IT.COM

Easy Money For All! - NameCheap Coupon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Aspiring Billionaire

Established Member
Impact
I may be new to domaining, but I have a technical mindset when it comes to finding the "silver lining" in potential business opportunities ... and this is one of them.

NAMECHEAP.COM is having a Star Wars special, pricing their .XYZ domains at 44c each (with the promotion running through to the 17th of May 2016. However, they've further reduced this pricing to a mind-blowing 26c per .XYZ domain! So here's my thinking:

If was to invest $260 in a thousand domain names, I'd have a portfolio of 1000 domains in an instant, which is (theiretically) valued at roughly $10 000. That's a saving of $9 740 on the lot!

Now of course there are other factors to consider, such as the renewal fee of $10 000 in the next 12 months, the fact that most of the good names are already taken, etc. etc. etc. ... but even if one was able to successfully conclude 1 sale of $260 out of the 1000 domains then you'd have broken even. Plus, worse case scenario, the domains can expire when the renewal period arrives in 12 months time, no harm no fowl. A small risk for potential gain, that's business basics 101, right?

Personally, I could think of a few ideas for these domains, like easy one-page web-templates (or even whitelabel sites) used for link-building, or advertising space for products & services of larger projects. Either way, who isn't wiling to risk a $260 annual marketing budget that could potentially expose a brand to millions of users across the internet for a full year. I'll be starting off with a specific industry in mind, hoping to acquire 100 domains to start with.

What are your thoughts on the idea, and what would you advise others to do with the domains if you were asked the question "I have 1000 .XYZ domains for a year, what can I do with them"?

Looking forward to the wisdom shared :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Nat Hunt
You can download the CSV of all the Variably Priced Premiums here
https://gen.xyz/domain-investors/vp/xyz-vp.csv

The highest priced (like single character) are US$55,000 and the least expensive VPP are $350, suggested retail.
Then search the different registrars for their exact prices (I only did these three - there might be even better)
seo.xyz at NameCheap $3,250.00/year, at DynaDot $3,000.00/year, at Uniregistry $2,750.00/year

>>>>>
***Please note that all .xyz domains have a standard recommended retail price of $10/year except for the variably priced premium domains below***
***Pricing for variably priced premiums will vary on a registrar-by-registrar basis. The below pricing is recommended for registration, renewals, and transfers***
<<<<<

•••
Sounds really, really great in theory, and yes, you could probably sell enough of the domains to at least break even, or profit. It's easy to buy sh*tty domains for literal pennies, and also pretty easy to sell them for slightly more literal pennies.

But like you said, most great domains are gone. Plus, most end-users, and a lot of domainers, just don't have much of an interest in .xyz. And trying to self-broker 260 domains just to get "that one sale" is countless hours of incredibly boring lead generation and sending out emails that make you hate yourself.

The real question is whether or not it's worth your time. Seeking out 260 domains to hand-register, that might be mediocre enough to sell, is a lot of work. Buying 260 (relatively) sh*tty domains to develop into affiliate or white-label sites is going to be a f*cking ton of work on your end (time is money), or a f*cking ton of money paying designers and developers. And then how do you get an audience? Organic SEO isn't going to take you very far, especially within just a year on hand-regs. Advertising adds up quick.

Sounds like way too much time, energy, and a lot of book-keeping work for not enough gain to make it worth while. I'd say, save that $260 and put it toward one good .com that you're guaranteed to get inquiries on, and eventually make a minimal-effort profit on.

Sorry... *1000 names, not 260. Just realized I got the numbers backwards...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back