IT.COM

question EXACT System/Method for domain buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Darsh Patel

Impact
I am a newbie and read many articles and beginner section on namepros, its great to see industry expert giving advice and learnings but this is too much to ask.

It's ok to know mistakes/learnings/dos/donts/advice but I am more interested in METHOD/SYSTEM, If Anyone can answer the exact steps they take from

Why they buy the domain,
How they decide the value of a domain,
Exact metrics they use,
How they sell,
How they negotiate,

Exact method a newbie can follow. Every small detail one can follow.
I know its too much to ask, but if any expert can give exact steps for a newbie from what to buy and how to sell,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome @Darsh Patel (y)

Basically, you're asking for a summary of this whole site...

I would suggest that you read a bit, there are lots of useful discussions about all things you mentioned. With different opinions, a lot of them. There's no exact system or method, and you will have to create a feeling for it from experience.

Last edited:
•••
No one here will be able to give you the answers to the questions you ask simply because everyone has their own goals in domaining, their system, strategies, experience, time, budget, interests, do's, don'ts and the list goes on.

And the thing is that you take the system, strategy or pattern of one person (which can change many times during one's career to begin with) and it won't suit you at all, just because all aspects that I mentioned above will be different for you.

It's like in a school, really. You can't get the pattern of what and how exactly you should do during your next 10 years. It's a journey.

But one thing is for sure: read, learn, try.
On a practical side: read all materials in the ''Beginners'' section.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome @Darsh Patel (y)

Basically, you're asking for a summary of this whole site...

I would suggest that you read a bit, there are lots of useful discussions about all things you mentioned. With different opinions, a lot of them. There's no exact system or method, and you will have to create a feeling for it from experience.

Thank you so much

•••
No one here will be able to give you the answers to the questions you ask simply because everyone has their own goals in domaining, their system, strategies, experience, time, budget, interests, do's, don'ts and the list goes on.

And the thing is that you take the system, strategy or pattern of one person (which can change many times during one's career to begin with) and it won't suit you at all, just because all aspects that I mentioned above will be different for you.

It's like in a school, really. You can't get the pattern of what and how exactly you should do during your next 10 years. It's a journey.

But one thing is for sure: read, learn, try.
On a practical side: read all materials in the ''Beginners'' section.

Thanks for the advice.

•••
I’d recommend you take the DNAcademy course if you’re looking for a framework. Within that framework, after you’ve learned the fundamentals, you can add your own approach and preferences. Unlike myself, you can spend your money on learning before you spend it on crappy domains. I did it the other way, and am glad I set a spending limit before I got in trouble. Taking the course was a much better use of the money. You also get access to tools and a community who can help you on your way.

NamePros is good too but you do have to find your way around and sift through the noise. But take the course and then come back and you’ll look at names and advice here in a different light.

•••
I wouldn't share my exact methods and strategies for buying, as that would mean more eyeballs for the exact names I am going for and increased competition for a very limited supply that won't benefit anyone.

Plus it doesn't make sense to spend years and lots of money to figure out what to buy and how to buy and then share it for someone to read in a day and start competing with you.

Now generic advice and DNAcademy-like courses, guides and advice are fine to share as they won't create very narrow competition and you still have to figure out the details.

•••
My advices

1. Don't buy trademark domains.

2. Don't believe in any appraisal. They gives false comfort to investor only.

3. Don't overpay in auctions. If you don't win it's ok, you will get other opportunities.

4. Stick to .com in begining. You can test other extensions later by gaining experience and mistakes.

5. Last one, ask yourself why someone will pay premium price for your domain.

•••
as a beginner

stick to dotcom

max two words

max 11 letters (no numbers or hyphens)

must be a real keyword in the right order

avoid handregs

if its cheap its probably worthless so save up your money and expect to spend 300-500 on good names when they show up and be ready to renew it at least 15 times

do this with 10k and you probably will turn it into 200k in 10 years

if you fine one name that fits the above every 2 weeks consider yourself very lucky

not financial advice, everything I wrote is hypothetical and like with any investment you can lose it all including your health, marriage, home, car, dog etc.

•••
If there was a simple exact way to assure success a robotic system would have totally dominated the business. There would not be a million members of this forum, tens of millions of names for sale, and a myriad of advice.

As others have already responded, start with learning the essentials. Then decide how it is best adapted to your own strengths and expertise. Be disciplined, and don't invest money you can not afford to potentially lose. Don't expect rapid or assured results.

Domain investing can be interesting, challenging and rewarding. But unfortunately there is no simple single exact way.

Best wishes,

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back