Dynadot

Easy Money For All! - NameCheap Coupon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Aspiring Billionaire

Established Member
Impact
I may be new to domaining, but I have a technical mindset when it comes to finding the "silver lining" in potential business opportunities ... and this is one of them.

NAMECHEAP.COM is having a Star Wars special, pricing their .XYZ domains at 44c each (with the promotion running through to the 17th of May 2016. However, they've further reduced this pricing to a mind-blowing 26c per .XYZ domain! So here's my thinking:

If was to invest $260 in a thousand domain names, I'd have a portfolio of 1000 domains in an instant, which is (theiretically) valued at roughly $10 000. That's a saving of $9 740 on the lot!

Now of course there are other factors to consider, such as the renewal fee of $10 000 in the next 12 months, the fact that most of the good names are already taken, etc. etc. etc. ... but even if one was able to successfully conclude 1 sale of $260 out of the 1000 domains then you'd have broken even. Plus, worse case scenario, the domains can expire when the renewal period arrives in 12 months time, no harm no fowl. A small risk for potential gain, that's business basics 101, right?

Personally, I could think of a few ideas for these domains, like easy one-page web-templates (or even whitelabel sites) used for link-building, or advertising space for products & services of larger projects. Either way, who isn't wiling to risk a $260 annual marketing budget that could potentially expose a brand to millions of users across the internet for a full year. I'll be starting off with a specific industry in mind, hoping to acquire 100 domains to start with.

What are your thoughts on the idea, and what would you advise others to do with the domains if you were asked the question "I have 1000 .XYZ domains for a year, what can I do with them"?

Looking forward to the wisdom shared :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
where did u see 26c ? its 26c + 18c for icann ?

•••
Friend, have you ever tried to sell .xyz domains? IMO .xyz they are worthless and that is why they are having that sale at Namecheap. But just my opinion.. what do I know ;)

If you insist on buying them find real "normal" dictionary words and maybe 3-4 letter domains only. IMO these have all been bought up but you never know with these kind of things. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Friend, have you ever tried to sell .xyz domains? IMO .xyz they are worthless and that is why they are having that sale at Namecheap. But just my opinion.. what do I know ;)

If you insist on buying them find real "normal" dictionary words and maybe 3-4 letter domains only. IMO these have all been bought up but you never know with these kind of things. Good luck!
Good point mitch007, haven't "really" tried yet but I tend to agree to some extent. I can't ignore the fact that some have sold though, but irrespective of resale potential I would strongly consider the odds. Anyway, I 100% agree with your reason for them dropping the price that low, but are you able to see any opportunity in it? BTW, you know 100% more than I do. Thank you for your comments :)

•••
yes true.
26+17 ;)

and yes true.. it is not easy to sell xyz and even more so of the variety that are still left to reg today :)

it is common practice for people to assume regging cheap will yield or almost guarantee results. but that's why they have those promos.. to get you in that way! ;)

•••
yes true.
26+17 ;)

and yes true.. it is not easy to sell xyz and even more so of the variety that are still left to reg today :)

it is common practice for people to assume regging cheap will yield or almost guarantee results. but that's why they have those promos.. to get you in that way! ;)

Yeah kind of like Carnival games, some look easy but then you don't see the bottles you knocked over are weighted down, or the basket is tilted so the softball pops back out and no prize.

We just really have not seen any English .xyz names sell in any volume. Of course 88.xyz will sell but what about golfclubs or tennisshoes ?

•••
•••
You dont have your user name for nothing :)

I would say not to indulge in such deal and only try to get one word dictionary domain and also short 4 Ls that are pronounceable.

1000 is simply too much even if it is just $260 up front investment.

•••
You dont have your user name for nothing :)

I would say not to indulge in such deal and only try to get one word dictionary domain and also short 4 Ls that are pronounceable.

1000 is simply too much even if it is just $260 up front investment.
Message noted Abdullah Abdullah, thank you for your time :)

•••
Old News @Aspiring Billionaire : wink :
https://www.namepros.com/threads/xyz-44-cents-namecheap-ends-may-10th-midnight-est.943377/
(They extended the date to May 17th since the email they sent me when I posted that thread)

Just for fun I have about 15, I agree with all wise advice above, I wouldn't go crazy with the special. I doubt even that there are 1000 decent names to be registered.
Thanks for clarity usernamex. @winson mentioned it above but it didn't click that they're actually did not reduce the 44c price as my post suggests, but rather gave the "all inclusive" pricing upfront. Thank you for your input :)

•••
Speaking as an end-user and as someone new to domaining...I still say that is a stupid extension. I don't care how many people flipped whatever.xyz for gazillions of dollars. But then again, I am new...what do I know.

