alert Epik Had A Major Breach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have not said or written one untruthful statement.
Yes, you most certainly have actually. You defamed me by saying I was a shill of Rob's, and in at least one post I think you actually said I was Rob. You said this solely because it fit your narrative, not because you had any evidence to do so. I have never met Rob, I live on a different continent and I have never so much as spoken to him on the phone. Maybe everything else you have written is true, but it's certainly hard for me to believe when I know that what you wrote about me couldn't be further from the truth.

•••
These drive-by posting stunts by Monster are very odd. What does he hope to accomplish by making Epik promo announcements in a thread dedicated to discussing the hack without answering any of the many lies he has been caught in or the customers he has hurt? It feels more like a criminal taunting their victim or their victim's parents. Very odd indeed.

•••
These drive-by posting stunts by Monster are very odd. What does he hope to accomplish by making Epik promo announcements in a thread dedicated to discussing the hack without answering any of the many [.......]

The intended audience may not just be the members of this forum.

•••
•••
Who is the intended audience then? This is the only place he's posting.

Let me give you the story.
Let me tell you how it went down.
Let me tell you that.

All right, but I just want to clarify, I just want to clarify. Let me finish, I will listen to you. I promise. I will listen to you. I will. Just take turns.

Here's a start on how this thread may be used both as a ledger and a proxy. There are a lot of possible audiences.
  • Press / media
  • Future clients
  • People searching for "Epik Holdings, Inc." because they've received a notification from Have I been Pwned
  • Public prosecutors, LEA, probably more
  • The law firm that is considering a class action
  • The Republican Party of Texas, Austin (RPT)
  • Current and future investors in the company
  • Researchers
  • The hackers
  • ICANN

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster That has not been my experience. Regardless, shall I take this to mean that Epik will end all its various services to Joey Camp, who is continuing to use your services to harass, dox, and defame individuals including myself? There are many reports in the abuse@epik inbox you can avail yourself of to determine which sites I am referring to, though I'll admit it is odd that you have requested outside parties to provide information on the services you are providing to Mr. Camp, something I would think you should be able to look up rather easily. It is also odd that your "capable abuse team that reviews abuse cases 7 days a week" has not managed to get to any of the reports about Mr. Camp submitted over the past month yet—or have they, and this should be taken to mean you have reversed your previous statement that Mr. Camp's sites (which have not substantially changed, other than to include more doxing, harassing, and defamatory material) should not be supported by Epik?

During the impromptu video town hall, I temporarily disabled the site YourDaddyJoey.com due to allegations of content that violates our ToS. The takedown was for a single site. It was done as a good faith gesture pending confirmatory investigation of the alleged ToS violation.

On the next morning, I did have a call with Joey where I voiced my concerns and also sought to gauge his willingness to adapt his content if and when he is called upon to do so. He was adamant that his content was lawful. At the time, he said he was unwilling to commit to process takedown requests.

As a result of that impasse, a decision was taken to part ways with Joey. YourDaddyJoey.com left Epik and as far as I know that site did not come back online. His other domains are either being dropped by his request, or transferring elsewhere. I understand he is in depositions, but it is happening.

At the end of the day, Epik has a reasonable standard for acceptable use and we work with reasonable people. We are not free speech absolutists and have never been. Those who think we are free speech absolutists are sometimes disappointed. After all, the media, including Wikipedia, told them otherwise!

As for abuse ticket resolution, had there been a court order, a full takedown would likely have been swifter. In case where there is debate about what content is actually lawful, we seek to apply a reasonable duty of care for orderly transfer of business.

And as for harassment of defamation, I would say that by any objective standard, your Wikipedia article, and related prominence on search engines as the Ministry of Truth on Epik and Rob Monster are the most blatant acts of defamation of which I am personally aware from any time in my entire career.

Your editorial bias on Wikipedia is far from neutral. The articles are effectively locked down to prevent reasonable edits. Your near-exclusive editing of a very slanted narrative is not copacetic with Wikipedia's published code of conduct for article writers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
upload_2021-10-14_21-43-4.png

•••
Your editorial bias on Wikipedia is far from neutral.

Bias is far from neutral by definition. What I am finding hard to understand is why don't you refute each argument you find incorrect point by point if the truth is on your side. Don't attack the person. If their argument is weak then just destroy it with facts.

