IT.COM

poll Easiest way to make money from domain names?

NameSilo
Watch

What's the easiest way to make money from a domain name?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Sell domain name

votes
    77.8%
  • Park domain name with ads

vote
    1.2%
  • Develop domain name with ads

votes
    9.9%
  • Lease domain name

vote
    1.2%
  • Other ( post in thread )

vote
    1.2%
  • Develop domain name and sell it

votes
    8.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Interested to know your opinion of what is the easiest way to earn a specific amount from domain names in a specific time frame, spending the least amount of your time and money in the process. Full disclosure: although I almost exclusively develop domain names with ads, I have voted for parking with ads because I think it's the most logical way to earn money from domain names. Just doesn't excite me at all and you need to stay motivated in this game.
  • Let's say as an example you can invest one hour each day for one year
  • Your total budget for domain name purchasing is $ 500
  • You want to double your investment within one year to $ 1000

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As always, depends on the domain. I was about to type out an essay about a lot of things, but I think its pretty pointless...it just depends. IMO

Generally: Straight selling / providing leasing options is easiest (less hassle), as the other ways may require more time and work. However...what you own, your niche, patience and style as a domainer will determine what you do / what you think is best, among other factors

I can only speak for myself. If we're going by the $500 to $1,000 idea by year end, if that's my mission...I reckon I've got a better chance doubling that investment with a sell...assuming I've bought right, assuming my ideal world is there, in this fantasy situation. Why? Because I think developing it / ad revenue for a domain of that quality (XXX) is going to wound my soul, but that's just me

Last edited:
•••
take me as an example, (not a pro)

8 months ago in i was desperate and broke i only had about 10$ (local currency converted to $)
i decided to invest in the most effective way i know, (i'm a digital marketing geek)

before i had the 10$ that my dad just gave me to go to a barbershop (lol), i was investigating domaining before and looking for a domain i can bet on.

i know a little bit about startups, i watch shark tank a lot. from that knowledge i came up with about 400 domain name ideas (+/-) from all industries i always use everything i come across as an inspiration for domain names even though i don't have the money, i have lists of domain name ideas on my phone on, my computer, on paper, 100s.

through the deep study i did about domaining i learned how to differentiate between a good domain a decent and a bad domain.

i came across a domain which is help/pivot,com a pivot is a common word in the business and startups world it means change the direction of a company and it is a rough thing for those entities so they might need consulting to do it. meaning the target was a business consulting firm. when i saw it not registred i was surprised.

but fast forward to few days later, i got another 15$s from dad 10$ and mom 5$ so i started looking for another domain.

i started coming up with domain name ideas again, until i came up with pivotstartup,com i was way beyond surprised, adrenaline went through the roof, right away i thought that i found a gem.

i was afraid that if i waited till tomorrow the domain will be registered by someone else, but it was too late. banks are closed i can't deposit the money today.

anyway the day after i deposited those few bucks like a jock, came back home and registered that domain right away.

asked the community here for appraisal a couple guys told me it is not a big deal, i didn't believe that. went to fb grps asked again, someone thought that the domain could be a hit, told me he can see it sell for 2500$ to 4000$ (i knew it) told me to put it for sale on afternic for 3888$, and i did just about that but didn't list a price, just make offer.

8 months after about 4 days ago, i received an email from afternic, you got a buyer request.

i got confused and didn't know what price should i ask for, because i kinda forgot about the domain name and didn't expect this coming, (forgot to mention there was another domain close to mine listed for 1995$ which is startuppivot,com, that domain was another reason why i was convinced to register that domain).

eventually i asked for 2445$ more than the competitors domain i thought i got a little bit greedy and i thought that might give my domain some extra value because i price it higher.

i emailed this to afternic sales support asking for a pricing strategy, i told them that i'm that desperate to sell the dn and i could accept 450$ lol they can negotiate and accept it, if the buyer did not want to buy for the price i listed they could accept anywhere from 450$ to 2445$ but i prefer 1k+.

more than 48 hours later i got no response from them.
so i decided to remove the price again, did that. but few hours later changed my mind again and i thought that i should reduce the price a little bit hoping that the buyer will see the change and changes his mind
i reduced the price to 1895$ and went to sleep.

the next morning i woke up to the congrats email i sold the domain for 1895$ and netted 1516$

anyway, still did not get any money transfer and still afternic did not schedule the payment.
googled why, everyone says they always delay the payment i hope they transfer the money as soon as possible so i can believe what just happened.

