NameSilo

From ugly to $1 million, guy wants to trade up his ugly domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domaindigger

Account Closed
Impact
I just saw this on digg and wanted some perspective. This guy wants to trade up his oneuglydomain.com for a more "beautiful" one worth $1 million. It's like that oneredpaperclip idea, but with domains.

My question is, does he have a chance or is this just a parody? I have a couple of dead domains I wouldn't mind trading for if I can feed off the publicity this might generate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't think it's going work but good luck to him :)

•••
Jay said:
I just threw 6 domains his way which are not posted yet.
He posted them up now but there aren't any offers for 6 domains, only for 4. Are you sure you offered them?

texasgamer said:
I jumped on the bandwagon an sent him a name!
What domain did you offer?

NuPagady said:
I offered him MillionaireSOON.net
That's actually a pretty clever domain! :)

ppx said:
Don't think it's going work
I don't think he's going to get the $1 million either to be honest, but I wonder if he'll end up with one worth 5 or 6 figures... :| He's off to a pretty good start, but this could just as easily lose steam rather quickly. If the momentum keeps up, I think he can eventually get one worth at least 5 figures. If he loses momentum, though, he'll probably end up with one worth $1k max, I think. I suppose, again, it'll also depend on whether the media picks up on this and whether it gets linked to by other high PR sites.

•••
I think he might have a chance of pulling this off and here’s why.

Domain names are speculative by nature, as we all know. He's not going to jump from his domain to the million-dollar domain in one or two trades, there might be hundreds until he reaches his goal. Just for thought even if he only ends up with an name in the $XXX,XXX.00 range he still is a winner.

Anyway back to my original thought. There are a lot of domineers that do not agree on value of specific names so as long as he's careful in his choices he can keep flipping and trading names. An example would be that I have a name that I do not feel is worth the name being traded, and make a trade, now another person really likes the name that I traded and trades a name with just a little more value to someone else.

The other thing to be considered is the marketing. This site has the potential, because of this exposure to advertise domains that otherwise other parties might not be aware of their availability. Plus you mix in human emotion, were more then one person likes the same name, and he gets a decent name. Example, a person over paying for names at Snap & Pool, because they get caught up in the moment.

Either way it will be interesting to watch his progress.

•••
CrazyEddie said:
Anyway back to my original thought. There are a lot of domineers that do not agree on value of specific names so as long as he's careful in his choices he can keep flipping and trading names.

He actully does not decide which domain to get, the visitors are going to vote about which domain to choice so it really depends on the people visiting the site and of cause the domains people are offering to trade :)

•••
domaindigger said:
He posted them up now but there aren't any offers for 6 domains, only for 4. Are you sure you offered them?

gave him 6 but one was a .net version of the same name so he said the .com is good enough and the other one was 28 letters so he passed on it. :hehe:

•••
CrazyEddie said:
Just for thought even if he only ends up with an name in the $XXX,XXX.00 range he still is a winner.
Well he's almost a winner anyway - some domains in the list are much better than oneuglydomain.net, he's about to exchange one less than reg-fee worth of domain to something better.

I have already seen some of domains in the list before. Seems like most of people who sent their domains to him are NP members.

•••
I just offered him the US Capitol: 1600PennsylvaniaAvenueWashingtonDC.US
:hehe:
Curious to see if he accepts it.
I have no idea why I regg'd it... :lol:

•••
OneUglyDomain for OneBeautifulDomain!

OneBeautifulDomain.com is available, if someone wants to offer him that. :hehe:

•••
BloGamble said:
OneBeautifulDomain.com is available, if someone wants to offer him that. :hehe:
I saw that, but he says he wants "A beautiful domain" :)

•••
Pretty good idea, but waiting almost two months between each trade is absolutely ridiculous. Just thinking about it immediately made me tired of the site.

•••
Interesting idea, I doubt that anyone would give him a domain worth one million dollars.

•••
airwav said:
I saw that, but he says he wants "A beautiful domain" :)
Someone actually registered that yesterday. Whoever it was, clever guy. :hehe:

One ugly domain guy apparently just got offered to choose a domain from a list of ones worth $2000 each, although I don't know if those domains he gets to pick from are actually worth that much (just cuz the owner says so doesn't mean a buyer would be willing to pay that amount). Not bad though, I guess.

•••
•••
:sold:
I see he put up my: 1600PennsylvaniaAvenueWashingtonDC.US :hehe:
I didn't think there would be enough space in his column for this...

•••
domaindigger said:
One ugly domain guy apparently just got offered to choose a domain from a list of ones worth $2000 each, although I don't know if those domains he gets to pick from are actually worth that much (just cuz the owner says so doesn't mean a buyer would be willing to pay that amount). Not bad though, I guess.

I don't think I saw many $20 names on that list besides $2000.

•••
Ben42 said:
I don't think I saw many $20 names on that list besides $2000.

What do you mean?

•••
domaindigger said:
What do you mean?

I think what he means is that most of domains in that list are worth $20, not $2000.

•••
Excuse but am i missing something here ?

So say the public voted for a better domain in exchange for oneuglydomain.com.

Doesn't that mean he will not have access to oneuglydomain.com but rather will have to move the content and all to the new domain?

And repeat that when the next exchange takes place ?

Or is it like the first to exchange with him has to wait til the whole thing is over ?

Probably the latter thinking about it...but it's not quite clear to me.

•••
He is not selling oneuglydomain.com but oneuglydomain.net and keeps the blog at the .com version.

•••
It seems that many of the offered domains are parked and linked through the site - is this not a bit dodgy...?

•••
I have gotten 4 uniques on "1600Pennsylvania
AvenueWashingtonDC.US", since he listed it yesterday.

It obvious did not get much traffic prior to this...;)

•••
airwav said:
I have gotten 4 uniques on "1600Pennsylvania
AvenueWashingtonDC.US", since he listed it yesterday.

It obvious did not get much traffic prior to this...;)
Well good luck with it - I just wasn't sure if this would break any rules about linking/driving traffic to parked domains. I guess you didn't link to it so maybe that's okay..??

Good idea though - I've just offered a 1plus parked domain and will hopefully get a free backlink and some traffic :hehe:

•••
I offered one MagnificentDomain.com for oneuglydomain. net :hehe:

•••
briman1970 said:
Pretty good idea, but waiting almost two months between each trade is absolutely ridiculous. Just thinking about it immediately made me tired of the site.
Now it looks like he's going to change it so instead of having one looooooong round of offers, he's going to have several within the 60 day period, each with their own voting period, and then a final voting between the winners of each round which will decide the domain he trades with at the end of the 60 day period.

Sounds a bit complicated...

•••
There is no chance this will work since it is such a blatant ripoff of the old "paper clip" scheme. He may end up with a couple of worthless domains someone will throw him for free, but that's about it. Unfortunately many people haven't seen something like this before, although it's been done, and are willing to give it publicity.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back