sell it 'off the truck' you are a Scalper. Just like scalping Tickets. And, if you are also pushing ('parking') 'ads' -ie caps & jerseys from a table (site) .... then you are also a Vendor. But you are certainly not a 'Baller'.

Vendor:
Generally, a supply chain vendor manufactures inventory/stock items and sells them to the next link in the chain. Today, the terms refers to a supplier of any good or service.

Scalper:
n. One who scalps tickets to popular entertainment events: buying them in advance and then selling them (e.g. online or just outside the venue of the event), often at inflated prices.

n. A person on an open exchange trading floor who buys and sells rapidly for his or her own account, aiming to buy from a seller and a little later sell to a buyer...

A Domainer, is like a gardener / farmer... you buy the land/domains... layout the landscape plan -based on the needs of your crops / portfolio; plant the creative and physical 'seeds', tending ("developing") your crops / garden over time... from which you can harvest the flowers and 'fruits of your labor', until you decide to sell the land.

Also, "Developing" means Working... "the garden" in whatever field... its not an end in itself... so the distinction (Domain Vendors) use between a ""Domainer and a "Developer" is a false dichotomy.

•••
I have been buying/selling domains part-time (this is my only job/source of income, no need to work full-time) for past 6 years. Buying the right domains at key price-points, patience, self-discipline are just some of the keys to succeeed in the name space.

•••
It's easy to say you're a full time domainer while living in Mom's basement. I think to come up with a real answer you need to make the categories based on money alone. It is very easy to say you are a full time domainer when you live in another country because the cost of living is much lower than it is in the United States.

So the poll should be, How much money Net not Gross do make each month domaining? This way we can make a logical conclusion whether that is really a full time domainer income or not, no matter what country you live in.

A. $1-500
B. $501-$2,500
C. $2,501-$5,000
D. $5,001-$10,000
E. $10,001-and up

•••
It's easy to say you're a full time domainer while living in Mom's basement. I think to come up with a real answer you need to make the categories based on money alone. It is very easy to say you are a full time domainer when you live in another country because the cost of living is much lower than it is in the United States.

So the poll should be, How much money Net not Gross do make each month domaining? This way we can make a logical conclusion whether that is really a full time domainer income or not, no matter what country you live in.

A. $1-500
B. $501-$2,500
C. $2,501-$5,000
D. $5,001-$10,000
E. $10,001-and up

I like the idea of that poll.
But you are under the wrong impression that it is very easy to be full time domainers for people outside the US. First of all, there are very few English speaking countries cheaper to live in than US. Native speaking will always have the edge.

•••
I like the idea of that poll.
But you are under the wrong impression that it is very easy to be full time domainers for people outside the US. First of all, there are very few English speaking countries cheaper to live in than US. Native speaking will always have the edge.
I didn't say that. I said it is very easy TO SAY you're a full time domainer when you live in another country.

•••
Thanks. It really depends on where are you living. In my case $4-fig is way above av. income.
hey there's ppl in the U.S. that wouldn't complain with that amount either.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back