Dynadot

question "End User" Perceptions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
BrandPro - invalid - NamePro??? What name resonates most with end users? "Brand", "Domain" or "Name"? I know from my experience many business people don't really know what a domain is, however they know what a brand, and a name are.

I believe this is why most domains, 98 of 100 are hoarded and stay on the shelf. Any way you cut it, that's deplorable:xf.frown:

Regardless of the definition of "Brand", and the belief an "end user" relates to it more than "Domain", don't you think a marketplace for domain names would best be identified using the term "Brand" like; BrandableBrands.com

Any other thoughts, views or opinions? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Surely (that general public angle) that's like trying to sell a $5,000 restaurant coffee machine to a home user. because he loves coffee
I have no clue what this comment has to do with the post it was linked to. That post was a poll about whether outreach unrelated to sales was something our community should do. Whether as a public service we should offer to speak to youth groups, a university class, volunteer organizations, etc. about domain names and related topics. I am encouraged that most who responded said we should. Twitter does not allow you to vote in your own polls, but that is how I would have voted. I know from the prior discussion you do not feel that way, and that is fine.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I have no clue what this comment has to do with the post it was linked to. That post was a poll about whether outreach unrelated to sales was something our community should do. Whether as a public service we should offer to speak to youth groups, a university class, volunteer organizations, etc. about domain names and related topics. I am encouraged that most who responded said we should. Twitter does not allow you to vote in your own polls, but that is how I would have voted. I know from the prior discussion you do not feel that way, and that is fine.

Bob
you said, "we should offer to speak to youth groups, a university class, volunteer organizations, etc. about domain names and related topics. I am encouraged that most who responded said we should." Bravo! I use to guest lecture at Old Dominion University many years ago to business and economic students about credit, debt and bankruptcy. Now we're really on to something...I don't think it would be hard at all for this industry to put together a 20 minute video presentation all about the domain industry; how it got started, show a timeline of major events, where it is today, and projections for the future. I'm headed to the gym and then Kiwanis, but I hope you sparked something that domainers the world over "should" be interested in. Maybe the likes of Go Daddy, Uniregistry, Flippa, Sedo etc. will step up to the plate to "Make Something Happen" This is something that "should" have been done long ago, Thanks for being the voice of reason Bob!!!, and i'll be the first one to volunteer to put the domain show on the road.

•••

Bob
Verisign should want to be part of this since they're the largest public company involved in the domain industry, They're here in Virginia and there's a good chance they'll work with me on a project like this, and I'd find it really strange if they wouldn't:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Verisign should want to be part of this since they're the largest public company involved in the domain industry, They're here in Virginia and there's a good chance they'll work with me on a project like this, and I'd find it really strange if they wouldn't:xf.rolleyes:
I would be cautious of company name dropping @ThatNameGuy. Even if they were potentially interested (which I doubt) seeing the idea discussed in prior on a public forum might well poison any possibility.

Maybe the likes of Go Daddy, Uniregistry, Flippa, Sedo etc. will step up to the plate to "Make Something Happen" This is something that "should" have been done long ago,
While in some ways I agree that more public education re domain names is someone's responsibility (ICANN's perhaps?), what I have in mind is not mainly that (although I agree a few resources would be helpful). Rather, in the same way that scientists, authors, astronomy enthusiasts, bird watchers, environmentalists, history buffs, business owners, medical practitioners, etc. regularly volunteer to interact with community groups, without any compensation or even down the road view of a financial return indirectly, if we really want the domain "business" to be viewed positively, at least some involved in it should be willing to do this.

I guess in this as in many things, while it is great to think big or what others should do, maybe the most important thing is to consider what we should be willing to do personally. True, probably we only make a tiny local difference, but sometimes that changes things in ways you can never imagine.

Is @BaileyUK right that the reason stories about domain names are no longer as prominent in the news because there did not seem interest? Quite possibly or even probably he is right, and also with the implication that others would not be interested in learning anything about domain names. We won't know until someone tries.

In another thread it was mentioned that a Domain Name Day in which attention is focussed on domain names in a positive way should be held. I continue to think that is a great idea.

Bob

•••
I think some famous persons can be called as brand.They are in the field for long time,earned name and fame universally.
But for a domain as long as it makes profit for a comps,business owner may b in no position for change.
The word domain remains new to many..
I wonder if there is any curriculum in education dept.globally
The word brand might be used by a comps but may not b excepted by some.just my opinion
Thanks
DpakH

•••
thanks Bob, Yes those that think that initial "All ears" response they get when they mention domain names and the opportunities it presents to friends or even in just general conversation, Normally stems from the fact that indeed it is new to them. I've found most people very responsive , keen to know more But, trust me that interest soon wanes , you try developing holding their interest beyond say a second or third conversation. In general your going to find people avoiding you. Sure 'Computer Geeks' will probably explore but they normally are already aware of the market, just not the $$$$ involved. It is seen as a Geeky hobby and that sums up the response you will get after trying to follow up any initial enthusiasm.

And of course it does depend how honest you are about the investment risk. Those that try and Pretend they are making a fortune -(with very little sales to show) well in the most part, that's someone trying to deceive others as much as they deceive themselves

*Apologize for trying to be funny about the 5k coffee machine , probably too many brandies in my own coffee last night

Last edited:
•••
I admit that my outreach experience so far in domains is very limited, but I do have decades of experience in outreach with almost any kind of group you can imagine. I have been involved with general public, journalists, elementary high school and university students, kindergarten kids, senior citizens, women's groups, church groups, 4H, science clubs, teachers, alumni, naturalists, etc. Probably more than 500 interactions over my life, quite possibly more than 1000. Yes, really.

