sales From $2,888 and $4,400 quote to $15,888 domain sale

NameSilo
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hi everyone,

It’s been a fantastic year for myself and I would call it one of the best year overall in terms of domaining.

Hope the post title doesn’t confuse any one as I want to clarify this at first. The price of $2,888 was quoted to inquirer A and $4,400 was quoted to inquirer B and finally the buyer who acquired the domain is different from them. Also the timings of all 3 price quotes differ very much from each other.

First, I would like to admit my mistake that I by mistake set the price of $2,888 for Digital-Identity.com after acquiring the domain around 3 years back. So when the first few inquiries came in, I quoted $2,888 without realizing too much of the set price. The domain didn’t got sold for $2,888 as the buyer wasn’t interested at that price.

In 2018, I received inquiry via DomainAgents where the buyer initially offered $3,321 to which I quoted $4,400. Buyer came back with $3,321 again without moving a little so I gave my final offer of $4,000. Eventually the domain wasn’t sold.

I was suppose to do repricing of domains which was long due and did the repricing around some time in 2018 during which I finally set the price of $15,888 for Digital-Identity.com. The new price was quoted to several inquirers including one interested buyer coming via Uniregistry broker with an offer of $5,000 which I happily declined. This inquiry came in mid 2018.

Fast forward to 25th December 2019, I received an email from Afternic saying the domain Digital-Identity.com sold for $15,888 at BIN.

So yes, I openly admit my mistake of setting the price very low in past and it can happen with any one. At least, I realized and changed to what I think was the right price to set for Digital-Identity.com and I’m very happy to sell this domain for what it sold for. Also this is my highest hyphenated domain sale.

Feel free to share your domain sales if you want and/or give your feedback on the above domain sale.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have been posting several incredible sales on NP. I checked GoDaddy valuation and see Digital-Identity.com is valued at $2,509 and also see the non-hyphen DigitalIdentity.com is $11,325 both of which seem high to me. In fact, I would not be likely to reg Digital-Identity.com for much more than reg fee let alone 15k so maybe I am missing something. Any idea how you are getting so many offers and such great prices?

First of all, congrats to Abdul!

Second, it would be nice if you mask the domain name when making comments of this nature, basically stating that the name is not worth even a reg fee.

Let's make it a safe environment for sharing sales info, if want to hear stories like this in the future too.

•••
Great sale

How did you come up with the new price? Was it a gut feeling? A comparable sale? Something else?

Gut feeling is always there while pricing but I rarely check comparable sales as that doesn't make much sense to me.

You may check this - https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-do-i-valuate-domains-and-set-an-asking-price.951601/

Also I would like to add one not so used to thing which can be helpful for everyone that try using Google News for your domain keyword which helps you understand the ongoing and future situation. This is another factor in pricing your domain. It's helpful IMO. Just need to use and understand according to the results :xf.smile:

•••
Started full time domaining in 2010. Capital was around $10,000.

First domain sale - Argentina.cc for $740 sold in 2011.

First five figure sale - BuyMobiles.net for $20,000 in late 2009. The domain was in partnership with someone so didn't NET the full amount which is why the capital amount above doesn't reflects the same you see with this sale as this was done bit earlier when I actually started full time domaining.

First few years or couple of years, I'd to drop several .cc domains which I hand registered which I 100% believed would've sold for great profit in long run which I can confirm by now as well too but JUST due to lack of funds, I'd to drop them. I cannot forget that time period...

By living in Pakistan, it was pretty easy to manage. I mean the cost of living if we compare with U.S or any European countries where you can live easily for $500 per month including all your reasonable expenses.

Easily for more than 5 years I'd to sell for sacrificing price to keep things moving.

Thank you! :xf.smile:

•••
Hi everyone,

It’s been a fantastic year for myself and I would call it one of the best year overall in terms of domaining.

Hope the post title doesn’t confuse any one as I want to clarify this at first. The price of $2,888 was quoted to inquirer A and $4,400 was quoted to inquirer B and finally the buyer who acquired the domain is different from them. Also the timings of all 3 price quotes differ very much from each other.

First, I would like to admit my mistake that I by mistake set the price of $2,888 for Digital-Identity.com after acquiring the domain around 3 years back. So when the first few inquiries came in, I quoted $2,888 without realizing too much of the set price. The domain didn’t got sold for $2,888 as the buyer wasn’t interested at that price.

In 2018, I received inquiry via DomainAgents where the buyer initially offered $3,321 to which I quoted $4,400. Buyer came back with $3,321 again without moving a little so I gave my final offer of $4,000. Eventually the domain wasn’t sold.

I was suppose to do repricing of domains which was long due and did the repricing around some time in 2018 during which I finally set the price of $15,888 for Digital-Identity.com. The new price was quoted to several inquirers including one interested buyer coming via Uniregistry broker with an offer of $5,000 which I happily declined. This inquiry came in mid 2018.

