IT.COM

Expired domains security warning - Facebook/Gmail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MTB

Established Member
Impact
I recently registered an expired .com domain and set up a generic e-mail address. Within a few hours I was receiving emails intended for the previous registrant. One of the emails was from Facebook, and included a direct log-in link, which I clicked on (for curiosity, probably illegal) just to see if Facebook security was working. Unbelievably the link sent me direct to the previous user's Facebook account without asking for a password! I immediately logged out and contacted the previous registrant.Turns out they lost access to their e-mail account after changing telephone number, changed e-mail address and didn't receive the domain renewal e-mails.

The registrant later told me that they had previously set-up email forwarding on several generic e-mail addresses on the domain I registered, which all directed to a Gmail account - and the old registrant was receiving e-mails intended for me!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Turns out they lost access to their e-mail account after changing telephone number, changed e-mail address and didn't receive the domain renewal e-mails.

2FA is 2x risky. You can't login if you lose one of the factors.

•••
the old registrant was receiving e-mails intended for me!
How's that? The MX records are on your server, not theirs. How?

•••
Not sure. I set up a [email protected] email address after I registered the domain and they were getting my emails into their Gmail account. They'd previously set up the same email address and we were both with the same registrar. I emailed the registrar and they fixed it.

•••
It may be possible if
1 You use the registrar's MX server which was used by the old owner. Most likely registrar manually deleted the old email forward rule that was set by the old owner.
2- You use the same broken nameservers of the registrar.
"broken" because nameservers didn't update MX record with your new MX record. This is very unlikely but may be possible. If this is the case, most likely registrar has reloaded the DNS zone manually to resolve the issue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back