Dynadot

discuss Flippa Domain Buyer opened Dispute on PayPal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Shams

Invest in Your Digital Future with Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
Few days ago i sold 1 domain on flippa and buyer paid me with paypal and today he open a Dispute on paypal.

What is the best way to deal with this matter. The PayPal put an hold on that amount.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
warning: potentially stupid question here but I really don't know how flippa transactions work as I haven't sold anything there.

When you sell a domain on Flippa, don't they act as the escrow for the transaction? So, in your case of dispute, shouldn't they act in your defence and keep you pretected from all the proceedings?
I also expected you not doing anything since it's their job as the escrow to sort such unfortunate incidents out

again, I have the impression that Flippa acts also as an escrow, I apologise if I'm mistaken.

•••
@Hypersot at the time of listing flippa give options to choose the payment method such as Escrow, Flippa Escrow and PayPal. unfortunately i use the paypal option instead of flippa escrow for quick payment. So Flippa isn't responsible. i have to handle it myself.

•••
Before with PayPal you always lost a case if it wasn't a tangible item.

Now their policy has changed towards digital products but I see no mention about domains :-o

Does anyone know if domains are included?

•••

Google them. One I'm thinking of without researching is bitpay, this could be intigraded within your Website.

I don't use bitcoin but I know there are several ways to send and receive payments though different 3rd party platforms.

•••
Dose anyone has information. If the buyer file dispute or chargeback on a transaction but the seller already used that money on digital goods like ( renew or buy new domains ) and the seller has prepaid credit card on paypal. what will be happen.

•••
not sure your solution but always use escrow for future payments, I have seen way to many people get burned this way.

•••
Shams

if I were you I would try my best to solve the issue in a " friendly " way. Do your best to have your domain given back to you then refund the buyer.

IF the guy goes through PP you have a lost case in your hands as THERE IS NO seller protection for domain names. Even with the new rules and even if you provide all the info they require.
If there is any type of protection it is for the buyer not for the seller; keep that in mind.

Also you wouldn't be the first one seeing the amount taken from the PP account and given back to the buyer. People like you then tried to ask PP and they simply replied it is not us it is the bank.

Seriously. Get your name back and refund the buyer or you might risk ending up with no money and no name.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
If the domain is with GoDaddy and you push the domain there to the buyers GD account.

Just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as "Shams" and tried Godaddy's undo process. I think they allow 14 days after the push to contact them and grab the domain back.

I've never had to use this process, but if somebody started trying to make a chargeback or opening disputes with PayPal, etc. I'd have no problem testing GD's undo process.

•••
Before with PayPal you always lost a case if it wasn't a tangible item.

Now their policy has changed towards digital products but I see no mention about domains :-o

Does anyone know if domains are included?

The policy is for the buyer, not the seller. It covers intangible products, mainly, software downloads etc.

On another note, "buyer's remorse" is not a valid claim for PayPal. When asked, provide the evidence and they should close the dispute on your behalf. Also, out them (name, email etc.)

•••

Last edited:
•••
I think it's a closed case : the guy is trying to flip the domain right now here on NP so it appears a malafede situation.
Take screenshots of the thread where he is selling the name and keep it as a proof for paypal. Hopefully that will be enough.
Can you share the link of that thread.

•••
•••
Shams I have already posted it here and I have also tagged you in the thread
Actually the user with whom i have problem is another user and also the domain is different. I also sold dayy but for this domain payment is clear using flippa escrow and the buyer who bought this domain was very cooperative.

•••
Actually the user with whom i have problem is another user and also the domain is different. I also sold dayy but for this domain payment is clear using flippa escrow and the buyer who bought this domain was very cooperative.

Sorry then, I completely misunderstood.
I am going to edit my previous comments as I really don't want to affect anyone's reputation.

•••
When you sell a domain on Flippa, don't they act as the escrow for the transaction?

Their "escrow" is really only 1-sided, for the buyer. If the seller doesn't have proof that the domain was transferred, they could potentially never get paid.

Is there any way he can reopen dispute.

No. However, if he paid with a credit card (most likely), he could open a dispute with his bank. That would, in turn, open a dispute with PayPal, again.

•••
That's why it's especially important on Flippa to do your homework on the buyers/bidders before you let them bid. It's tempting to let new bidders with no history join to get bidding going, but if you're going to go that route make it an Escrow.com only for the payment option. If you allow anyone to bid and have paypal as the payment option, you will run into situations like this sooner or later. Know your bidders.

•••

You can use any providers like Bitpay, Coinbase or to your own wallet but it's weak side for buyer's b'coz there is no refund is possible if seller scammed.

Bitcoin with Escrow for domain transaction is great.

•••
Really really sucks when this type of stuff happens.

I once placed an auction for about a month on Flippa (for a website). At the end of the auction, the winning bidder told me some excuse as to why he didn't have money and to wait like 3 weeks. Needless to say, I was pissed. When you sell a domain or website, you want that money asap. You've invest so much time into selling it, and then a "non serious" buyer screws up everything.

You can always try to make a deal with the 2nd highest bidder, but then they try to low ball you.

•••
Dose anyone has information. If the buyer file dispute or chargeback on a transaction but the seller already used that money on digital goods like ( renew or buy new domains ) and the seller has prepaid credit card on paypal. what will be happen.

If the buyer files a dispute with paypal then you will win... If the buyer contact his credit card company or banking institution you will lose and Paypal will put your account in the negative and you'll have to pay paypal back.. A person can do a chargeback years after the transaction is completed..

•••
A person can do a chargeback years after the transaction is completed..

Where did you get that from? You have 60 days from the day of a credit card statement to file a dispute with the card issuer.

•••
Where did you get that from? You have 60 days from the day of a credit card statement to file a dispute with the card issuer.

It happen to me before, I sold a domain a few months later I received a charge totaling 3 grand. Plus I recently did a charge back on a designer I hire for a website back in April which is now in July and he still have not delivered goods.. I contacted my bank and got all my money back for non delivery of goods and services...

•••
You must be living outside of the US then, here it's 60 days.

•••
Paypal will tell you they can not do anything once you contact your bank...

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back