First Facebook Page

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
Well i read you need a facebook page these days so i set one up , although none too sure if i did a good job

Bikinis

Yet the address is super long ?

Although maybe i am missing something , how could you advertise such a long site on the radio or anywhere for that matter ?

What are your facebook pages and what have you learned so far ?

Love to read your thoughts and experiences

was it worth it ? and what are some tips for us facebook newbies

I have my own page but this is one for my blog

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Who told you that you NEED (as in: MUST HAVE) a Facebook page? I am an artist and promoting my work heavily, and yet I don't use Facebook or MySpace. For people who don't have any work or brand to promote, it's even more optional.

Now I am biased, I admit, but I am very anti-Facebook. Capitalist nightmare in internet format, 1984 meets Brave New World. In theory the idea of networking and exchanging info while all is linked to a profile is good. The problem is the way people use it, and the way the folks like Zuckerberg run it. People make it a competition to have as many "friends" as they can, adding people they never even talked to. While exchanging news and info in theory is very useful, people use these tools to add the most pointless data such as "My date cancelled because she's ill, what am I supposed to do with my time now?" and guaranteed within the hour at least 5 to 10 even more pointless responses will show up. To find the useful info in between is like looking for a tiny needle in a haystick as big as the average US state. Then add the pointless apps and silly games, and you wonder why people massively fall for this hype.

To make it worse the people who run it have no ethics whatsoever. They sell users' private data to advertising companies. People know it, they know it and yet they don't care because they cannot miss their daily portion of pointless games and chats. This is 1984 and Brave New World crossroads.

A friend of mine cancelled her account and got a popup saying "are you sure you want to quit? What are you gonna do with your spare time now?". Talking of arrogance...

For some people the WWW is Facebook. In the past you had Skype or MSN Messenger for live chats, email for conversations with friends and family, sites to share your pictures, and sites to find info. Some people now seem to think all of that is now done via Facebook... Meanwhile they massively fail to see the wider picture.

And before anyone mentions: MySpace isn't any better... Luckily, seeing how slow those pages load, MySpace is about to crash. Good riddance. Now it's being patient until the Facebook hype blows over as well.

Again, I admit being biased, but summarised: Facebook is evil. It's just another hype, one run by people without ethics.

•••
someone who has succeeded with their website informed me of their facebook page transending into traffic on their 'normal site' so to be pro active i have done similar , it's cool you don't like face book but coming to my thread and ranting about the evils of a monopoly is nothing but a distraction to me

It's when you will have no choice ........ that you have to worry

•••
I have a facebook page 1000 + fans growing everyday for my blog. I get traffic via that. Facebook fanpage is like the new rss reader.

•••
Never tried creating a page in Facebook. But I will try. What is the advantage of having one?

•••
Go to facebook.com/username for a shorter URL

•••
Go to facebook.com/username for a shorter URL

i did try that just now but i need 25 fans from i can make out ??

......Hint , hint x 25

is a friend a fan ?

sorry still learning about this

thanks all for info do far !

:wave:

•••
Dunno.. I only have 14 friends on mine and had no problem unless there's a difference between a regular account and a fan page?

In the meantime, just use an url shortener service to direct people.

i did try that just now but i need 25 fans from i can make out ??

......Hint , hint x 25

is a friend a fan ?

sorry still learning about this

thanks all for info do far !

:wave:

•••
Thanks man rep added , when the shorter name was rejected there was a link with some info telling me i need 25 fans to get the shorter page so i guess i have to get 25 fans , although i can't recall seeing a fan link , i'll have another look tomorrow , you have me on the right track though so it's a start for sure thanks

•••
Thanks man rep added , when the shorter name was rejected there was a link with some info telling me i need 25 fans to get the shorter page so i guess i have to get 25 fans , although i can't recall seeing a fan link , i'll have another look tomorrow , you have me on the right track though so it's a start for sure thanks

I would just suggest the page to all your friends ... you will get at least 40 -60 likes.

•••
I would just suggest the page to all your friends ... you will get at least 40 -60 likes.

Ask your friends to like your page. If you have hundreds of friends then you will surely get more than 50 likes there.

•••
Never tried creating a page in Facebook. But I will try. What is the advantage of having one?

If you're running a business you should definitely be on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and all the top social networking sites. Social media can play a massive part in any business, giving you free marketing and exposure to your brand, product, website etc. Social media can also help you rank better in search engines! :)

•••
If you're running a business you should definitely be on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and all the top social networking sites. Social media can play a massive part in any business, giving you free marketing and exposure to your brand, product, website etc. Social media can also help you rank better in search engines! :)

This is of course why i am looking into it , but this avenue of marketing is becoming quite time consuming i think

•••

Thank you for the answers. I will try to have a page there.

•••
remember to like my page !

•••
yes that seems to be the case

•••
Can't you also point a domain to your Facebook page? I see other companies do it.

•••
Can't you also point a domain to your Facebook page? I see other companies do it.

your domain would have to be hosted , i think most would say if it is hosted make your own site as well with a link to facebook on the site

•••
I think you can just set a redirect via your registrar's control panel? Not sure..

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back