IT.COM

Epik.com Seizes Domain, Threatens to Transfer

NameSilo
Watch

Boutique Ink

Established Member
Impact
I previously transferred all of my domains to Epik.com because of @Rob Monster’s principled defense of free speech. But now, I’m questioning the wisdom of that decision.

An unnamed “complainant” claims to own one of my domains, and Epik.com is implicitly threatening to transfer the domain to them. (The complainant doesn’t own the domain; I do.)

Isn’t this a dispute for ICANN or the courts to resolve but not Epik.com?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He is a member here, maybe you can contact him.

Yes, this is not up to Epik to take matters into their own hands.

•••
Is the domain name in question a blatant trademark infringement? Registrars have some duty when it comes to that issue.

Otherwise, you'd be correct that it isn't a normal behavior for a registrar to get involved.

Best advice is to contact an IP lawyer immediately.

Last edited:
•••
Is the domain name in question a blatant trademark infringement? Registrars have some duty when it comes to that issue.

Otherwise, you'd be correct that it isn't a normal behavior for a registrar to get involved.

Best advice is to contact an IP lawyer immediately.

The domain doesn’t contain any trademarks, nor has Epik.com indicated there’s a trademark violation.

Nevertheless, the domain is frozen, and I can’t transfer it or even change the nameservers.

Last edited:
•••
There has to be some info besides “some guy says it is his”. Unlikely a registrar is going to freeze a name just from somebody emailing them and saying “hey, that's my domain”

I feel like you are leaving something out. Is it reportedly stolen? Do you have the proof of how you acquired it? Did you perhaps unknowingly buy a stolen domain?

•••
I feel like you are leaving something out. Is it reportedly stolen? Do you have the proof of how you acquired it? Did you perhaps unknowingly buy a stolen domain?

I was the first person to register the domain. I came up with the name; it had never been registered before.

Even if the “complainant” were right and I’m wrong — that’s not the case here — it seems strange a registrar would intervene. That’s why I’m posting.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, this is not up to Epik to take matters into their own hands.

Thank you, @Clover, for confirming my hunch. I’ve never had an experience like this with any other registrar.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Epik.com still refuses to unlock the domain. Here’s what they said:

“When we review a complaint of this nature, the domain in question is locked to prevent an outbound transfer until the situation is resolved.”

Last edited:
•••
So all your nameservers are still set and you can do everything but transfer the name out?

That doesn't seem entirely unreasonable as a general rule. I know if I had a domain stolen I would want them to do at least that while the issue was resolved. Give the complainant some time to either prove ownership or reveal themselves as a scammer/nut.

Maybe you read into that "implicit threat to transfer the name" a bit?

I'm not an Epic fanboy (I have zero domains there currently), but they seem like pretty straight shooters and one of the more domainer friendly registrars to me.

I think this will wrap up quickly to your satisfaction.

•••
“We are still reviewing as new information is being sent to us and have yet to make a final decision.”

Because of these remarks from Epik.com’s representative, I assume they’re considering transferring my domain to the “complainant.” Please let me know if you think it means something else.

Last edited:
•••
They have to be vague and leave all options open until they see what proof is submitted. If it is as you say, they are probably still waiting for them to actually submit anything at all.

You say you think you know who it is. There has to be more to the story? They are making some prima facie case that has Epic at least investigating. Was there a deal gone bad with this person?

I don't think Epic would just give away a domain because somebody makes a claim. They have some sharp folks over there and access to all the data to see the history of the domain.

Epic doesn't really have a stake in something like this other than their reputation. To think they would waste resources to arbitrarily move domains to other people seems odd.

•••
Could be someone trying to steal your domain claiming that it was stolen. If that is the case, it sounds like Epik is trying to do due diligence.

•••
Epic doesn't really have a stake in something like this other than their reputation. To think they would waste resources to arbitrarily move domains to other people seems odd.

After Epik.com locked my domain, they tried to negotiate a domain sale between the unidentified “complainant” and me. (I didn’t ask them to do that.) I assume Epik.com would receive a commission for the transaction; that would be their financial incentive to get involved.

Last edited:
•••
Nothing you are saying makes any sense at all. Epik tried to sell your domain for you? Why? Did you ask them to? And what came of it? There are missing details here bigtime.

Epik has its flaws like all registrars but I have never heard anything like this. What facts are you leaving out and why post here and not get on the phone with @Rob Monster?

•••
I need a premium registrar for my best domains. (Cost isn’t the primary concern.) I’m looking for a company with a strong respect for due process and personal property rights.

Could someone suggest an appropriate service provider? It’s not Epik.

Last edited:
•••
you are all over the place broski take a chill pill ^^

•••
fortunately i move out all of my domain portfolio from EPIK when they start getting problem with paypal LOL

•••
Today Epik confirmed the domain is still frozen. I’ve asked them what information I could provide to establish I’m the rightful owner, but they don’t want any:

“We do not need any information from you at this moment. If we do, I will let you know.

At this time, the domain will remain locked until our review is over. Our CEO and VP of Operations have been in the loop and are reviewing this…”

Last edited:
•••
I think what is being left out are the details to the "review" that is described in the email Epik sent him. We need the full story surrounding facts of this "Incident" that keeps getting evaded and not being mentioned, addressed or discussed in this conversation. Little details like that can shed light on the bigger picture to what actually occurred and also possibly validate one party or expose the other party who could be at fault.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone see in the registration agreement where Epik explains how they resolve these complaints? Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone see in the registration agreement where Epik.com explains how they resolve these complaints? Thank you.

20220505_191823.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately, @Rob Monster’s response mistook me for the “complainant” instead of the registrant. Oh, well:

What exactly did you hope to accomplish with this citation?

Do you think we enjoy settling disputes when parties are too broke, too lazy or too presumptuous to settle it amongst themselves or through a competent court?

If you did your homework, one thing you should understand by now is that my tolerance for bullies and thugs is very low. From what little I have observed, I can imagine that you were not fair or kind to your developer.

Prior to this note, I have stayed out of the fray, and I have taken a neutral position on that topic. As such, I would say that your tactic was a misstep.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
•••
@inforg, after Epik.com locked my domain, they tried to negotiate a domain sale between the unidentified “complainant” and me. (I didn’t ask them to do that.) I assume Epik.com would receive a commission for the transaction; that would be their financial incentive to get involved.

I doubt Epik would go through the trouble to broker a hand registered domain name against the owner's wishes. Either something is being misunderstood or they just want to do due diligence against whatever complaint is being made which shouldn't work out for the complainant.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you, @Tia Wood. I was alarmed when Epik threatened to transfer the domain. I still hope they won’t do that.

Last edited:
•••
Back