Dynadot

Expired Domains Reserved By Registry

NameSilo
Watch

If dropping/expired .com domains were RESERVED by the registry, would this be good or bad?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Good

vote
    10.0%
  • Bad

votes
    80.0%
  • Undecided

vote
    10.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
What would happen if the registry for .com decided to reserve dropping/expired domains? How would this impact the domain aftermarket? How would this impact domain investors? What would be the results of these actions?

These are real questions that come after the largest New GTLD registry has decided to RESERVE dropping/expired domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What would happen if the registry for .com decided to reserve dropping/expired domains? How would this impact the domain aftermarket? How would this impact domain investors? What would be the results of these actions?

These are real questions that come after the largest New GTLD registry has decided to RESERVE dropping/expired domains.

We're all screwed.

•••
I think it's the thin edge of the wedge. I liked the old pending expired -> expired -> redemption -> pending deletion -> deletion sequence. Today, everybody seems to want to grab other peoples property and to benefit from their efforts without paying. I've already had names sold by a registrar before they expired, and it's quite a lot of effort to recover them, and not always possible. If the registry is going to get involved as well, then we really will have to find an alternative to the current domain name system.

•••
It is important to note that the 'old' registries are regulated and bound by Icann contracts. That's why Verisign can only raise prices by a few percent every few years. New extensions don't have the same restrictions.
Years ago Verisign wanted to implement WLS but got a slap on the wrist. Plus, the Dept of Commerce approves contracts between Verisign and Icann.

New extensions are the Wild West.

•••
We have been screwed when it comes to the drop

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back