•••
Your editorial bias on Wikipedia is far from neutral. The articles are effectively locked down to prevent reasonable edits. Your near-exclusive editing of a very slanted narrative is not copacetic with Wikipedia's published code of conduct for article writers.

Show attachment 201939

The Wikipedia article is an accurate representation.

You attempted to target Wikipedia and specifically @Molly White in the past and got clowned.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-wikipedia-battle-is-full-on-right-now.1186029/

You remember when Epik supporters threatened Molly, then created a Change.org petition to attempt to intimidate and harass her? It was later removed as a violation of their community guidelines.

Her response to that -

https://blog.mollywhite.net/response-to-the-changeorg-petition-about-me/

You certainly are taking no responsibility for Epik's security protocols based on "shitty code", nor providing any updates.

You can see from the last few pages Epik customers are starting to see collateral damage from the hack.

All you can seem to do is deflect and blame.

Look in the mirror. That is where many of your problems are.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Don't attack the person. If their argument is weak then just destroy it with facts.

That is all someone in a weak position can do. It is the go to playbook.

Rob tried that in the thread I posted above and it turned into an embarrassing shitshow.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
During the impromptu video town hall, I temporarily disabled the site YourDaddyJoey.com due to allegations of content that violates our ToS. The takedown was for a single site. It was done as a good faith gesture pending confirmatory investigation of the alleged ToS violation.

On the next morning, I did have a call with Joey where I voiced my concerns and also sought to gauge his willingness to adapt his content if and when he is called upon to do so. He was adamant that his content was lawful. At the time, he said he was unwilling to commit to process takedown requests.

As a result of that impasse, a decision was taken to part ways with Joey. YourDaddyJoey.com left Epik and as far as I know that site did not come back online. His other domains are either being dropped by his request, or transferring elsewhere. I understand he is in depositions, but it is happening.

At the end of the day, Epik has a reasonable standard for acceptable use and we work with reasonable people. We are not free speech absolutists and have never been. Those who think we are free speech absolutists are sometimes disappointed. After all, the media, including Wikipedia, told them otherwise!

As for abuse ticket resolution, had there been a court order, a full takedown would likely have been swifter. In case where there is debate about what content is actually lawful, we seek to apply a reasonable duty of care for orderly transfer of business.

And as for harassment of defamation, I would say that by any objective standard, your Wikipedia article, and related prominence on search engines as the Ministry of Truth on Epik and Rob Monster are the most blatant acts of defamation of which I am personally aware from any time in my entire career.

Show attachment 201939

Translation: I cancelled Joey. Now will you write a nice wiki article about Epik? Please?

I already know the answer, Rob, it is NO.

Pitiful.

Last edited:
•••
And another gem from the incomparable @GeorgeK:

https://freespeech.com/2021/10/14/an-open-letter-to-the-icann-board-regarding-igo-protections/

The people who want to undermine civil liberty and due process are not the Domainer's friend.

Private ownership of domains with responsible use is what makes for a viable domain economy. When all economic power and narrative control is consolidated into a few closely held outlets, you get tyranny.

And no, this is not deflection. It is the root issue. Simply stated, domainers who undermine reasonable compromise on civil liberty are sowing the seeds of destruction of the entire industry.

Wake up and ignore the sell-out trolls.

•••
And no, this is not deflection. It is the root issue. Simply stated, domainers who undermine reasonable compromise on civil liberty are sowing the seeds of destruction of the entire industry.

Cool, post it in a relevant thread.

HowtoDefineMeasureDeflection2.jpg

•••
Meanwhile, I'm trying to imagine what the Wikipedia page about Epik would have looked like if it had been written by the company itself. I suspect something with a lot of neutral bitchute sources and a long long rant about GoDaddy, PayPal, and a lot of others.

•••
Meanwhile, I'm trying to imagine what the Wikipedia page about Epik would have looked like if it had been written by the company itself. I suspect something with a lot of neutral bitchute sources and a long long rant about GoDaddy, PayPal, and a lot of others.

Well, they surely would have featured their totally legitimate NamePros 2020 mid-year Registrar of the Year award. I think that goes without saying.

Maybe talk about their statement on race and George Floyd that somehow turned into a rant about Hunter Biden.

Surely though they would have discussed the New Zealand false flag shooting featuring crisis actors...

