IT.COM

discuss Full Time Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you a full-time domainer?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    25.9%
  • Not yet

votes
    38.1%
  • On the fence

votes
    13.0%
  • No, and don't plan to be

votes
    23.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

There are lots of different types of domainers out there. Full time, part time, on the fence, and so on. Would love to hear stories from all over the spectrum, what are the positives and negatives, etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so, according to the poll, there is roughly 76% chance that an opinion we see in the forum comes from a non full-time domainer?..

That's an interesting stat

Last edited:
•••
It is a meaningless stat though.... you could have a full time domainer selling 15 x $50 domains a week, and a part time domainer selling 1 x $5000 domain per month.

What one person considers a full time living may $2000 a month if they are currently a Walmart employee. What another considers a full time living may be $30000 a month if they are currently an attorney.

Somebody earning average wage in India may consider themselves rich if they can earn $1000 a month.

Somebody earning average wage in the USA would need to earn, what, $3000+ just to reach their current income.

Its all relative.

It is surely better to earn $5000 per month domaining part-time than it is to earn $5000 per month domaining full-time, and as discobull said above..... that's partly my point. The question is a loaded one which doesn't give much of an insight at all.

A better question would be "How much have you earned domaining in the past 12 months?", that would give a better insight into the earnings potential and how many are making what YOU consider to be a full time income.

Because there could be people who have ticked 'Yes' who are earning $500 a month, and people who have ticked 'No' who are earning $2500 a month, because of geographic region and how much they can or do earn in their day job.

•••
I've read all your opinions so far and I have only 1 conclusion.

I am 100% in agreement with the guy who says we aspire to be fulltime domainers because I have that passion.some of you have lost the passion and some pretend to have it.

•••
Been full-time+ with [my company] selling domains for 3 years. I'm knowledgable in selling brandables through there but I must say I wish I knew more about selling domains in other ways. Without [my company] I don't think I would have a clue on how to survive full-time with domaining. Great question, love reading these answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Been full-time+ with [my company] selling domains for 3 years. I'm knowledgable in selling brandables through there but I must say I wish I knew more about selling domains in other ways. Without [my company] I don't think I would have a clue on how to survive full-time with domaining. Great question, love reading these answers.

Doesn't hurt that you're the owner.

•••
Doesn't hurt that you're the owner.

Sure doesn't. Prob the only way I would be able to do it full-time. I'm sure not a lot of brandable sellers are doing it full-time, or am I wrong? I sure wasn't full time when selling at BB.

•••
Sure doesn't. Prob the only way I would be able to do it full-time. I'm sure not a lot of brandable sellers are doing it full-time, or am I wrong? I sure wasn't full time when selling at BB.

Are you able to share the number of domains you sell per month? I'd be curious to know how brandables do. It's a niche I've stayed away from.

•••
Are you able to share the number of domains you sell per month? I'd be curious to know how brandables do. It's a niche I've stayed away from.

The numbers definitively fluctuate but overall it averages about 1 domain sale per day.

•••
The numbers definitively fluctuate but overall it averages about 1 domain sale per day.

That's pretty incredible. Do you have an insanely large portfolio?

•••
That's pretty incredible. Do you have an insanely large portfolio?

Oh I don't mean just my names, I meant that's what [my company] does overall, including my names and all the other names listed there. My own portfolio is 570 domains.

•••
Some of the cons are:
  1. It can be lonely
  2. I don't get enough natural sunlight
  3. A lack of real life social interaction
  4. You can become insular and introverted
  5. It could be difficult for me to get a real job after 5 years of self employment, due to a lack of references.

This is why i never want to be a full time domainer!

•••
I've been a full time domainer since 2007 and love every minute of it

•••
I’m currently a full time domainer and I can tell you, it’s not for everyone.

For starters there’s the level of risk and inconsistency in sales – some weeks you’re sitting on top of the world and other weeks all you’ll be wondering how you’re going to make ends meet.

Then there’s the level of stress. If you can’t find good domains to sell or if your domains aren’t selling you’re always going to be worried and ripping your hair out. That alone is enough to drive some people nuts.

And just like in all businesses you have to hussle in order to survive. In sales you eat what you kill and if you can’t get any sales then guess what? You ain’t eating. If you can’t sell your domains you’re not going to last very long in this game.

And just like PugDomainsLtd said, you do get lonely at times but if I’m honest it doesn’t really bother me as I’m naturally a bit more introverted than the average person.

