IT.COM

discuss Ever bought a domain name back, which you sold earlier?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Have you ever re-bought a domain name back from the buyer who purchased it from you?

I once sold a name on Afternic for $799 BIN and in the 30 odd days, I received an offer on Sedo for $2000 for the same name. Remember this was the starting offer so I was assuming that I could negotiate to $3000.
I went back to the buyer to see if they would be interested in selling the name for $1000. They said no! After trying to convince a couple of times, and them saying no straight away, I told them that I have received an offer for the name and would be willing to pass on the lead. And should the sale happen, would they be willing to share 20% of the profits?
They didn't want to sell at all because they were planning to build something on the name! That's how it ended!

2 years later and there is still no website on the domain name.

Any story that you have, trying to re-purchase a domain name? And how was the experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The buyer bought that domain with the intent of building a business / other reason, and doesn't give a damn about you flipping it again and taking 20% of the juice. From his point of view: F*** that

One of very few scenarios I see is if the buyer "did" build a business, and then it flopped...offering it back at an appealing price to claw back some cash. Maybe, but I haven't had that situation

Last edited:
•••
One of old scams: 1) Purchase a domain from somebody. 2) Send a higher offer to the seller using an alter ego, as if he still owns it 3) Wait for the seller asking to buy the domain back [ @ *higher price*]. 4) Accept sellers offer to buy back. 5) Profit.

As a side note, yeah it may be possible to sell the same domain a few times: Sold something --> it dropped later --> won it on expired auction --> sold again. I have one such a "favorite" domain, sold it 4 times already with this scheme. The last buyer did not yet drop it though...

Last edited:
•••
One of old scams: 1) Purchase a domain from somebody. 2) Send a higher offer to the seller using an alter ego, as if he still owns it 3) Wait for the seller asking to buy the domain back [ @ *higher price*]. 4) Accept sellers offer to buy back. 5) Profit.

As a side note, yeah it may be possible to sell the same domain a few times: Sold something --> it dropped later --> won it on expired auction --> sold again. I have one such a "favorite" domain, sold it 4 times already with this scheme. The last buyer did not yet drop it though...
Yeah, there is that angle too

•••
Thanks for the thread

Last edited:
•••
I sold two names that buyers let drop and I re-purchased after selling them to the buyers. Neither were for BIG money but just a grand or two. JHM I've seen the scam you mentioned so many times I can't count how many! Enjoy your day!

•••
Have you ever re-bought a domain name back from the buyer who purchased it from you?

I once sold a name on Afternic for $799 BIN and in the 30 odd days, I received an offer on Sedo for $2000 for the same name. Remember this was the starting offer so I was assuming that I could negotiate to $3000.
I went back to the buyer to see if they would be interested in selling the name for $1000. They said no! After trying to convince a couple of times, and them saying no straight away, I told them that I have received an offer for the name and would be willing to pass on the lead. And should the sale happen, would they be willing to share 20% of the profits?
They didn't want to sell at all because they were planning to build something on the name! That's how it ended!

2 years later and there is still no website on the domain name.

Any story that you have, trying to re-purchase a domain name? And how was the experience?
I'm still waiting for a name to drop that I sold for 5 figs
it's not resolving for a few years

•••
It could be a scam. But some people truly dont care about the money. Also in some industries launching a business could take years. Maybr someone is plotting an escape from coporate and planning to use the name when they eventually set up their business and so it lies dormant for a few year untill they saved up enough to start. Its totally plausible.

•••
I have sold a few domains over the years that expired. One of them I hand regged again. I figure if it sold once, maybe it'll sell again. First time I think I only sold it for $100 at most.

•••
I am considering one presently as have script and site from past however want to be a domainer over webmaster.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back