Maybe talk about the fake moon landing? Flat Earth?

Who knows what else.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
And another gem from the incomparable @GeorgeK:

https://freespeech.com/2021/10/14/an-open-letter-to-the-icann-board-regarding-igo-protections/

The people who want to undermine civil liberty and due process are not the Domainer's friend.

Private ownership of domains with responsible use is what makes for a viable domain economy. When all economic power and narrative control is consolidated into a few closely held outlets, you get tyranny.

The very first call we did in 2018 I said we need to decentralize DNS and you acted like I kicked your dog. I knew at that moment exactly what you were and starting documenting, everything. Also, you've been calling for centralized court to judge who should get or keep a domain, as long as there is "due process" :sick: (see attachment). Please stop talking about Christianity and US version of free speech. You have no idea what you are talking about and don't have the character to be consistent even if you did. Go play with your blueberries or whatever. Just go away.

Attachments

• epik - calling for supreme court for domains.png
    epik - calling for supreme court for domains.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 138
•••

When do you expect this to be complete? It has been a month and he has multiple domains with Epik, where he continues to host the exact same site you removed. Again, multiple reports have been made with these domains.

The only mention of free speech absolutism in either article is in the Rob Monster article, which explicitly states that you have said you are not a free speech absolutist. I added this in February of this year, one day after the publication of the NPR piece where you said as much.

I have repeatedly invited you to point to any portion of either article that is not reflective of the sourcing. You have never done so. The offer remains open should you change your mind.

I'm sure you know that defamation is "the oral or written communication of a false statement about another that unjustly harms their reputation.. etc. etc." A good example might be if someone repeatedly suggested that I am "addicted to MDMA". I am still waiting to hear which statement in either article is false; I work very hard to ensure that the articles I work on are well-sourced and accurate, and while I am not immune to making errors, I have checked both articles quite closely. It is of course possible that one of the sources has made an error, but one of the things we look for in determining whether a source is reliable or not is their history of publishing retractions where appropriate. If they have erred, I would urge you to contact them—if any source used in a Wikipedia article has retracted a statement, we will always update articles accordingly when we see it.

Your editorial bias on Wikipedia is far from neutral. The articles are effectively locked down to prevent reasonable edits.

The Wikipedia biography about you is not locked from editing. The Epik article is semiprotected (a very low bar to surpass). We discourage people from directly editing articles about themselves or their businesses, but you are more than welcome to create an edit request to either. I will happily enough stay out of any edit requests you make, if you like; they go into a queue where they are reviewed by uninvolved editors fairly quickly.

Your near-exclusive editing of a very slanted narrative is not copacetic with Wikipedia's published code of conduct for article writers.

Show attachment 201939

I have also repeatedly invited you to explain how the article is not "representing fairly, proportionately, and, as far as possible, without editorial bias, all the significant views that have been published by reliable sources on a topic." This mostly turned into railing against the media and the suggestion that various domaining blogs ought to be usable as sources, though even if they were usable, they seemed to primarily just go into additional detail on various Epik endeavors rather than presenting any contradictory points of view.

I think I have been quite reasonable in my interactions with you over the past years, although my patience has admittedly been wearing thin over the past week or two with the escalation by Joey Camp, enabled by you. And I will note, by the way, that I have not edited either article in that time. But I cannot say the same about your treatment of me. I'm not sure where in a "good faith dialog" (as you mentioned earlier) you fit in signing and re-sharing an absolutely unhinged Change.org petition about me (later removed as an abuse of their service) by a person who suggested people ought to show up my house. If you've forgotten, it was the one about how I apparently use Wikipedia to "try to extort money from global organizations by intentionally creating a false narrative" and likens me to a "dirty fish". Or publishing on your Epik.com blog an open letter to Bloomberg News, apparently about some issue you had with them in which I had no part, where your spokesperson made a number of disingenuous statements, including that I had "literally posted Swastikas on [Epik's] own social media feeds and statements against racism"—an apparent reference to this reply to your now-deleted statement about racism, where I included a screenshot of a news article, which in turn had a screenshot of a website you had provided services to. Why did you delete that antiracism tweet, by the way? And what about this? Why were you messaging with Joey about doxing me, shortly before I received the emails from him about sending people to enter my home?

Last edited:
•••
You can see from the last few pages Epik customers are starting to see collateral damage from the hack.

