Domain Empire

Epik offering cost-plus price: just $0.50 over their cost. Can they be trusted?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I got the following Email from Epik yesterday. It all sounds great but can they be trusted? I know they were doing a lot of unethical things recently but now they claim to be under new ownership?

Hello,

As you may have heard, Epik has been acquired and is under new ownership. We’re excited to share the first of many positive changes—we’ve lowered our prices to better serve you.

As someone with a substantial domain portfolio, you can now take advantage of a great cost-plus price: just $0.50 over our cost (which includes the registry price and the $0.18 ICANN fee).

Why the price drop?

Your partnership means everything to us, and we want to show our appreciation. That's why we've not only lowered our prices, but also streamlined our pricing structure. For most domains, registrations, renewals, and transfers will now share the same pricing, providing a seamless experience and added savings.

On September 1, Verisign plans to increase the cost of a .com domain by 72 cents. Register or renew your .com domains now (for one or multiple years) to avoid the upcoming registry price increase. Log into your account today to see your new pricing and renew to safeguard those savings.

Thank you for choosing Epik as your domain partner. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Epik
The Independent Registrar

30 N. Gould St., Ste. E
Sheridan, WY 82801
(737) 301-5923

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi - Thank you for your reply. Most of the posts I've read had to do with their Marketplace and them not paying out the money after someone sold a domain through Epik. Now, are we saying there were also problems with people just parking their domain portfolio with Epik and renewing their domains? Also, if they are under new ownership - is it possible things have improved? I mean, if I would buy Epik, it would be under new ownership and I would do things honestly. So - is there anyone out there who knows more?
Nobody bought anything.

That is what they want you to believe.

They just opened a new company, transferred assets to it and let the old company go bankrupt with debits and scammed users.

They were awful as a registrar as well since you ask.

•••
I removed all my Epik names from their for sale landing pages. I don't want to have any more sale funds going into the Masterbucks hole. I'll pay more commission but feel safer. I have names remaining but will move them as they come up for renewal. I don't have the cash flow to move all of them now. I will need to take the risk, unfortunately. Epik offered me free renewal on a couple of names and I passed on that offer.

•••
I would not take it even if it's free

•••
•••
Also, if they are under new ownership - is it possible things have improved? I mean, if I would buy Epik, it would be under new ownership and I would do things honestly. So - is there anyone out there who knows more?
They are not under new ownership. All the same bad people are involved. They didnt even have enough money (or decency) to change the name.

Many people here are screwed out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That company should remain blacklisted forever.

•••
•••
Thank you - I've decided against moving my domains to Epik already. I think the fact that I couldn't even log in (and still can't) should have been the hint all along...
I would certainly not trust a brand that has screwed over so many customers and has its "new" ownership and management shrouded behind a veil of secrecy.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
Com'on people - domain renewals have gone up a lot since like 10 years ago! I can't afford to renew all of my domains so I AM looking for an affordable solution!

I am not sure what the best promo is at the moment, but I know Dynadot has a $8.95 .COM transfer deal.

They are extremely well regarded, especially among domain investors.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Dont forget about the hack.
https://archive.md/traih
Very insecure registrar than may be closed down by icann, just what I have read.

•••
I removed all my Epik names from their for sale landing pages. I don't want to have any more sale funds going into the Masterbucks hole. I'll pay more commission but feel safer. I have names remaining but will move them as they come up for renewal. I don't have the cash flow to move all of them now. I will need to take the risk, unfortunately. Epik offered me free renewal on a couple of names and I passed on that offer.
I have 12 domains left [from 900] and they will be deleted in the bext couple of days ,NEVER again is epik to be trusted .TRUST me !!!

•••
Why would you risk it? The potential downsides far outweigh the potential upsides (can't think of a single one).

•••
•••
They wrote a letter to you and did not even introduce themselves. So, nothing has changed in this company. If people hide their names, this is an occasion to think about whether it is worth dealing with them. And if you continue to persuade that the Epic became good, then you are good friend of Rob Monster

•••
Mind if I ask @NamesMax since you said you can't afford to move them all do you like own hundreds of domains? Or is it like over 1,000 domains?
I have about 300 of them at Epik. 1 decent sale and I can move those I am going to keep.

