Dynadot

Full-time Domainer or just a Hobby/Part-time?

NameSilo
Watch

Are you domaining full-time or part-time?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
I was reading an interesting NP thread earlier today that has a poll on how much profit domainers are making on average /month ( https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-much-do-you-earn-from-domaining-per-month.958903/ ) . There are already some interesting results such as "Around 52% of all domainers who voted make less than $100 a month." and " Around 10% of all domainers who voted make more than $5K /month".

I figured it would be a nice idea to also have a poll on how many domainers are doing this full-time compared to doing it as a hobby/part-time to have a better understanding of the previous poll and to be able to compare the results.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Part time here
Spend a lot of time in early 2000s then got busy with life and job.
Now trying my hand again here

•••
•••
100% hobby

The reason it's fun is because I don't have to stress about overall profitability - as long as I break even I'm good, everything over that is a bonus "beer money"... well, OK, make that a "gadget money" (e.g. my new laptop).

•••
•••
•••
Definatly as a hobby. As with most business ventures you need to speculate to accumulate which requires a certain amount of capital to start with. Its a vicious circle as to make money domaining you need to commit alot of time and effort as well as that capital which most people dont have because they work a full time job already and cant give it up because they need to money. In my probably quite missguided opinion, I think it would be quite easy to make money in domaining if I started with alot of money.

•••
Still a hobby but working on to make it full time. I know it will be hard work but if you are in contact with the right people to share knowledge that will help. I joined Mike from @DomainSherpa DNAcademy and we have every Saturday a Google hangout with Mike and some other people to share our domaining journey.

Beside that we are in Skype group so we talk to each other every day. This is just a small part of my dream to make a full-time domainer.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Started as a hobby now a part-time business running in the background

•••
•••
I forgot to mention, I'm also a full-time domainer. ;)

•••
•••
Part-time as part of an overall IT / Web services business

•••
Hobby, and many of the domains I own are suited to use for my dayjob......

•••
•••
Very successful hobby for me. Which is weird considering the amount of time I actually put in is very minimal since i am gone working 13 hours a day offline.

•••
I am a full-time hobby domainer but seriously considering to turn it into a part time business by the end of 2016.

•••
Very successful hobby for me. Which is weird considering the amount of time I actually put in is very minimal since i am gone working 13 hours a day offline.
Same here. I started out getting the names that I think could be good for my own business. Then I started to register some names outside my profession. That got a little out of hand and now I have a couple of hundred. About 50 .nl, some .net and .com and a whole bunch of gtld's (mainly .online).
My regular business takes most of my time, so domaining is something I do in between and in the evening/ weekend. I dont care if I dont make money right away. And even if the new gtld's would fail (based on logic I dont believe this, but always a possibility) then it was a relatively cheap hobby.

•••
•••
Addictive full time but slowing down. Always selling, inevitably buy more…

•••
Part-time business. Full-time would be awesome! Maybe next year...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back