Fast forward to 25th December 2019, I received an email from Afternic saying the domain Digital-Identity.com sold for $15,888 at BIN.

So yes, I openly admit my mistake of setting the price very low in past and it can happen with any one. At least, I realized and changed to what I think was the right price to set for Digital-Identity.com and I’m very happy to sell this domain for what it sold for. Also this is my highest hyphenated domain sale.

Feel free to share your domain sales if you want and/or give your feedback on the above domain sale.

WOW what a heck of a sale/surpise ON CHRISTMAS! The 25th~

and a "hyphenated" one at that :) @Rob Monster

Big congrats! Very happy for you! Thanks for sharign again as always @AbdulBasit.com

Last edited:
•••
The right buyer will pay full value. The wrong buyer will not. But too often we are approached only by the wrong buyers and end up selling before the right one comes along.

Good job.

•••
Your posts are really helpful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

•••
Hi @AbdulBasit.com , Congrats on your sale,

What percentage of your portfolio consists of hyphenated domains, have you had success in this category beside the one that you just sold. do you get a lot of offers on other hyphenated domains that you have. (digital Identity is certainly an important keyword).

IMO

Thanks!

I've up to 2% of hyphenated domains in my portfolio. Also this being the highest and first 5 figure hyphenated sale.

Since the % is very less, the chances of getting inquiries and sales are almost nothing. Also I rarely acquire hyphen domains as they're very slow in selling. Also I don't do outbound, so I've to consider this factor as well before buying. Still after making this sale, I wouldn't rush and start buying hyphen domains but will mostly invest in 1-2 word English brandable .com domains.

•••
what is spectacular for many of us, has become normal for you. congrats Basit & wish you more in 2020.

would you kindly guide us with the following in your free time

am i right if I say that all your domains are pointed to uni landing pages (make offers)? and bin set at dan, afternic, sedo, epik, etc. what is the minimum price you set for make offers

how often you change pricing of your domains, weekly monthly or quarterly.

meaningful ngtlds are also selling hot, would you invest or already invested in it
whats you are take on ngtlds?

current ngtlds opportunities are like goldrush considering all good .coms are already gone & there is fierce battle in .com expired domain auctions at DC where a newbie don't stand a chance. Hence, is it really wise for domain investors to ignore ngtlds & concentrate only on .com

what special about your domain pricing which ends with 888 :), others also use this pattern. what's the secret.

thanks in advance!

I highly appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much!

But seriously speaking, I feel as happy as anyone and I take every sale of mine as valuable as one should take it.

I'm happy to answer your questions but going through that many, I thought why not I should start AMA (Ask Me Anything) where everyone can ask me anything :D

Yes, all my domains are pointed to Uni landers make offers. Also I recently listed with Dan but none of the offers are serious one. Also all the domains are listed at Sedo and Afternic with almost all domains having BIN.

Minimum price I set varies but usually when it's $1988 or $2988 BIN so the minimum also is the same. When the BIN is $12888 so the minimum is $6888 or $9888.

I'll be repricing my domains next year after around 1 year or so.

I don't invest in ngTLDs and won't be doing in future too. The best and safest is .com so I don't bother for other extensions even though there is high competition but the reward is the most fruitful.

I've no idea what's the secret for others for using 88/888 at the end. Also I don't follow others in this regard. But I use it for several reasons like not to end with round figure. Makes the buyer think it's somewhat calculated according to market.

•••
•••
Great sale

How did you come up with the new price? Was it a gut feeling? A comparable sale? Something else?

•••
First of all, congrats to Abdul!

Second, it would be nice if you mask the domain name when making comments of this nature, basically stating that the name is not worth even a reg fee.

Let's make it a safe environment for sharing sales info, if want to hear stories like this in the future too.

You are right, my bad. I forgot to do that too late now to edit, maybe a mod can do it for me?

P.S.I have asked a Mod to do it.

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations once again on another outstanding sale and, thanks for providing the interesting and pertinent circumstances surrounding the sale!

You do have a natural eye for buying, pricing and selling domain names!

As has been mentioned, it is particularly noteworthy that the name is hyphenated and yet you were willing and able to hold on to the name while awaiting " your price ".

Again, a great sale and thanks for providing the backstory of the domain name.

•••
Actually I have a question for you Abdul...

You have your portfolio listed on your own private website, as well as on various marketplaces. With the domains not being directed directly to your private site do you still get the occasional sale there?

If so - in those cases do you think it is just someone browsing your site and they see a domain they like?

Are you referring to DomainsWeb.com and/or AbdulBasit.com?

