IT.COM

discuss Flippa Domain Buyer opened Dispute on PayPal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Shams

Invest in Your Digital Future with Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
Few days ago i sold 1 domain on flippa and buyer paid me with paypal and today he open a Dispute on paypal.

What is the best way to deal with this matter. The PayPal put an hold on that amount.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Is there the ability on Flippa to sell to 2nd highest bidder if top bidder is a non-payer?

Like many others have repeated time and again, don't use PayPal for unknown/untrusted buyers.

•••
Buyer's remorse, real emergency...who knows. It's nice of you to offer to refund his money; he should pay any expenses you've incurred, of course.

•••
Is there the ability on Flippa to sell to 2nd highest bidder if top bidder is a non-payer?

Like many others have repeated time and again, don't use PayPal for unknown/untrusted buyers.

No. Flippa doesn't have the option to sell to the 2nd highest bidder if the top bidder has not paid.
But the seller give a second chance offer to the second highest bidder and if he/she accepts the offer then the sale would be proceeded.if not the seller may relist the auction for free

Last edited:
•••
Here's is content of the email which i received before he opened a claim.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi.

I bought the domain XXXX.com from you a few days ago, but I'm in desperate need of money and that $XXX was the only amount I had saved up. I need it for emergency reasons.

Do you think I could get a refund? I've been feeling very anxious and depressed about this to the point that I cannot get out of bed.

I don't know where else to get the money from. Do you think you could possibly refund it to me? I'm in an emergency situation right now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
lol i wonder if this is what he told paypal..

•••
I remember getting some sort of policy update from paypal about them extending the dispute time. I think it is 180 days now. At least this is what I found at ebay.

Effective Date: November 18, 2014

Dispute Filing Window

We’re increasing the time for buyers to file a merchandise dispute (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days. All references in the User Agreement to “Opening a Dispute within 45 days” have been updated to reflect “Opening a Dispute within 180 days.” The Sections these changes appear include the Introduction, 3.15, 13.2 and 13.5.

•••
Just found my email dated 10.28.2014:

• Starting November 18, buyers will have up to 180 days to file a dispute. In addition, custom-made products will be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection coverage if the item was not received. Make sure to retain proof of delivery and other evidence of your transaction for at least 180 days to be eligible for Seller Protection. If you receive a claim from a buyer, keep these updates in mind and respond in the Resolution Center as usual. For more detail on all of the User Agreement changes taking effect on November 18, take a look at our Policy Updates page.

•••
this is the weakest case I've ever seen , you can easily win this one. The bad scenario is when the buyer open a dispute about a physical item and you need to provide a tracking number to Paypal , and since paypal don't cover online items , the buyer can win. But this one is weak.

•••
I had a similar issue, but with a domain i sold on a site like namepros.

guy made a dispute months later for about $380 saying that he never bought the domains. I provided all PM screenshots, and other records, and won.

i was worried because people say that the seller always loses with digital types of products such as domains, but i won.

The only thing that sucks about this stuff is it puts the money on hold for so long, by the time the money was unlocked I had already forgotten about it. But its still nice not to be totally screwed.

•••
warning: potentially stupid question here but I really don't know how flippa transactions work as I haven't sold anything there.

When you sell a domain on Flippa, don't they act as the escrow for the transaction? So, in your case of dispute, shouldn't they act in your defence and keep you pretected from all the proceedings?
I also expected you not doing anything since it's their job as the escrow to sort such unfortunate incidents out

again, I have the impression that Flippa acts also as an escrow, I apologise if I'm mistaken.

Flippa is a marketplace, not an Escrow service. That said, we support both parties use of whatever payment methods they prefer. Flippa Escrow is built in (and is improving swiftly, I personally prefer it).

@Hypersot at the time of listing flippa give options to choose the payment method such as Escrow, Flippa Escrow and PayPal. unfortunately i use the paypal option instead of flippa escrow for quick payment. So Flippa isn't responsible. i have to handle it myself.

Unfortunately, this is correct. I am sorry this happened to you; it's a risk everyone takes when using PayPal and not knowing the buyer (which, let's face it, is hard to do - anywhere...)

Not in the way you're envisioning it (ala eBay) -- however it'd be nice to have that. Currently, and this applies to anyone who's had a deadbeat buyer, you are entitled to not only a free relisting, but a free re-application of whatever fee(s) you spent on the listing. Furthermore, you won't owe a success-fee on a defunct Flippa transaction, SO LONG AS YOU FILE A DISPUTE within the Flippa Sales Completion Area.

•••
Few days ago i sold 1 domain on flippa and buyer paid me with paypal and today he open a Dispute on paypal.

What is the best way to deal with this matter. The PayPal put an hold on that amount.

#1 rule in selling. Don't use Paypal!

I've lost $3,000 already...

They won't help the sellers. I've tried everything. They don't care about the sellers..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back