Based on that outreach experience I offer the following reflections...
  • It is amazing the breadth of things people, especially young people, can find interesting.
  • People like stories. You can do more than tell stories, but that should be part.
  • People like to share their ideas. Give them a voice to express ideas that are related to the topic.
  • People appreciate when you are genuinely interested in them and excited about the topic.
  • Making things fun can work with any kind of group, not just kids.
  • Outreach experiences sometimes leads to life-changing differences in people's lives
If domaining is worth investing effort in doing well, if domain names are really important, I think it is worth sharing that with people.

Just my opinion,

Bob

•••
I admit that my outreach experience so far in domains is very limited, but I do have decades of experience in outreach with almost any kind of group you can imagine. I have been involved with general public, journalists, elementary high school and university students, kindergarten kids, senior citizens, women's groups, church groups, 4H, science clubs, teachers, alumni, naturalists, etc. Probably more than 500 interactions over my life, quite possibly more than 1000. Yes, really.

• It is amazing the breadth of things people, especially young people, can find interesting.
  • People like stories. You can do more than tell stories, but that should be part.
  • People like to share their ideas. Give them a voice to express ideas that are related to the topic.
  • People appreciate when you are genuinely interested in them and excited about the topic.
  • Outreach experiences sometimes leads to life-changing differences in people's lives
If domaining is worth investing effort in doing well, if domain names are really important, I think it is worth sharing that with people.

Just my opinion,

Bob
Bob...i just got off the phone with my rep at Go Daddy and he recommended a book titled; The Name Game; http://thedomaingame.org/

I told him that I thought GD should do about a 20 minute video all about the domain industry that someone like me could take to a high school business class, a local university, home owners associations, clubs like Kiwanis and Rotary etc. He was telling me this book is the closest thing to do that, and DNAcademy would be overkill. I don't know about the relationship between Verisign and GoDaddy, but between the two of them, they can afford to do a first class presentation. Share some more thoughts guys and gals and I'll stir the pot:xf.wink:

•••

Just my opinion,

Bob
Another thing Bob...the preface to The Domain Game shows how this truly is a hidden industry. When you read the preface, it sheds light on why the likes of Sedo, Flippa, Uniregistry, Afternic, Epik etc are reluctant to spread the word;

"Almost everyone has heard a tale of someone getting rich by selling an Internet domain name for a staggering price. But few understand the secretive world of domain investing, a game that a growing number of people are playing around the globe. The Domain Game chronicles the exploits of leading domain investors and explains how this mysterious market works and how a college dropout became a multimillionaire by scooping up domains that others abandoned amid the dot-com bust.

Find out how the rise of Google and Yahoo has helped boost the fortunes of domain investors. And explore the shenanigans of investors who snag names associated with corporate trademarks. Finally, read how you can jump into this exciting market with a relatively small initial investment. It's a market with high risk, but huge potential reward."

This makes it pretty clear that education is whats needed to start clearing the hoards of domains from the shelf. I plan on doing my part even if it means trashing the domain industry as MY loss leader:xf.wink:

•••
I think some famous persons can be called as brand.They are in the field for long time,earned name and fame universally.
But for a domain as long as it makes profit for a comps,business owner may b in no position for change.
The word domain remains new to many..
I wonder if there is any curriculum in education dept.globally
The word brand might be used by a comps but may not b excepted by some.just my opinion
Thanks
DpakH
You said,"The word domain remains new to many." Isn't that amazing, and it's been around for over 30 years. I'm getting ready to reg DomainCollusion.com as a loss leader like I reg'd GolfDied.com as a loss leader for a new game i started called 9Time™ btw, I just reg'd DemocratCollusion.com for obvious reasons. Thanks for positng Dpak(y)

•••
This post was timely. I just registered OnlineBusinessBrands.com yesterday for future use and I couldn't agree with you more. Presenting domains as "brands" seems to be an easier way for end users to relate as many of them won't see the inherent value of a domain name as is.

The approach I take is to add value to the domain name ie. logo + mockup + social accounts then present to end users the "brand" for sale. Of course the added time it takes to do this for each domain has to make sense and the ROI needs to be there.

But in my experience it's an easier way to increase the value perception of your domains for sale. I'm currently working on a system to streamline these processes, including outreach so hopefully I can share more in the near future.
Following your post stating how "timely" this thread was, and that you "couldn't agree with me more", I do have a question for you since my research has shown you to be a true expert in this industry. Shortly after your post I hand registered the domain; BrandOriginator.com. Now after you read the definition here for "Originator", https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/originator ,how is it that this isn't possibly the best "Brand" domain name for marketing Brands/Domains/Names to "end users" in the business world? Thanks

•••
The word "Brand" is probably not the right term, as this word is only used in the english language.
The word "Marketing" is used in much more languages.

•••
The word "Brand" is probably not the right term, as this word is only used in the english language.
The word "Marketing" is used in much more languages.
Not sure I understand your comment? We're talking "Brand" here to attract potential buyers of domains. When you go to BrandBucket.com or BrandPa.com you're essentially there to buy domains. Brand and "Marketing" are two completely different things?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back