Dynadot

discuss First $XX,XXX domain negotiation, advice needed!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hello everyone,

I purchased a domain name in October for around $2,300, a week ago I received an email from a GoDaddy Domain Broker with an offer for $5,000, I've rejected this and asked for $13,000, the agent has come back with an offer today for $7,500 and says that this is the buyer's budget limit.

Do you guys recommend another counter offer in this case or can that scare the buyer away? Do brokers give up after 2 bids? Any input will be appreciated as this is my first large domain negotiation, thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the buyer may be also here, and strongly suggest you take it, pls don't counter more, he pray.....:)
2.3k cost, as a domainer, should we consider 23k return from ROI view?
anyway, 2.3k to 7.5k is quite nice...the 5k net profit allow u goto next even better name......if u do need the $ to invest other nice name.

•••
If you bought the name at an expired auction, it could very well be the previous owner. If you pass on the offer, you might be waiting forever for another interested buyer. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

•••
•••
Check: How many other names in the market that resemble yours / are close to yours and are for sale? What is their price range? In my opinion you can quote another counter offer but you may have to wait a little in case buyer isn't immediately ready...

•••
difficult to gauge without knowing the domain, but if your in a position to hold out do that or if you need the cash sell. After all, its good roi

•••
First off, congrats!

Tough to say given we don’t know the domain, the demand for the domain (how many inquiries, search volume, alternative domains, keywords, etc)

One thing I and many of my domainer friends don’t often factor in is opportunity cost. In other words, what can you do in the time being with the money you’d get from the sale instead of continuing to wait for the possibility of the right offer coming along?

For example if you pocket 7.5k, can you pocket a bit of cash, and then buy two similar quality domains (at around your purchase price) to the one for sale? If you can, you’re already richer, and you double the chance of another sale.

Either way, best of luck. I hope they accept your counter offer. That would be the ideal outcome.

Cheers

•••
Hello everyone,

I purchased a domain name in October for around $2,300, a week ago I received an email from a GoDaddy Domain Broker with an offer for $5,000, I've rejected this and asked for $13,000, the agent has come back with an offer today for $7,500 and says that this is the buyer's budget limit.

Do you guys recommend another counter offer in this case or can that scare the buyer away? Do brokers give up after 2 bids? Any input will be appreciated as this is my first large domain negotiation, thanks!
I don’t know. If you have the money then he’ll no

•••
First off, congrats!

Tough to say given we don’t know the domain, the demand for the domain (how many inquiries, search volume, alternative domains, keywords, etc)

One thing I and many of my domainer friends don’t often factor in is opportunity cost. In other words, what can you do in the time being with the money you’d get from the sale instead of continuing to wait for the possibility of the right offer coming along?

For example if you pocket 7.5k, can you pocket a bit of cash, and then buy two similar quality domains (at around your purchase price) to the one for sale? If you can, you’re already richer, and you double the chance of another sale.

Either way, best of luck. I hope they accept your counter offer. That would be the ideal outcome.

Cheers
You invest it in home repairs, stock market, a massage for yourself or significant other. No alllll day long.

I’m seeing a pattern by some sellers and it is t consistent so unfortunately I can’t comment. If it was I would t. Some it isn’t I can’t.
Either way it isn’t good
upload_2020-12-30_23-53-51.png

•••
I asked for $13,000 because BrandBucket had recommended a price of $16,000.

Hi

if bubbabucket had recommended price of $42K, then would your counter offer have been higher?

just asking...

imo...

•••
if you need money right now, offer 9K (asking 10-15% more is reasonable)
If you are ok waiting and think name will have another buyer sooner or later - Wait!
Good luck!

•••
take it and invest again in the same quality of domain names which at present represented by your 2.5k purchase. Can't say much because everyone's business model is different.

•••
3X ROI is just not worth the time in my opinion. Desperation and Liquidity is not a recipe for long term success as a domain investor. Stick to your original price at $13k.

Last edited:
•••
Hi guys, I didn't hear back since I countered with 13k over a month ago, but the broker emailed me today with a final offer of $10k(net, all fees on the buyer), I think I am going to take it as it will be my first big sale, if any experienced members want to give me their insight I will be happy to share the domain name via DM, thanks!

•••
Hi guys, I didn't hear back since I countered with 13k over a month ago, but the broker emailed me today with a final offer of $10k(net, all fees on the buyer), I think I am going to take it as it will be my first big sale, if any experienced members want to give me their insight I will be happy to share the domain name via DM, thanks!

Even without knowing the name, I would've probably sold it if I were you, unless it's really a domain that can fetch more because it has a lot of potential buyers

•••
a final offer of $10k(net, all fees on the buyer), I think I am going to take it as it will be my first big sale,

It is fine to take the deal because $10k without paying commission/broker fee is very close to your counter $13k(if you had to pay the fees). In my experience, "final offer" was never the real final offer, it was just a number authorized to the negotiator.

Last edited:
•••

Nice work. Without knowing the name it sounds like a good negotiation. A well picked $2.3k drop could be worth even more, but $10k is a good return.

•••

Thanks for letting us know and congrats on your 1st big sale! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back