Personally I love this game as it suits my personality perfectly but I know it won’t work for most people as there’s just too much risk involved in it for them and it’s a very introverted profession.

•••
I wouldn't call my self a domainer yet even tho i am glued to the computer or phone every second of the day ignoring the rest of the world to study the things in the domain industry.I eat sleep and shit domains. Let me correct my self when i sleep its 2am i'm still writing on the forum. There's something about this that is extremely addicting. Maybe its my desire to learn and become good at this. I haven't sold 1 domain yet but i know as time goes on and i learn which domains are really worth buying and for what price I should pay i will make some sales and this will all be worth it.

•••
•••
Really not enough options in poll to be a full time depends on your definition. A full time domainer might also be a marketer or a web developer or designer also. To only earn a living buying and selling domains would be a fairy tale and to make use of traffic domains you purchased would make you more than a domainer.

•••
What constitutes a domainer? Is there a job title for that?

I do much more than buy and sell domain names, but it is full time.

Title.... how does "Domaintologist" sound?

From the "Church of Domaintology"...

Or "Domainalyst"... one part Domainer... one part Analyst...

Or "Domainiture"... one part Domainer... one part furniture... (my wife says I'm a couch potato)

-Jim

ps: Domainer P/T. My "day job" covers the mortgage, domaining pays for toys.

•••
ps: Domainer P/T. My "day job" covers the mortgage, domaining pays for toys.
Domaining pays for both.

What was intended by that question was clarification on what a "domainer" is being referred to as.

Is it one whom solely buys and sells domain names? One that parks? One that develops? One that purchases as a long term investment? Etc., ...add in the social (IM) aspect and micro-management of some of them.

A "domainer" is a broad term. A "domain name investor" is as well because the name could have been bought for various reasons.

So, yes, I am a full time domainer, but I do by far more than invest in names; though everything I do revolves around domains.

•••
Domaining pays for both.

What was intended by that question was clarification on what a "domainer" is being referred to as.

Is it one whom solely buys and sells domain names? One that parks? One that develops? One that purchases as a long term investment? Etc., ...add in the social (IM) aspect and micro-management of some of them.

A "domainer" is a broad term. A "domain name investor" is as well because the name could have been bought for various reasons.

So, yes, I am a full time domainer, but I do by far more than invest in names; though everything I do revolves around domains.

@David Walker -

Thanks for the reply.

In the "ps", I mentioned "Domainer P/T" as I buy/sell domains part time and doing so is not my sole income.

I did the title spin as a fun word blend to highlight there is likely a wide view of what a "domainer" is and that some have more passion than others on their beliefs of whether buying/selling domains is a passion or their bread & butter (sole income) or both.

I hope you took my reply as such and didn't take it in a negative sense.

Regards,

-Jim

•••
I hope you took my reply as such and didn't take it in a negative sense.
Not at all. Hopefully, if you desire, you can be a full time domainer as well. :)

•••
But I suspect you'd be on to better things as soon as you hit a few hundred thousand, and that's when you'll start to see domaining as a means to an end.

Every business is a means to an end if you're not passionate about it. It has nothing to do with the business and everything to do with your personal preference.

Five years ago I graduated from uni and in attempt to avoid having to get a real job again, working for bosses that I didn't like, I tried to make some money online. Five years later I'm still making a full-time living online. During that time all these things have been true, although most are no longer true:
  • I've owned a network of sites generating 1m+ unique visitors per month.
  • Made $5000+ a month affiliate marketing
  • Made $2000+ a month through Adsense
  • Been hired as an SEO consultant
  • Managed a PPC campaign for a Fortune 500 company
  • Flipped a few domains and sites
  • Made $3000+ a month selling kindle books
  • Had two years in which I've cleared $100k in profit
After all of the above collapsed / was dissolved at various points I now import and sell physical products on ebay. See, there are 101 ways to make money online, of which domaining is just one.

