Dynadot

advice Fixing my domain settings at GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BusinessDirect

Established Member
Impact
So I've had a certain hand reg of mine since June. I had it parked in different places to try them out, since I am new to domaining, and I wanted to experience how each service works and looks.

Anyway, I ended up attaching this particular domain to a free Ucraft site for a while as a lander. When I realized I didn't want that, but to have the domain parked at DAN, I decided to delete the settings that attached my domain to the Ucraft site. It seems however that I may have deleted too much, and now no matter where I park the domain, I get this page when I visit the URL:

Capture.JPG

I tried contacting GoDaddy support since I'm such a hopeless noob and could not figure it out. Maybe my communication wasn't very good, because I don't think the person ever really understood that I just wanted my settings restored back to when I got the domain. Here are some snippets of our conversation:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

I just decided to end the conversation politely, as I could see I wasn't going to be getting anywhere.

The thing is, I know (or at least think I know) I'm not actually going to have to purchase a single thing UNLESS I make a website again. I did in fact have SSL as a free add-on with Ucraft, but anyway I'm now so lost as how to get my domain pointing correctly again without the privacy message. I just want to reset it to normal before pointing it to DAN again if at possible, but GoDaddy lacks resetting as a feature. Anyone have a similar experience before, and can give me an idea as how to proceed? Everything I have looked up so far has not helped.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Try this:
In GoDaddy under your name, click Products, then next to Domains select Manage All.
On the My Domains page, click on your domain name to go to the Domain Settings page.
Scroll down to Manage DNS and select it.
On the DNS Management page, under Nameservers, select from the menu "Default" or "Use Default Nameservers" - then select Save.
Then get out of GoDaddy, wiat 5 minutes, then go back in to the DNS Management for the domain. You should then be able to set Domain Forwarding to the landing page of your choice with no problems.

It is obvious the GoDaddy rep did not understand what you were asking. You only by SSL for your own web hosting (which is not what you wanted).

•••
Try this:
In GoDaddy under your name, click Products, then next to Domains select Manage All.
On the My Domains page, click on your domain name to go to the Domain Settings page.
Scroll down to Manage DNS and select it.
On the DNS Management page, under Nameservers, select from the menu "Default" or "Use Default Nameservers" - then select Save.
Then get out of GoDaddy, wiat 5 minutes, then go back in to the DNS Management for the domain. You should then be able to set Domain Forwarding to the landing page of your choice with no problems.

It is obvious the GoDaddy rep did not understand what you were asking. You only by SSL for your own web hosting (which is not what you wanted).

I have tried this before, but decided to try again. I first tried using forwarding instead of changing the nameserver, but I was given an error message and told to contact support.

Then I tried to change the nameservers again to Dan, only to be met with the privacy warning again. If I understand correctly, because my domain WAS with SSL on a website previously, Google remembers it that way and so now that I'm trying to switch things up, Google thinks there might be a website pretending to be the one I had, or something like that. I'm so confused.

•••
So then just change the nameservers to default and leave everything else alone. You can work on trying to get it to point to DAN later. There might be some A records or CNAME records that need to be changed or deleted ... I would recommend calling GoDaddy before changing any of those - don't use their online chat, you never get anyone good. What you want is for it to simply point to the standard GoDaddy page that says the name is taken. Then you can work on getting it to forward later.

•••
So then just change the nameservers to default and leave everything else alone. You can work on trying to get it to point to DAN later. There might be some A records or CNAME records that need to be changed or deleted ... I would recommend calling GoDaddy before changing any of those - don't use their online chat, you never get anyone good. What you want is for it to simply point to the standard GoDaddy page that says the name is taken. Then you can work on getting it to forward later.

Thanks Kpett! I'll do that. I really wish GoDaddy had some sort of reset button. Would make things a breeze when a mistake is made.

•••
Clear your cookies and history for this domain in your browser. That should do the trick.

Also perform a DNS flush. Google it to find out how.

It's probably a cashing issue. Your system stored the SSL but the domain actually serves a new cert after you switched.

Pm me the name and I can take a look.

•••
Clear your cookies and history for this domain in your browser. That should do the trick.

Also perform a DNS flush. Google it to find out how.

It's probably a cashing issue. Your system stored the SSL but the domain actually serves a new cert after you switched.

Pm me the name and I can take a look.

It worked! You taught me something, and I appreciate it very much. Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back