1644321951251.png

•••
Buying and Selling is the easiest and most straightforward way to make money with domains IMO. It is a model that scales well.

Anything that involves development might require an extra skillset which you already have, or takes a longer time to learn.

When I started investing in domains I probably spent 8+ hours a day doing domain related stuff, mainly searching for domains. After years of buy, sell, rinse, repeat I have thousands of domains and spend far less time daily on actual domain related work.

•••

8 months ago in i was desperate and broke i only had about 10$ (local currency converted to $)
i decided to invest in the most effective way i know, (i'm a digital marketing geek)

before i had the 10$ that my dad just gave me to go to a barbershop (lol), i was investigating domaining before and looking for a domain i can bet on.

i know a little bit about startups, i watch shark tank a lot. from that knowledge i came up with about 400 domain name ideas (+/-) from all industries i always use everything i come across as an inspiration for domain names even though i don't have the money, i have lists of domain name ideas on my phone on, my computer, on paper, 100s.

through the deep study i did about domaining i learned how to differentiate between a good domain a decent and a bad domain.

i came across a domain which is help/pivot,com a pivot is a common word in the business and startups world it means change the direction of a company and it is a rough thing for those entities so they might need consulting to do it. meaning the target was a business consulting firm. when i saw it not registred i was surprised.

but fast forward to few days later, i got another 15$s from dad 10$ and mom 5$ so i started looking for another domain.

i started coming up with domain name ideas again, until i came up with pivotstartup,com i was way beyond surprised, adrenaline went through the roof, right away i thought that i found a gem.

i was afraid that if i waited till tomorrow the domain will be registered by someone else, but it was too late. banks are closed i can't deposit the money today.

anyway the day after i deposited those few bucks like a jock, came back home and registered that domain right away.

asked the community here for appraisal a couple guys told me it is not a big deal, i didn't believe that. went to fb grps asked again, someone thought that the domain could be a hit, told me he can see it sell for 2500$ to 4000$ (i knew it) told me to put it for sale on afternic for 3888$, and i did just about that but didn't list a price, just make offer.

8 months after about 4 days ago, i received an email from afternic, you got a buyer request.

i got confused and didn't know what price should i ask for, because i kinda forgot about the domain name and didn't expect this coming, (forgot to mention there was another domain close to mine listed for 1995$ which is startuppivot,com, that domain was another reason why i was convinced to register that domain).

eventually i asked for 2445$ more than the competitors domain i thought i got a little bit greedy and i thought that might give my domain some extra value because i price it higher.

i emailed this to afternic sales support asking for a pricing strategy, i told them that i'm that desperate to sell the dn and i could accept 450$ lol they can negotiate and accept it, if the buyer did not want to buy for the price i listed they could accept anywhere from 450$ to 2445$ but i prefer 1k+.

so i decided to remove the price again, did that. but few hours later changed my mind again and i thought that i should reduce the price a little bit hoping that the buyer will see the change and changes his mind

the next morning i woke up to the congrats email i sold the domain for 1895$ and netted 1516$

anyway, still did not get any money transfer and still afternic did not schedule the payment.
googled why, everyone says they always delay the payment i hope they transfer the money as soon as possible so i can believe what just happened.

Show attachment 209556

Thanks or sharing. It kind of shows what you can do on a limited budget and with a decent two word .COM.

In .COM anything decent has a chance to sell.

It might be unique that you bought one domain, then sold it as the normal end user sell-through rate is 1-2% a year. But, if you take that sale and re-invest it into similar quality domains your odds for the next sale go up dramatically.

You keep doing that over and over, and you have a viable sustainable business model.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks or sharing. It kind of shows what you can do on a limited budget and with a decent two word .COM.

In .COM anything decent has a chance to sell.

It might be unique that you bought one domain, then sold it as the normal end user sell-through rate is 1-2% a year. But, if you take that sale and re-invest it into similar quality domains your odds for the next sale go up dramatically.

You keep doing that over and over, and you have a viable sustainable business model.

