sales From $2,888 and $4,400 quote to $15,888 domain sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hi everyone,

It’s been a fantastic year for myself and I would call it one of the best year overall in terms of domaining.

Hope the post title doesn’t confuse any one as I want to clarify this at first. The price of $2,888 was quoted to inquirer A and $4,400 was quoted to inquirer B and finally the buyer who acquired the domain is different from them. Also the timings of all 3 price quotes differ very much from each other.

First, I would like to admit my mistake that I by mistake set the price of $2,888 for Digital-Identity.com after acquiring the domain around 3 years back. So when the first few inquiries came in, I quoted $2,888 without realizing too much of the set price. The domain didn’t got sold for $2,888 as the buyer wasn’t interested at that price.

In 2018, I received inquiry via DomainAgents where the buyer initially offered $3,321 to which I quoted $4,400. Buyer came back with $3,321 again without moving a little so I gave my final offer of $4,000. Eventually the domain wasn’t sold.

I was suppose to do repricing of domains which was long due and did the repricing around some time in 2018 during which I finally set the price of $15,888 for Digital-Identity.com. The new price was quoted to several inquirers including one interested buyer coming via Uniregistry broker with an offer of $5,000 which I happily declined. This inquiry came in mid 2018.

Fast forward to 25th December 2019, I received an email from Afternic saying the domain Digital-Identity.com sold for $15,888 at BIN.

So yes, I openly admit my mistake of setting the price very low in past and it can happen with any one. At least, I realized and changed to what I think was the right price to set for Digital-Identity.com and I’m very happy to sell this domain for what it sold for. Also this is my highest hyphenated domain sale.

Feel free to share your domain sales if you want and/or give your feedback on the above domain sale.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congratulations @AbdulBasit.com,

Your sales are beginning to look like there's magic involved. So, where did you get the magic wand?

:pompous:

•••
•••
@AbdulBasit.com also are they set on
make offer only.
or make offer + bin.

vertical layout make offer.
or vertical layout submit inquiry and get price quote.

Yes, all my domains are registered with Uniregistry. Also using same sales lander like you shared an example Black.com. One of my domain you may check is PrintFactory.com

•••
Congratulations @AbdulBasit.com,

Your sales are beginning to look like there's magic involved. So, where did you get the magic wand?

:pompous:

Hahaha thanks mate :xf.love:
I think magic wand is called hard work, consistency and patience of the last 8-10 years that looks to be paying off well now :xf.smile:

•••
The right buyer will pay full value. The wrong buyer will not. But too often we are approached only by the wrong buyers and end up selling before the right one comes along.

Good job.

•••
Yes, all my domains are registered with Uniregistry. Also using same sales lander like you shared an example Black.com. One of my domain you may check is PrintFactory.com
Thanks.
Black.com and PrintFactory.com both use same lander (vertical layout).

But Black.com has the make offer box,
while PrintFactory only allows you to submit an inquiry and get a price quote (PUR or price upon request).
I understand PrintFactory doesn't have any BIN, while G/R/O does.

Are you using PUR on unpriced domains,
and make offer on BIN domains?

There's some debate around make offer vs price upon request, what is your take on that?

•••
Congrats on a stellar year @AbdulBasit.com - wishing you all the best for 2020 and please keep sharing your journey with us all!

•••
Congrats on the spectacular sale Abdul Basit, thanks for sharing your success. Hope things working out for you in Malaysia apart from domaining.
If I'm not wrong you have around 3.5k names now, knowing you working with mainly high quality names: how many serious offers your receive monthly excluding the $20 lowballers?

Wishing you even better 2020!

•••
wow, congratulations, what an inspiration to other domainers, you are. (y)

•••
Wow...very big Congratulations

•••
Thanks.
Black.com and PrintFactory.com both use same lander (vertical layout).

But Black.com has the make offer box,
while PrintFactory only allows you to submit an inquiry and get a price quote (PUR or price upon request).
I understand PrintFactory doesn't have any BIN, while G/R/O does.

Are you using PUR on unpriced domains,
and make offer on BIN domains?

There's some debate around make offer vs price upon request, what is your take on that?

I find PrintFactory layout brings in more inquiries than GRO because the minimum offer cuts down the number of inquiries with less budget than the minimum offer to be submitted via form.

Also I use possibly on GRO that particular minimum offer thing as all my other domains are using PrintFactory type lander which I consider the best way. GRO is exceptional and I'm not interested in entertaining any offers below 100K which is why you see that.

•••
Congrats on a stellar year @AbdulBasit.com - wishing you all the best for 2020 and please keep sharing your journey with us all!

Thank you Doron!
I highly appreciate your sharing on your blog and making our community more closer and stronger.
Hope you'll have 2020 as the best year and beat the records of 2019 which I see was the best so far for you in domaining.
Best wishes!

•••
Congrats on the spectacular sale Abdul Basit, thanks for sharing your success. Hope things working out for you in Malaysia apart from domaining.
If I'm not wrong you have around 3.5k names now, knowing you working with mainly high quality names: how many serious offers your receive monthly excluding the $20 lowballers?