Perhaps considering my start point you could say that we even have some similarities. I can identify various pros and cons, some of the pros are:
  1. I've actually had a fair bit of money, at times.
  2. My life can't be made miserable by a boss who sucks
  3. It can be liberating at times
  4. I can take a day off when I want
  5. I save shitloads in fuel costs with no daily commute
  6. I get a bit more time in bed in the morning and can work in my PJs
Some of the cons are:
  1. It can be worrying when you rely entirely on yourself
  2. It can be lonely
  3. I don't get enough natural sunlight
  4. A lack of real life social interaction
  5. You can become insular and introverted
  6. It could be difficult for me to get a real job after 5 years of self employment, due to a lack of references.
  7. You need to be REALLY self-disciplined
  8. I'm paying my own heating/cooling bills
I got a real buzz out of the first 18 months of working for myself, online, it was really exciting. That does wear off.

Actually, now it feels a bit limiting and unfulfilling. I miss working in a team, the camaraderie of getting through something as a group, and the pats on the back when you do something right, having an xmas party at the end of the year.

I just feel that it is fair to point out that making a full time living online from your bedroom (or loft conversion, in my case) isn't always a dream or glamorous. Sometimes it really sucks.

If you are willing to take any advice from somebody who is probably more similar to you than you think, and has been at the stage you are currently at, then here are two pieces:

1. Get yourself an SAD lamp to make up for the lack of natural sunlight
  2. Go and do half a day a week volunteering or something, for the reference and the semi-formal social interaction.
You are also choosing a "career" as you call it (I'd really start viewing and seeing it as a business venture) which may or may not have a long term future.

Do you see yourself being a domainer in 10 years time? What happens if you are a full-time domainer for 5 years and then have to get a real job? Where are your references? What transferable skills do you have?

The natural progression would be to build some capital and build a real online business.

And that's why I say that you should dream big.

You want a full-time career selling domain names on flippa.... I say that you should aim to one day build the next flippa (and by that I mean an online business, not a copy cat site).

Why just domaining? Why not also developing? Why do you want to become a domainer selling names to people who build million dollar businesses, why not one day acquire the domain upon which YOU will build one of those businesses for yourself.

You think that I am being negative towards your dream here. I'm not, I'm actually saying that YOU should be MORE positive, by aiming HIGHER and thinking about what become successful at domaining would enable you to achieve. I'm just telling people that domaining should be a stepping stone towards achieving a dream which has been formulated with more foresight and ambition.

So no, I don't think that domaining would be particularly "fulfilling" in the long term. I honestly think that by that time you'll have moved on to bigger and better things.

These are not industry-related limitations; they are your limitations, probably due to your own choices or having a non-sustainable business model that doesn't allow you to grow your business(es).

Build a viable business, open an office, hire a team, repeat. Then you'll have people around you every day. Camaraderie at every turn. Plenty of domainers have done this. Others choose to work from home.

A successful online business (including domain-related) gives you the freedom to do whatever you want: have an office with lots of employees or work in your underwear. It's your choice. The domain business doesn't dictate one or the other. Many businesses do, but not a domain business. That is the benefit of building one.

I've pointed out that people should be aiming higher in life and using domaning as a means to an end.

This is a billion dollar industry; it's not possible to aim much higher than that.

Building a domain empire would offer just as much as, if not more than, the majority of other businesses in the world. None of the businesses you've mentioned are better. They scale much slower, actually. Sales are sales. It doesn't matter what you're selling: domains, traffic, candy, or anything else. Research and development are more beneficial to the world than sales, but neither can exist in a business without sales. They are interdependent.

And ultimately, that vision of utopia where you can travel around with a laptop isn't as fantastic as people make out, because you'd still end up spending 60 hours a week glued to a laptop surrounded by four walls, self-employment online = long hours indoors.

That's your choice. If you have a real online business with profits, you can afford to hire people and delegate.

•••
Every business is a means to an end if you're not passionate about it. It has nothing to do with the business and everything to do with your personal preference.

That's true, I suppose.

These are not industry-related limitations; they are your limitations, probably due to your own choices or having a non-sustainable business model that doesn't allow you to grow your business(es).

Build a viable business, open an office, hire a team, repeat. Then you'll have people around you every day. Camaraderie at every turn. Plenty of domainers have done this. Others choose to work from home.

A successful online business (including domain-related) gives you the freedom to do whatever you want: have an office with lots of employees or work in your underwear. It's your choice. The domain business doesn't dictate one or the other. Many businesses do, but not a domain business. That is the benefit of building one.

Can you provide a single example of a successful domainer who pays somebody a salary to sit and do domaining for them? How long until that person becomes a competitor, copying your methods?

This is a billion dollar industry; it's not possible to aim much higher than that.

That's a small industry!