Brad
Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it.

indeed, if you put in the work needed to study domaining, followed the rules and kept brainstorming non-stop. you might find some decent domains still not registered. i do recommend brainstorming a lot, and using everything you face in life as an inspiration to come up with domain ideas.

the benefit of it is the practice.

before i came up with this domain i brainstormed many domain names sometimes out of curiosity if i will find the domain available or not, sometimes I'm seriously considering investing in that domain if i had funds in the future...

and of course the knowledge available in this forum is more than enough to learn how to filter domain names.

after thanking god, i thank this forum and its members.

yassine

•••
I decided to develop domain names with ads. It's less risky.

•••
Buy a name in an expiring auction that had a site on it that has backlinks to it. Make sure it is a niche with a good cpc 2 dollars and up that has good volume.

Rebuild the site the way it was, add new articles everyday that are unique, even if they are 30 word articles, focus on good keywords.

Get link backs to your site and articles. Spend that hour just doing what I said every day.

After 6 months you will have over 120 unique articles (some 900 words some 30 words)

Every article turn into a youtube video (automatic system that will take the writing and create videos, text to speech etc and link to your site) Share the video on other video sites. Do the same with social media platforms. Hour a day is all you need unless you do it without automation tools.

You will start getting traffic and if you do it all correct and followed everything there is a good chance, no guarantees, that from adsense you will earn about 500 monthly starting at the 10th month.

This takes work and I would say 99% of people that started doing what I just wrote will drop out after a few weeks, just like everything else in life, the few that stick to things do well, the rest are just the rest.

•••
lol u forgot most important choice..there is no easy way... no more in domaining than any other way in life of making money

everyting requires tons of time and energy.

it's a common misconception of newbies that domains are easy money.
then they start and say hello to reality

•••
Hi

Congrats on your sale!

also, appreciate your story of how you found the name that you registered, the diligence and research you did beforehand.
what you detailed is waay more work than what the average newbie who walks in the door today, seems to done.

if you find a formula that works, keep using it

imo...

•••
Hi

Congrats on your sale!

also, appreciate your story of how you found the name that you registered, the diligence and research you did beforehand.
what you detailed is waay more work than what the average newbie who walks in the door today, seems to done.

if you find a formula that works, keep using it

imo...
thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.

•••

Show attachment 209556
Congratulations

•••
Buy a name in an expiring auction that had a site on it that has backlinks to it. Make sure it is a niche with a good cpc 2 dollars and up that has good volume.

Rebuild the site the way it was, add new articles everyday that are unique, even if they are 30 word articles, focus on good keywords.

Get link backs to your site and articles. Spend that hour just doing what I said every day.

After 6 months you will have over 120 unique articles (some 900 words some 30 words)

Every article turn into a youtube video (automatic system that will take the writing and create videos, text to speech etc and link to your site) Share the video on other video sites. Do the same with social media platforms. Hour a day is all you need unless you do it without automation tools.

You will start getting traffic and if you do it all correct and followed everything there is a good chance, no guarantees, that from adsense you will earn about 500 monthly starting at the 10th month.

This takes work and I would say 99% of people that started doing what I just wrote will drop out after a few weeks, just like everything else in life, the few that stick to things do well, the rest are just the rest.
Best post of 2022 so far. Cheers @AEProgram.

Last edited:
•••
•••
In my opinion, all 6 options in the poll are viable, but are dependent on the investors motivational preferences. We're all different and have varying motivational triggers.

Important factors:
  • Time-management - Dedicated block of time every day that you invest into a specific option (Research, investing, data-entry, etc.)
  • Genuine interest - An option you are passionate about and find happiness doing (No interest = lack of motivational trigger)
  • Motivational events - Achieving short-term and long-term goals as you go, that stimulate your chi and get back your mojo (A goal list is one of the best ways to prolong motivation through acomplishments)
If one of the above factors is missing, it's going to be hard to succeed at any of the 6 options.

It's also not uncommon to burn-out after a decade or two in this industry, where as, none of the 6 options would work for someone. At least, not until they are able to rekindle their geniune interest and have the ability to remotivate. At that time, good things will start to happen again in relation to it.

It's way too easy sometimes to get side-tracked with life and other responsabilities.

•••

Any recommendations? I have tried quite a few and they are sh*t

Finding a site that combines article text to speech and video as an all in one solution is hard - The ones I have tried do not create professional videos - look spammy, sound spammy and are of a overall poor quality - even the paid ones.....