Wishing you even better 2020!

Thank you!

Nice to see you remember I've shifted in Malaysia :)

I'm absolutely loving it here and enjoying my life.

I ended the 2019 with having little over 3400 domains. I usually never separates the lowballers inquiries but if I roughly calculate the number of inquiries every day including lowballers, spam as well as genuine one's are 450-500 per month.

Feel free to comment how you consider these numbers...

Best wishes!

•••
hello Basit, would you kindly guide us in your free time.

in which year you started domaining and with how much capital

what was your first domain sale

when was your first five figure sale from the time you started domaining

how was first 2 years in your domaining career and what challenges you faced at that time

how you managed your cash flow in earlier days of your domaining

how many domains or for how many months/years you sold high quality domains at low sacrificing price just to keep on going with domains.

your wisdom, your knowledge sharing is helping many domainers, they look upto you for your teaching, opinions and investment strategies, etc.

thanking you in advance
Q8

•••
Started full time domaining in 2010. Capital was around $10,000.

First domain sale - Argentina.cc for $740 sold in 2011.

First five figure sale - BuyMobiles.net for $20,000 in late 2009. The domain was in partnership with someone so didn't NET the full amount which is why the capital amount above doesn't reflects the same you see with this sale as this was done bit earlier when I actually started full time domaining.

First few years or couple of years, I'd to drop several .cc domains which I hand registered which I 100% believed would've sold for great profit in long run which I can confirm by now as well too but JUST due to lack of funds, I'd to drop them. I cannot forget that time period...

By living in Pakistan, it was pretty easy to manage. I mean the cost of living if we compare with U.S or any European countries where you can live easily for $500 per month including all your reasonable expenses.

Easily for more than 5 years I'd to sell for sacrificing price to keep things moving.

Thank you! :xf.smile:

•••
Great domain name and great sale.

I have a few hyphenated domains. They are valuable in various markets and for clarity when a company wants their name to be immediately understood on billboards etc when trains and cars are passing by. I call this "the glance test".

Last edited:
•••
Wow. I sold a digital-(keyword).king for low 4 figures, but the money was embezzled by paypal.
Bought another,.. maybe my asking price should also be in 5 figures, if this is the trend.
Whenever there is a big sale, "similar" domains are quickly grabbed by the crowd, although normally I can buy them without much competition (if interested, usually with lots of doubdt). You killed one micro-niche with this post ;)
Alternative to digital: binary, cyber, numerical...

Last edited:
•••
I find PrintFactory layout brings in more inquiries than GRO because the minimum offer cuts down the number of inquiries with less budget than the minimum offer to be submitted via form.

Also I use possibly on GRO that particular minimum offer thing as all my other domains are using PrintFactory type lander which I consider the best way. GRO is exceptional and I'm not interested in entertaining any offers below 100K which is why you see that.
Thank you.
I also think the PrintFactory lander is the best.
Price upon request is great at engaging and guiding the buyer.
Better than having them figure out an offer on a market they probably don't understand.

All the best for 2020.

•••
•••
•••

Would you mind sharing your first response to such inquiries?

I tried PUR for a few months and it didn’t work for me. 9 out of 10 leads never got back to me after I quoted the price. No surprise when low ballers were involved, but I also had two serious end users approached me recently for same domain, and they’ve disappeared after I quoted the price of 18K for a two word .com domain. They haven’t tried to counter and they responded with “not interested” on my follow ups.

I’m back to BIN + make offer for the time being.

I would love to see how you engage with your leads and prompt them to negotiate with your wording.

•••
Would you mind sharing your first response to such inquiries?

I tried PUR for a few months and it didn’t work for me. 9 out of 10 leads never got back to me after I quoted the price. No surprise when low ballers were involved, but I also had two serious end users approached me recently for same domain, and they’ve disappeared after I quoted the price of 18K for a two word .com domain. They haven’t tried to counter and they responded with “not interested” on my follow ups.

I’m back to BIN + make offer for the time being.

I would love to see how you engage with your leads and prompt them to negotiate with your wording.

It's the same no response at my end as well. Nothing much change at my end as well to share.
Most of the leads end up no where as the inquirer never responds back. I follow up twice at max to somewhat interested buyers and then never go back to them if they don't respond at all. If somehow one engages, I continue with the ongoing flow...

•••
Hi Abdul. I am interested about asking you one question. Do you close some sales talking by phone, calling the buyer?
Do you think that talking by phone directly with the buyer could help in closing successfully some deals?

I am thinking that talking to the buyer can clarify a lot of things in just one call, and mainly prevent to lose that buyer due to a lack of dialogue. You can solve all his doubts, questions, the call may give him also more confidence, and if you are good talking about the benefits of acquiring your domain, it can be a plus.

Thanks a lot for sharing your domain sales experience with us, and congratulations again for your success!

Last edited:
•••
Awesome sale/backstory, as always. Congrats!

•••
That's why I always like to read your posts @AbdulBasit.com because there's always something to learn from you. Thanks and congrats. All the best!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back