Dynadot

poll Easiest way to make money from domain names?

NameSilo
Watch

What's the easiest way to make money from a domain name?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Sell domain name

votes
    77.8%
  • Park domain name with ads

vote
    1.2%
  • Develop domain name with ads

votes
    9.9%
  • Lease domain name

vote
    1.2%
  • Other ( post in thread )

vote
    1.2%
  • Develop domain name and sell it

votes
    8.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Interested to know your opinion of what is the easiest way to earn a specific amount from domain names in a specific time frame, spending the least amount of your time and money in the process. Full disclosure: although I almost exclusively develop domain names with ads, I have voted for parking with ads because I think it's the most logical way to earn money from domain names. Just doesn't excite me at all and you need to stay motivated in this game.
  • Let's say as an example you can invest one hour each day for one year
  • Your total budget for domain name purchasing is $ 500
  • You want to double your investment within one year to $ 1000

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What payment method you use?

Thanks
As a european seller i use "echeck / local bank transfer / SEPA bank transfer"

•••
Maybe Selling is the easiest way.

•••
the easiest way is wherever you have the most skillsets and your goals.

I love recurring income, so I would rather develop a name and have ongoing income then to constantly run the hamster wheel trying to buy and sell names.

Plenty of people have bought hand regged names and are now generating $1k or more per month on a basic news or blog site.

•••
@yass1ne Your whole story touched me a lot. You had the budget for one domain name only and you sold it pretty easily, within one year. Félicitations! And btw, pivotstartup is a lot better than startuppivot. :xf.wink:

You mentionned something that his so true : "using everything you face in life as an inspiration to come up with domain ideas". As simple as this! You need to be proud. Overthinking can makes you hesitant and lost opportunities. But always respect your values, limits and... budget of course.

Like you said @bmugford, it needs time and patience when we start in this universe. Well, for any project or business. I spent personally 12-15 hours per day last 2 months. Today, I got (and choose) 180 quality domain names I bought from multiple places and methods. I'm proud of all. I'm full of marketing strategies, tools and... dreams lolll. Everything is possible with constant effort and passion. But I have to say that I'm a web developper, certified teacher and business consultant so it was a BIG PLUS.

My only regret is that I haven't started before, when I was studying 20 years ago. But I guess it's never too late...We'll see what metaverses, ovr, nft and crazy new world have to offers.

Good luck with anything @yass1ne and tell us what is your second domain name purchase. :xf.cool:

And don't forget @everyone : don't look forward to make profit and nothing else.

•••
thanks @Kaptiva for those kind words, i would say having that limited budget, helped me be careful and focus on quality, which needed me to take my time in the learning phase and use my different experiences as an inspiration because that helps.

with the knowledge and experience you have you can get your hands on some unregistered domains that worth registering, that is how to succeed in the hand registration.

good luck to you and thank you.

•••
Congratulations on the sale, @yass1ne!
I also really appreciate telling us how it came about, and admire the approach you used with respect to research, choosing the best to invest in, and reasonable pricing with a bit of flexibility to get the sale to close. Well done.
Best wishes for many more sales.
Bob

•••
Congratulations on the sale, @yass1ne!
I also really appreciate telling us how it came about, and admire the approach you used with respect to research, choosing the best to invest in, and reasonable pricing with a bit of flexibility to get the sale to close. Well done.
Best wishes for many more sales.
Bob
Thanks Mr, Hawkes
your content helped me a lot.

•••
take me as an example, (not a pro)

8 months ago in i was desperate and broke i only had about 10$ (local currency converted to $)
i decided to invest in the most effective way i know, (i'm a digital marketing geek)

before i had the 10$ that my dad just gave me to go to a barbershop (lol), i was investigating domaining before and looking for a domain i can bet on.

i know a little bit about startups, i watch shark tank a lot. from that knowledge i came up with about 400 domain name ideas (+/-) from all industries i always use everything i come across as an inspiration for domain names even though i don't have the money, i have lists of domain name ideas on my phone on, my computer, on paper, 100s.

through the deep study i did about domaining i learned how to differentiate between a good domain a decent and a bad domain.

i came across a domain which is help/pivot,com a pivot is a common word in the business and startups world it means change the direction of a company and it is a rough thing for those entities so they might need consulting to do it. meaning the target was a business consulting firm. when i saw it not registred i was surprised.

but fast forward to few days later, i got another 15$s from dad 10$ and mom 5$ so i started looking for another domain.

i started coming up with domain name ideas again, until i came up with pivotstartup,com i was way beyond surprised, adrenaline went through the roof, right away i thought that i found a gem.

i was afraid that if i waited till tomorrow the domain will be registered by someone else, but it was too late. banks are closed i can't deposit the money today.

anyway the day after i deposited those few bucks like a jock, came back home and registered that domain right away.

asked the community here for appraisal a couple guys told me it is not a big deal, i didn't believe that. went to fb grps asked again, someone thought that the domain could be a hit, told me he can see it sell for 2500$ to 4000$ (i knew it) told me to put it for sale on afternic for 3888$, and i did just about that but didn't list a price, just make offer.

