IT.COM

advice What to do with expiring domains associated with a recent domain acquisition?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

anantj

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

I recently acquired an expired domain (Via backorder auction) that I then configured to my hosting account and setup e-mail for. After a couple of days, I started receiving upcoming expiration notices for other domains which had the e-mail I setup as the registrant e-mail. I don't know the previous owner and have no way to contact them. I believe the domain was registered with a [email protected] e-mail address before it expired so unable to trace previous owner through historical whois.

Should I let the domains expire or renew them at my cost? Any other advice

Ps. At this time, please do not ask for the domain name in public!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're receiving renewal notices for domains you don't own through the new domain? They're not yours to renenw then? Please explain...

•••
You're receiving renewal notices for domains you don't own through the new domain? They're not yours to renenw then? Please explain...
Yes they are not mine. In fact, I realized I can't even renew them as I don't have access to the registrar accounts! In any case, if I could, it would be to keep them safe in the off-chance that the previous owner reaches out to me...

•••
there is nothing to be done on your part

•••
Should I let the domains expire or renew them at my cost?
Sorry, i'm bit confused. How could you renew domains which are not yours?

Even if you pay for their renewal, let's say hypothetically you get registrar emails with "no need to login" payment links, they are still possessed by another person...

Or do you mean something else.

•••
Is the registrar showing on the emails? If so, reach out to them and explain the situation and see what they say - they should be able to trace the owner quite easily and advise them on the siuation

•••
Sorry, i'm bit confused. How could you renew domains which are not yours?
I cannot myself but I can reach out to the registrar to do it (I think)

Even if you pay for their renewal, let's say hypothetically you get registrar emails with "no need to login" payment links, they are still possessed by another person...
Yes. This was a thought out of goodwill

•••
Your getting nothing more than an advanced notice of pending cancellation/delete. If there's any you like, keep an eye on them.
There's nothing to be done outside of this. the email address stopped working for the original registrant some time ago

•••
Since you don't have the registrar account accessible you can't renew them. Instead let them expire and hand register them as soon as they expire with discount codes. You got your castle covered.

•••
Back