IT.COM

showcase Exact Match Domain (EMD) deep dive - Products and Services

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe N

Top Member
Impact
This showcase thread is not for quick and casual posting of domain names.
Read all rules. Anyone breaking them will be reported.
This is the best way to make this thread a useful resource for all.

INTRO

Exact Match Domain (EMD) names have had quite a roller coaster ride in the domain name industry. Once upon a time a company looking for quick and easy traffic could use an EMD to build a simple landing page with relevant content, and be confident that the site would rank high in Google. Those days are long over, and hastily built websites using lazy, long-tail keyword domains could indeed be heavily penalized in their search engine results.

For those interested in reading more about the history, benefits, and pitfalls of EMDs, check out this article. To learn more about how Google treats EMDs, try this one.

EMDs, and their pros and cons, are still discussed on NamePros now and then:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/does-owning-emd-really-helps-in-seo.1225400/#post-8133298

https://www.namepros.com/threads/your-best-category-killer-emd-exact-match-domain.1159875/

Since exact match domains are dear to my domaining heart, I'm starting this thread so we can showcase all the juicy details of our favorite EMD names.

On to the rules!

WHAT TO DO

1. Post only .com names that you own, or that you have sold.

2. Post no more than one domain name per member per day.

3. Post only domain names that are an exact match of an existing product or service.
This means:
  1. No hobbies, sports, past-times, or anything else that is not a product or service.
  2. No unnecessary words (explained under "What not to do")
  3. No speculative or future tech names for products/services that are still being developed.
4. Post the domain's age, along with where and when you acquired it.

5. Use Google's Keyword Planner to search your name in quotes (e.g. "coffee tables").
Do as follows:
  1. Set location to United States (for consistency in everyone's results) when searching.
  2. Record the avg. monthly searches, competition, and top of page bid.
  3. Post the recorded info with your domain
6. Tell us some details about the name:
  • Why did you buy it?
  • Have you marketed it?
  • Had any offers?
  • If it's a name you sold, tell us as many details as you can about the negotiation and transaction.
WHAT NOT TO DO

1. DO NOT post names with adjectives, unless they are a necessary to describe the product or service.
Acceptable examples include: TinyHomes, OrganicMeat, ExpressShipping
Unacceptable examples include: RedCars, PremiumShoes, SpeedyCatering
Adjectives in EMDs will typically only be required to described a sub-class, or niche type, of product or service. You should be able to find existing companies dedicated to offering the exact thing described by your name.

2. DO NOT post names that end with the word Company, Solutions, Agency, Inc, Ventures, etc.

3. DO NOT comment on names (or anything else) in this thread. It is only for posting your own names.
Use the Like, Agree, and Thanks buttons to show your appreciation for posted names. If I get enough responses here, I'd like to do a summary of the most popular names, and also the ones with the best looking metrics on Keyword Planner
4. DO NOT be offended if this stringent set of rules excludes your EMD. I'm sure it's great, just not for this.

Some of these rules are subjective in nature. I will be judge and jury when it comes to reporting violations, but I will be as objective and lenient as possible.

Now, let's see your EMDs, NamePros!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll get things started (and feel free to use this template to submit your own names).

Name: Seismic/Retrofits(com)

Where/When acquired: This was a hand registration that I found on the deleted lists at ExpiredNames.net two years ago.

Avg. Monthly Searches: 1K - 10K

Competition: Medium

Top of page bid (low): $5.37 (converted from CAD)
Top of page bid (high): $23.76 (converted from CAD)

I had never heard of a Seismic Retrofit before seeing this domain. As the name suggests, it's a process by which a building is reinforced to better withstand the effects of an earthquake. These retrofits seem to be most common along the West Coast of the USA and Canada, with some companies specializing in them exclusively.

The Keyword Planner metrics impressed me (especially for a hand regged name). I have done some outbound marketing of it, and did get a $500 offer from one contact. I was looking for about $2K at the time (about a year ago), and declined the offer.

Since that time, searches for the term have begun yielding even more results on Google, and I'm seeing companies listed that I hadn't previously seen. This is an encouraging sign, and I will likely be holding this name long-term, and even raising my expected purchase price.

•••
71BA431A-E3A1-4103-BCB6-5EEDC2133E67.jpeg

Name:
PaymentTokens (com)

Where/When acquired: Huge Domains, $1895.00, 2021/02/02

Avg. Monthly Searches: 10-100

Competition: Low

Top of page bid (low): $3.99
Top of page bid (high): $19.04

Why did you buy it? Tokenisation is blowing up.

Have you marketed it? Microsite built: https://www.paymenttokens.com

Had any offers? No

‘Payment Tokens’ (Bitcoin, Monero, Ethereum) are the most significant type of digital token as they represent the purest form of Cryptoasset (cryptoasset means a digital representation of value or rights, which may be transferred and stored electronically, using Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) or similar Blockchain technology).

Payment Tokens - are used as an alternative means of payment and exchange. Their main objective is to be a decentralised tool for buying and selling goods and services without traditional intermediaries and have no other function (or only limited functions). These cryptoassets are purchased through online exchanges and we’ve seen an increasing number of businesses begin to adopt Bitcoin as a means of paying for their goods and services.

Electric automaker Tesla revealed a $1.5bn (£1.09bn) investment and said it would soon begin accepting the Payment Token ‘Bitcoin’ as payment for its cars and other products.

Last edited:
•••
Previously sold name

Name:
Parking/Lot/Design(com)

Where/When acquired: This was a hand registration in December 2016.

When sold: August 2017 for $1,100

Avg. Monthly Searches: 1K - 10K

Competition: Low

Top of page bid (low): $1.28 (converted from CAD)
Top of page bid (high): $6.74 (converted from CAD)

The name was sold via outbound email to a company that develops software solutions for transportation and infrastructure professionals. Until recently, it was used as a promotional page for software they had built specifically for the design of parking lots. They had a little teaser video and everything. Pretty cool!

This was also my first ever four-figure domain name sale. It's no wonder I have such a soft spot for EMDs!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back