•••
If was to invest $260 in a thousand domain names, I'd have a portfolio of 1000 domains in an instant, which is (theiretically) valued at roughly $10 000. That's a saving of $9 740 on the lot!
Where does that valuation come from ?

but even if one was able to successfully conclude 1 sale of $260 out of the 1000 domains then you'd have broken even.
Of course that's what everybody thinks: "I just need one sale to break even". But the odds are stacked against you. Even making a single sale is a huge challenge, that's why most domainers are losing money nonetheless. If it were easy everybody would be doing it.
It's the lottery mentality: the more domains I have the more I am likely to get an offer. But it doesn't work like that, if you have bad names you will get no offers. If you have quality names, you are more likely to get offers.
Quality > quantity.

I would rather buy one, two or three prerelease domains with the $260. If you pick the names carefully you have a realistic change of achieving sales to end users. Worst-case scenario, none will sell but at least you have great domains that you can use. Whereas the 1000 .xyz are probably useless for any serious purpose and they will end up in the trash bin anyway.

•••
The .xyz carcass has being well ribbed by now, only morsels of flesh remain.

Whats left is destined to go rancid ....

•••
Where does that valuation come from ?

Of course that's what everybody thinks: "I just need one sale to break even". But the odds are stacked against you. Even making a single sale is a huge challenge, that's why most domainers are losing money nonetheless. If it were easy everybody would be doing it.
It's the lottery mentality: the more domains I have the more I am likely to get an offer. But it doesn't work like that, if you have bad names you will get no offers. If you have quality names, you are more likely to get offers.
Quality > quantity.

I would rather buy one, two or three prerelease domains with the $260. If you pick the names carefully you have a realistic change of achieving sales to end users. Worst-case scenario, none will sell but at least you have great domains that you can use. Whereas the 1000 .xyz are probably useless for any serious purpose and they will end up in the trash bin anyway.
Well said Kate, thank you for the input. Apologies for the terrible spelling, I meant to write "theoretically" which was meant to be understood as "in theory" based only on the fact that the renewal cost (or rather the original registration fee) is around $10 per domain. I wouldn't dare attempt to "value" any domains myself, being this new in the game :)

Very good points overall, Thank you for your time ;)

•••
Sounds really, really great in theory, and yes, you could probably sell enough of the domains to at least break even, or profit. It's easy to buy shitty domains for literal pennies, and also pretty easy to sell them for slightly more literal pennies.

But like you said, most great domains are gone. Plus, most end-users, and a lot of domainers, just don't have much of an interest in .xyz. And trying to self-broker 260 domains just to get "that one sale" is countless hours of incredibly boring lead generation and sending out emails that make you hate yourself.

The real question is whether or not it's worth your time. Seeking out 260 domains to hand-register, that might be mediocre enough to sell, is a lot of work. Buying 260 (relatively) shitty domains to develop into affiliate or white-label sites is going to be a fucking ton of work on your end (time is money), or a fucking ton of money paying designers and developers. And then how do you get an audience? Organic SEO isn't going to take you very far, especially within just a year on hand-regs. Advertising adds up quick.

Sounds like way too much time, energy, and a lot of book-keeping work for not enough gain to make it worth while. I'd say, save that $260 and put it toward one good .com that you're guaranteed to get inquiries on, and eventually make a minimal-effort profit on.

•••
Speaking from experience! I've been trying to get more into the gambling niche, and I picked up five or six good gambling-niche names in the .bid extension that were part of NameCheap's sale thinking "Why the hell not, I'll buy them for a dollar, sell them for $5, it's just too easy"

People just don't have any interest unless they're phenomenal names. I've had these names for a little over a week, and already I'm considering just dropping them because I'm tired of seeing them in my NameCheap account, and they're no longer worth my time at all trying to sell, just to make a couple bucks profit. Buy enough shitty names and they just become clutter. There are so many better and easier ways to make money in this industry.

•••
Speaking as an end-user and as someone new to domaining...I still say that is a stupid extension. I don't care how many people flipped whatever.xyz for gazillions of dollars. But then again, I am new...what do I know.

True. SEO.xyz is still available to hand-reg. That should tell you something about the .xyz extension. There have been some big sales in it, but it's just not stable enough, even for "quality names"

•••
Speaking from experience! I've been trying to get more into the gambling niche, and I picked up five or six good gambling-niche names in the .bid extension that were part of NameCheap's sale thinking "Why the hell not, I'll buy them for a dollar, sell them for $5, it's just too easy"

People just don't have any interest unless they're phenomenal names. I've had these names for a little over a week, and already I'm considering just dropping them because I'm tired of seeing them in my NameCheap account, and they're no longer worth my time at all trying to sell, just to make a couple bucks profit. Buy enough sh*tty names and they just become clutter. There are so many better and easier ways to make money in this industry.
Thanks for all your comments Jordan Stephensen, much appreciated.

•••
SEO.xyz : premium pricing $3000
That's why it's still available.

•••
•••
Renewals shouldn't be that high for any name worth-while enough to register in an extension. Best of luck convincing the majority of end-users to pay that much each year. Renewals that high just scream that the extension isn't stable.

•••
@Aspiring Billionaire sorry for sounding so bitter... I like the way you think, I just wish it was that easy (and I wish I hadn't lost time and money with a similar mindset)

•••
SEO.xyz for $3,000... Does anyone know if it has higher-priced renewals, too?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back