Automation is the way to go, but if it's not quality it is detrimental for the Brand.....

•••
Any recommendations? I have tried quite a few and they are sh*t

Finding a site that combines article text to speech and video as an all in one solution is hard - The ones I have tried do not create professional videos - look spammy, sound spammy and are of a overall poor quality - even the paid ones.....

Automation is the way to go, but if it's not quality it is detrimental for the Brand.....
The business model I suggested is not about building a brand. The goal of the model is:

• Provide relevant information so visitors to the site stay and read and do not hit the back button right away
  • Make sure the site will be quality enough to be accepted on ad networks
  • The site must be good enough that advertisers won't add it to their exclusion list
  • Build a monthly income stream
  • Create a work flow that lets you replicate this to other niches
If the goal is to build a brand, you must go a different route. In this model, you are fine with the fact that most people coming to the site will never come back again because they are looking for one off information. If you are planning to make content that you think people will want to return again and again you might want to use a mailchimp like service and push alerts etc and build a list.

The video creation and sharing on video sites is meant to get people to your site and it also has some not much backlink value.

You will have to ignore the imperfections of automated video creators. Obviously, if you were to build a brand, start to offer your own product or service, you would want professional videos created. For this model don't worry about that.

A video creator that does good enough for this is https://www.articlevideorobot.com/ I have no interest in that service, it's just one I found to keep things very direct for this model and fast.

Once a site is making money you could always spend more to make it better. A lot of people make a living from being article writers (for random blogs, nothing popular) because blog owners that already make money need content and they outsource it to people to write. Obviously if you hire a bad writer that steals articles google will detect that and you will lose, but there are honest good writers out there, not many but they are out there.

•••
The business model I suggested is not about building a brand. The goal of the model is:

• Provide relevant information so visitors to the site stay and read and do not hit the back button right away
  • Make sure the site will be quality enough to be accepted on ad networks
  • The site must be good enough that advertisers won't add it to their exclusion list
  • Build a monthly income stream
  • Create a work flow that lets you replicate this to other niches
If the goal is to build a brand, you must go a different route. In this model, you are fine with the fact that most people coming to the site will never come back again because they are looking for one off information. If you are planning to make content that you think people will want to return again and again you might want to use a mailchimp like service and push alerts etc and build a list.

The video creation and sharing on video sites is meant to get people to your site and it also has some not much backlink value.

You will have to ignore the imperfections of automated video creators. Obviously, if you were to build a brand, start to offer your own product or service, you would want professional videos created. For this model don't worry about that.

A video creator that does good enough for this is https://www.articlevideorobot.com/ I have no interest in that service, it's just one I found to keep things very direct for this model and fast.

Once a site is making money you could always spend more to make it better. A lot of people make a living from being article writers (for random blogs, nothing popular) because blog owners that already make money need content and they outsource it to people to write. Obviously if you hire a bad writer that steals articles google will detect that and you will lose, but there are honest good writers out there, not many but they are out there.
After my post I reached to some voice over people and for a similar price to these crap automation sites can get my blogs read by real people with background music included - add these to videos and it's good to go without compromising on quality......covers YouTube, Instagram, FB videos and Podcasts

Decided on this route rather compromising on quality - each to their own I guess.....

•••

Show attachment 209556
@yass1ne Thanks for sharing your 1st domain sell story. That's pretty cool.. I wish you many more sales!

•••
•••

Show attachment 209556

Congrats on your sale. I'm happy to read about it and can feel you so much.
At my first sale i can't belive it until the money hits my bank account too.
But i have to disagree that they delay at payouts.
I get the money mostly one day after it sold / domain transfered.
Did you set up your payment settings correctly?

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 209556
Congratulation on sale
If you take 8 month to sell first domain , me take 12 years to made first 5 figure sale for 1 domain 🤗 2 days ago

Last edited:
•••
thanks
yes i set up my payments correctly i used paypal.
i got the money 6 days later, as long as they didn't go for more than a week, that is fine.
i was very scared that the sale fall in the last stage.

•••
Congratulation on sale
If you take 8 month to sell first domain , me take 12 years to made first 5 figure sale for 1 domain 🤗 2 days ago
congratulations on that sale, you deserve it since you stayed for 12 years.

•••
What payment method you use?

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back