Building a domain empire would offer just as much as, if not more than, the majority of other businesses in the world.

Are you seriously suggesting that somebody starting in 2015 flipping a few domains has the potential to build what you call a "domain empire"? You started 8 years ago if we go by your start date, hows it going? Where's your empire? You've already said that the entire industry is worth just $1bn per year, how many "empires" can exist within that? Considering ebay has $9bn in cash reserves...... and that 3D prototyping is already worth $6bn a year.

None of the businesses you've mentioned are better. They scale much slower, actually. Sales are sales.

Bit confused here actually, what businesses have I mentioned? If you mean the ways that I've earned money, then this is a mute point, because I wasn't telling people they are better than domaining. You have probably taken this wrong, I was just illustrating that I have actually made a living online.

That's your choice. If you have a real online business with profits, you can afford to hire people and delegate.

I do run a real business, with profits, with an employee (just one at the moment). So again, not really sure what your point is here. I don't think many domainers would hire people to manage their domain assets in fairness, brokers perhaps for specific names, direct sales to generate leads perhaps, but it would require a lot of trust to allow them to sit and reg domains for you, or trust them with your cash to purchase?

If you taught somebody how to buy valuable domains and sell them for huge profits, how long are they going to sit and take your salary to make you rich, when will they decide to start regging domains for themselves?

Domaining is a solitary business, it seems ludicrious to me that you think that somebody could employ a team of domainers to do domaining for them...... I'm happy to be corrected if you can provide an example, just can't see it myself. Perhaps two high net worth individuals could pool their cash together to invest in premium domains, but they'd still be regging and buying on their own!

Last edited:
•••
Can you provide a single example of a successful domainer who pays somebody a salary to sit and do domaining for them? How long until that person becomes a competitor, copying your methods?

Compartmentalize... Many companies do it on their own portfolios: ArcheoDomains.com, HugeDomains.com, DomainMarket.com, BuyDomains.com, etc.

That's a small industry!

I'd agree with you if I meant "one billion," but since no one knows the exact number, I used a generic phrase that can apply to any industry worth at least one billion and less than one trillion. Social is a billion dollar industry, too.

Are you seriously suggesting that somebody starting in 2015 flipping a few domains has the potential to build what you call a "domain empire"?
Yes, without a doubt.

I do run a real business, with profits, with an employee (just one at the moment). So again, not really sure what your point is here.

My point is that the cons and limitations that you listed are not the result of a domain business or any online business.

I don't think many domainers would hire people to manage their domain assets in fairness, brokers perhaps for specific names, direct sales to generate leads perhaps, but it would require a lot of trust to allow them to sit and reg domains for you, or trust them with your cash to purchase?

If you taught somebody how to buy valuable domains and sell them for huge profits, how long are they going to sit and take your salary to make you rich, when will they decide to start regging domains for themselves?

You've oversimplified the process. I don't have the time to explain it in detail to you, but Morgan Linton has written about doing this with his domain business on his blog. You can read about it on there. Many others have done the same thing.

•••
Look, I wish anybody the best of luck if they pIursue domaining as a business, and I do believe that there is some good money to be made.

I just think that if they do build up some capital they would be looking to diversify into other areas and other industries, and it would be fair to point out that some of the most famous and successful domainers are not exclusively domainers.

It seems a bit limiting to dedicate yourself entirely to one niche industry when it goes hand in hand with so many others.

Almost all of the well known domainers have developed web businesses. Surely these all go hand in hand:
  • Web development
  • Web design
  • Domaning
  • SEO
  • Investing
Why become a 'domainer', why not become an 'internet entreprenuer'?

Domaining could be just just one facet of a multi-faceted business. Entreprenuers are always looking for opportunities. That's why I said that domaining isn't a "career", who's going to give you a promotion? It's a "business venture", and I stand by that.

Businessmen / entreprenuers are always looking for opportunities and looking to diversify. Adam Dicker, for example, claims to own 12 successful businesses. Look at his linkedin profile and you will find 3 that are domain related.

He isn't a domainer, he's an entrepreneur who owns several domain related businesses.

Domaining = business.

If somebody wants to be a full-time entrepreneur then good on them, if domain trading forms a large part of their business operations then good on them.

It still isn't a "career" though, its a business, like any other which involves buying something and then selling it. Whether that's a domain name or a smartphone.

Last edited:
•••
It can be a career, by every definition of the word.

(Business context)

•••
Back