•••
I have 12 domains left [from 900] and they will be deleted in the bext couple of days ,NEVER again is epik to be trusted .TRUST me !!!
as the saying goes...a skunk does not change its smell!!
once a skunk always a skunk

•••
Thank you Brad. The problem with me is I have a bunch of different extensions. I do try to transfer them at times where there is a good offer but often the renewal price then is way out of line in those places... I think I need to take a hard look at my domains and just cancel some which may be of little value and only keep those that have a genuine value but that's hard for me to do as I've been renewing these for over 20 years now and I don't have the ability to objectively distinguish between keepers and loosers...
As most of you know ,I was a Super Affiliate and member of Epik. ,for many years.I was an "insider" and was witness what was going on .
After this latest debacle I deleted ALL my Domains from them in one swoop ,even ones that had still meat on it [reg'd]
NEVER again I would rejoin Epik ,esp that WE still dont know WHO actually is the REAL owner of epikLLC ,whatever.
Move the domains you want to keep OUT to any other reputable Registrar and delete the rest .I guarantee you feel much better soon. @Dynadot takes 7 days before YOU can delete YOUR own domains [which i think is crazy ]
With Epik you just transfer the domain to another epik account ,[email protected]/

•••
Hi - Thank you for your reply. Most of the posts I've read had to do with their Marketplace and them not paying out the money after someone sold a domain through Epik. Now, are we saying there were also problems with people just parking their domain portfolio with Epik and renewing their domains? Also, if they are under new ownership - is it possible things have improved? I mean, if I would buy Epik, it would be under new ownership and I would do things honestly. So - is there anyone out there who knows more?
Is epik paying you to write this to test the water? Are you a traitor?
You work for epik?

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, that might be the sunk cost fallacy.

Sometimes it is better to just drop domains.

If you want a second opinion, feel free to send me a DM and I will let you know my thoughts.

Brad
Oh wow! Thank you so much! I'll do that tomorrow (I gotta make a list)... Thank you - much appreciated!

•••
I live in Russia. The whole world is now against my country. And I also own 400+ domains. But I do not have the opportunity to choose a registrar, since the Visa, Mastecard, Paypal and other known payment methods else left our country. But I do not worry and do not throw my domains in the trash. Now a difficult economic situation around the world. Now much less domains are sold than a year or two ago. 400 domains are very few to receive a good profit. According to my calculations, you need to have a 1000-1500 high-quality domains so that they make profit. You need to learn how to wait. Find another job and spend part of the salary to increase your domain portfolio. In no case should you take part in adventures and place your domains where no one advises. It's my personal opinion.

•••
I live in Russia. The whole world is now against my country. And I also own 400+ domains. But I do not have the opportunity to choose a registrar, since the Visa, Mastecard, Paypal and other known payment methods else left our country. But I do not worry and do not throw my domains in the trash. Now a difficult economic situation around the world. Now much less domains are sold than a year or two ago. 400 domains are very few to receive a good profit. According to my calculations, you need to have a 1000-1500 high-quality domains so that they make profit. You need to learn how to wait. Find another job and spend part of the salary to increase your domain portfolio. In no case should you take part in adventures and place your domains where no one advises. It's my personal opinion.
Thank you - I've decided against moving my domains to Epik already. I think the fact that I couldn't even log in (and still can't) should have been the hint all along...

•••
-
It was Rob Monster
Did they put him back or something I thought it is Bryan Royce? Also, a lot of people have lost a lot of money so be careful before suggesting epik.

•••
All Epik.com did is shift some assets around on paper to "new" ownership in an effort to leave customers holding the bag for their own mismanagement.

Who actually owns and operates "new" Epik?

If you want to do business with a registrar that has a history of scamming customers and has secretive "new" ownership that's your decision.

There are many other registrars that offer similar or better prices, service, support and don't have a history of scamming customers.

I can't see a single compelling reason to use them, and can see many reasons not to.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure what the best promo is at the moment, but I know Dynadot has a $8.95 .COM transfer deal.

Brad
Thank you Brad. The problem with me is I have a bunch of different extensions. I do try to transfer them at times where there is a good offer but often the renewal price then is way out of line in those places... I think I need to take a hard look at my domains and just cancel some which may be of little value and only keep those that have a genuine value but that's hard for me to do as I've been renewing these for over 20 years now and I don't have the ability to objectively distinguish between keepers and loosers...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back