Domain Empire

Full-time Domainer or just a Hobby/Part-time?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you domaining full-time or part-time?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
I was reading an interesting NP thread earlier today that has a poll on how much profit domainers are making on average /month ( https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-much-do-you-earn-from-domaining-per-month.958903/ ) . There are already some interesting results such as "Around 52% of all domainers who voted make less than $100 a month." and " Around 10% of all domainers who voted make more than $5K /month".

I figured it would be a nice idea to also have a poll on how many domainers are doing this full-time compared to doing it as a hobby/part-time to have a better understanding of the previous poll and to be able to compare the results.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am a full-time hobby domainer but seriously considering to turn it into a part time business by the end of 2016.

•••
•••
•••
Started as a hobby now a part-time business running in the background

•••
•••
Part-time business. Full-time would be awesome! Maybe next year...

•••
•••
I'm a full time domainer, albeit in the early stage. I'm not making a ton yet, but keeping my roi as it is, I am having a promising start.
It began as a hobby about a year ago, then I had stopped completely due to rl issues..

Now I'm back, working completely from home. I'm learning many new things and diving head first, finding an edge to separate myself from the mundane 9 - 5 business...

•••
Web developer and domainer full time, - I do not work for anyone from 2010.

•••
Hobby for me.

Where I live, to live in dignity, you need at least 2500 euro ($3k) per month.

Quite impossible to make that money in a month, every single month, with domaining.

•••
Full time for 9 years now... The market has changed a lot since I started out and it keeps changing.

•••
•••
•••
Very successful hobby for me. Which is weird considering the amount of time I actually put in is very minimal since i am gone working 13 hours a day offline.
Same here. I started out getting the names that I think could be good for my own business. Then I started to register some names outside my profession. That got a little out of hand and now I have a couple of hundred. About 50 .nl, some .net and .com and a whole bunch of gtld's (mainly .online).
My regular business takes most of my time, so domaining is something I do in between and in the evening/ weekend. I dont care if I dont make money right away. And even if the new gtld's would fail (based on logic I dont believe this, but always a possibility) then it was a relatively cheap hobby.

•••
Addictive full time but slowing down. Always selling, inevitably buy more…

•••
Interesting that many are part time or do it as a hobby compared to full time. I know one aspect of the hobby part that I like is there is no sales pressure ever. I make enough parking to cover renewals and all the new purchases to make the parking portfolio grow. If I do not like the sale I can walk away pockets still making money. The F-OFF low baller factor I call it.

•••
Half domainer, half Forex trader

•••
Conclusion? There are a boat load of part-time domainers buying high priced domains and earning less than $100 per month. .

Or different subsets of people responded to 3 separate surveys.

•••
Some interesting surveys this week:
  • ~75% are domaining part-time
  • ~50% have bought a domain that cost $1,000 or more
  • ~50% are earning less than $100 per month
Conclusion? There are a boat load of part-time domainers buying high priced domains and earning less than $100 per month. Maybe it's time for some to re-examine their business plan.
I am a part-time domainer. Mainly as a hobby. Im building up a portfolio and im in no rush to sell. And some domains I buy for my business. So I bought a .com recently for $$$ and havent sold anything in that month. But still I think theres nothing wrong with my "business plan".
Not much can be concluded from these little surveys.
Being a domainer might require skills, but being a statistician probably requires even more.

•••
What is your system for being a successful domainer?

"Full-time" - but doing this part-time.

Once you have a system/model in place, there is no need to work full-time hours.

•••
Into domaining solely for fun reasons. I like and explore all technicalities around it, made myself a script to monitor domains and parse whois data and manage all domains at different registrars with a single script. Also did a lot of analysis on drop processes of all major tlds, though it's impossible to compete against professional dropcatching services with direct registry access.

•••
I started part-time in 1998, and was able to go full time in 2002. So it's a 14-year-old business for me.

I feel I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, especially during the 2001-2002 drops, and I doubt I could become a full-time domainer if I had started now.

If you started post-2008, you'd need to be a very astute trader to remain full time.

I agree finding great domains at the right price is harder everyday. That is why I work 8h + a day just on brainstorming, auctions and looking at the drop list. Most of the time the domain names I want are sold way over my budget. However, I always find some domains that are way undervalued so I can make a profit right away.

I am now working on my startup. Something realated to domains so I can get a more stable income.

•••
Part time hobby but hard on the way to develop it to a fulltime hobby

•••
I'm just starting few months before, and I'm a full time, No returns till now, But I like it very much to be here and doing domaining and I think I'll make it in the near future. I hope I can soon after I get my first domain sale, I can join DNAcademy with Michel Cyger and Skype Group, I like very much his DomainSherpa resources of aricles and videos, It's amazing one.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back