If yes, I rarely get any inquiry via both sites and have never sold through them. But yes, building those sites especially AbdulBasit.com have given lot of authority and trust among the endusers who many times have transferred the domain at first before I've sent them funds when both parties are happy not to use any escrow service.

Although domain haven't sold directly via those sites but the trust and built good relationships I've got matters the most to me.

•••
I was suppose to do repricing of domains which was long due and did the repricing around some time in 2018 during which I finally set the price of $15,888 for Digital-Identity.com.
Which is another great example that sometimes domains won't sell because the pricing makes them look cheap and hence not attractive :xf.eek:

•••
You have been posting several incredible sales on NP. I checked GoDaddy valuation and see D/i/g/i/t/a/l-I/d/e/n/t/i/t/y.com is valued at $2,509 and also see the non-hyphen DigitalIdentity.com is $11,325 both of which seem high to me. In fact, I would not be likely to reg Digital-Identity.com for much more than reg fee let alone 15k so maybe I am missing something. Any idea how you are getting so many offers and such great prices?

Last edited:
•••
You have been posting several incredible sales on NP. I checked GoDaddy valuation and see Digital-Identity.com is valued at $2,509 and also see the non-hyphen DigitalIdentity.com is $11,325 both of which seem high to me. In fact, I would not be likely to reg Digital-Identity.com for much more than reg fee let alone 15k so maybe I am missing something. Any idea how you are getting such prices?

When a BIG$ ... I T Security Company -decides they want/need ( they pay up )...Many sales just boil down to "What's it worth/valued to by the buyer"...much like Misprint Trading Cards!

•••
Thanks.
Black.com and PrintFactory.com both use same lander (vertical layout).

But Black.com has the make offer box,
while PrintFactory only allows you to submit an inquiry and get a price quote (PUR or price upon request).
I understand PrintFactory doesn't have any BIN, while G/R/O does.

Are you using PUR on unpriced domains,
and make offer on BIN domains?

There's some debate around make offer vs price upon request, what is your take on that?

I find PrintFactory layout brings in more inquiries than GRO because the minimum offer cuts down the number of inquiries with less budget than the minimum offer to be submitted via form.

Also I use possibly on GRO that particular minimum offer thing as all my other domains are using PrintFactory type lander which I consider the best way. GRO is exceptional and I'm not interested in entertaining any offers below 100K which is why you see that.

•••
Congrats on the spectacular sale Abdul Basit, thanks for sharing your success. Hope things working out for you in Malaysia apart from domaining.
If I'm not wrong you have around 3.5k names now, knowing you working with mainly high quality names: how many serious offers your receive monthly excluding the $20 lowballers?

Wishing you even better 2020!

Thank you!

Nice to see you remember I've shifted in Malaysia :)

I'm absolutely loving it here and enjoying my life.

I ended the 2019 with having little over 3400 domains. I usually never separates the lowballers inquiries but if I roughly calculate the number of inquiries every day including lowballers, spam as well as genuine one's are 450-500 per month.

Feel free to comment how you consider these numbers...

Best wishes!

•••
Great domain name and great sale.

I have a few hyphenated domains. They are valuable in various markets and for clarity when a company wants their name to be immediately understood on billboards etc when trains and cars are passing by. I call this "the glance test".

Last edited:
•••
I find PrintFactory layout brings in more inquiries than GRO because the minimum offer cuts down the number of inquiries with less budget than the minimum offer to be submitted via form.

Would you mind sharing your first response to such inquiries?

I tried PUR for a few months and it didn’t work for me. 9 out of 10 leads never got back to me after I quoted the price. No surprise when low ballers were involved, but I also had two serious end users approached me recently for same domain, and they’ve disappeared after I quoted the price of 18K for a two word .com domain. They haven’t tried to counter and they responded with “not interested” on my follow ups.

I’m back to BIN + make offer for the time being.

I would love to see how you engage with your leads and prompt them to negotiate with your wording.

•••
Would you mind sharing your first response to such inquiries?

I tried PUR for a few months and it didn’t work for me. 9 out of 10 leads never got back to me after I quoted the price. No surprise when low ballers were involved, but I also had two serious end users approached me recently for same domain, and they’ve disappeared after I quoted the price of 18K for a two word .com domain. They haven’t tried to counter and they responded with “not interested” on my follow ups.

I’m back to BIN + make offer for the time being.

I would love to see how you engage with your leads and prompt them to negotiate with your wording.

It's the same no response at my end as well. Nothing much change at my end as well to share.
Most of the leads end up no where as the inquirer never responds back. I follow up twice at max to somewhat interested buyers and then never go back to them if they don't respond at all. If somehow one engages, I continue with the ongoing flow...

•••
•••
•••
Congratulations dear friend @AbdulBasit.com

Your details always helpful to learn. I always learning something different from each of your post.

Keep sharing. As I promised you I will start sharing sooner or later.

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back