Nonsense.

The diligent Epik team, working with outside advisors, have done as close to a textbook job as one can expect, doing arguably more than the much larger Facebook, Twitch and Neiman Marcus incidents, etc.

The facts are:

- Impacted customers were notified promptly once the incident was confirmed. Email updates have since continued.

- To date, we are aware of just a few unauthorized credit card charges, which of course will be reversed. Epik has fully sponsored 2 years of Experian credit monitoring for all customers.

- No domains have gone missing. None. Zero. Nada. To date, we have not had to file a single TURF request. Praise God.

- More domain transfers have come into Epik than have left. Today again more than 1000 new incoming transfers into Epik.

The only enduring collateral damage might be the result of Epik living rent-free in the minds of a bunch of obsessed trolls who might need cognitive therapy and likely have tiny ... domain portfolios.

On to more productive endeavors.

•••
Nonsense.

If that is the case then address their posts directly.

You are the one who has been posting nonsense - pictures of lemonade, popcorn, and just endless irrelevant BS over the last couple days.

I am sorry but this is not the other domain forum, the one you bought where you can control the content and narrative.

Brad

•••
- Impacted customers were notified promptly once the incident was confirmed. Email updates have since continued.

The tweet about the data breach was removed almost as promptly. Why?

Brad

•••
We are not free speech absolutists and have never been. Those who think we are free speech absolutists are sometimes disappointed. After all, the media, including Wikipedia, told them otherwise!

I've been involved in dialogue with you and following your threads for a long time. I have to make this point. That you have changed your views on "free speech" only in recent months. Initially you gave the impression that anything goes. Even as far as posting a horrific video on your YouTube clone website. Only recently you changed the rhetoric to include that free speech is not absolute.

•••
Even as far as posting a horrific video on your YouTube clone website. Only recently you changed the rhetoric to include that free speech is not absolute.

Yes, what a service Rob did for all of us (sarcasm).

http://domainincite.com/24077-after-nz-shooting-epik-has-a-monster-pr-problem

The copy of the video linked to by Monster was hosted by Epik-owned privacy services provider Anonymize.com, on an “effectively uncensorable” file-sharing service the company is currently developing.

In a subsequent tweet, Monster threw doubt upon whether the footage was real, writing: “Shell casings simply vanish into thin air. Etc. It looks like low budget CGI”.

rob-monster.png

There have been reports that Rob forced employees to watch that video as well. Rob, did you want to clarify if that is true or not?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Nonsense.

The diligent Epik team, working with outside advisors, have done as close to a textbook job as one can expect, doing arguably more than the much larger Facebook, Twitch and Neiman Marcus incidents, etc.

The facts are:

- To date, we are aware of just a few unauthorized credit card charges, which of course will be reversed. Epik has fully sponsored 2 years of Experian credit monitoring for all customers.

- No domains have gone missing. None. Zero. Nada. To date, we have not had to file a single TURF request. Praise God.

- More domain transfers have come into Epik than have left. Today again more than 1000 new incoming transfers into Epik.

The only enduring collateral damage might be the result of Epik living rent-free in the minds of a bunch of obsessed trolls who might need cognitive therapy and likely have tiny ... domain portfolios.

On to more productive endeavors.

Sounds great for you. How about all those people who are losing their jobs, being exposed and harassed on the internet and some, living in countries with "hate speech" laws will almost certainly go to jail BEACUSE OF YOUR LIES? Proud of your lies, counting your money. Congrats. Enjoy.

•••
I've been involved in dialogue with you and following your threads for a long time. I have to make this point. That you have changed your views on "free speech" only in recent months. Initially you gave the impression that anything goes. Even as far as posting a horrific video on your YouTube clone website. Only recently you changed the rhetoric to include that free speech is not absolute.

It is an interesting shift BUT without the free speech schtick what is Epik? Just a tiny registrar with the crappiest code in the history registrars and a CEO that no one trusts.

•••
It is an interesting shift BUT without the free speech schtick what is Epik? Just a tiny registrar with the crappiest code in the history registrars and a CEO that no one trusts.

Well, sure you can't list domains on Afternic or use Payapl, as they both gave Epik the boot before this, but you still have Masterbucks, not to be confused with Epik bucks. That is a different defunct currency they had years ago.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back