8 months after about 4 days ago, i received an email from afternic, you got a buyer request.

i got confused and didn't know what price should i ask for, because i kinda forgot about the domain name and didn't expect this coming, (forgot to mention there was another domain close to mine listed for 1995$ which is startuppivot,com, that domain was another reason why i was convinced to register that domain).

eventually i asked for 2445$ more than the competitors domain i thought i got a little bit greedy and i thought that might give my domain some extra value because i price it higher.

i emailed this to afternic sales support asking for a pricing strategy, i told them that i'm that desperate to sell the dn and i could accept 450$ lol they can negotiate and accept it, if the buyer did not want to buy for the price i listed they could accept anywhere from 450$ to 2445$ but i prefer 1k+.

more than 48 hours later i got no response from them.
so i decided to remove the price again, did that. but few hours later changed my mind again and i thought that i should reduce the price a little bit hoping that the buyer will see the change and changes his mind
i reduced the price to 1895$ and went to sleep.

the next morning i woke up to the congrats email i sold the domain for 1895$ and netted 1516$

anyway, still did not get any money transfer and still afternic did not schedule the payment.
googled why, everyone says they always delay the payment i hope they transfer the money as soon as possible so i can believe what just happened.

Show attachment 209556
Thank you for sharing this, great inspiration.. what I hate most is people telling someone that his domains aren't worthy! And the best thing is that you proved them WRONG🔥🔥

•••
Thanks for sharing,
I can understand the mood after the sale

•••
@yass1ne
Congratulations on your first sale, your story is motivational

•••
I have voted for parking with ads because I think it's the most logical way to earn money from domain names.

How are you making any significant money parking domains in 2022? The domain won't rank in search and type in traffic is only getting lower and lower

•••

8 months ago in i was desperate and broke i only had about 10$ (local currency converted to $)
i decided to invest in the most effective way i know, (i'm a digital marketing geek)

before i had the 10$ that my dad just gave me to go to a barbershop (lol), i was investigating domaining before and looking for a domain i can bet on.

i know a little bit about startups, i watch shark tank a lot. from that knowledge i came up with about 400 domain name ideas (+/-) from all industries i always use everything i come across as an inspiration for domain names even though i don't have the money, i have lists of domain name ideas on my phone on, my computer, on paper, 100s.

through the deep study i did about domaining i learned how to differentiate between a good domain a decent and a bad domain.

i came across a domain which is help/pivot,com a pivot is a common word in the business and startups world it means change the direction of a company and it is a rough thing for those entities so they might need consulting to do it. meaning the target was a business consulting firm. when i saw it not registred i was surprised.

but fast forward to few days later, i got another 15$s from dad 10$ and mom 5$ so i started looking for another domain.

i started coming up with domain name ideas again, until i came up with pivotstartup,com i was way beyond surprised, adrenaline went through the roof, right away i thought that i found a gem.

i was afraid that if i waited till tomorrow the domain will be registered by someone else, but it was too late. banks are closed i can't deposit the money today.

anyway the day after i deposited those few bucks like a jock, came back home and registered that domain right away.

asked the community here for appraisal a couple guys told me it is not a big deal, i didn't believe that. went to fb grps asked again, someone thought that the domain could be a hit, told me he can see it sell for 2500$ to 4000$ (i knew it) told me to put it for sale on afternic for 3888$, and i did just about that but didn't list a price, just make offer.

8 months after about 4 days ago, i received an email from afternic, you got a buyer request.

i got confused and didn't know what price should i ask for, because i kinda forgot about the domain name and didn't expect this coming, (forgot to mention there was another domain close to mine listed for 1995$ which is startuppivot,com, that domain was another reason why i was convinced to register that domain).

eventually i asked for 2445$ more than the competitors domain i thought i got a little bit greedy and i thought that might give my domain some extra value because i price it higher.

i emailed this to afternic sales support asking for a pricing strategy, i told them that i'm that desperate to sell the dn and i could accept 450$ lol they can negotiate and accept it, if the buyer did not want to buy for the price i listed they could accept anywhere from 450$ to 2445$ but i prefer 1k+.

so i decided to remove the price again, did that. but few hours later changed my mind again and i thought that i should reduce the price a little bit hoping that the buyer will see the change and changes his mind

the next morning i woke up to the congrats email i sold the domain for 1895$ and netted 1516$

anyway, still did not get any money transfer and still afternic did not schedule the payment.
googled why, everyone says they always delay the payment i hope they transfer the money as soon as possible so i can believe what just happened.

Show attachment 209556
I am happy to read this from you. It shows that you will make an exceptional brandable domain seller. Thank you for the insight. I learned something new.

•••
How are you making any significant money parking domains in 2022? The domain won't rank in search and type in traffic is only getting lower and lower
With right domains it's maybe the simplest way to make money from domain names. Many many many people still type in dot com. Perhaps there's a middle ground between parking and developing. Perhaps developing a parking site something like that. I haven't got many dot com names so it's not worth my time investigating. Also I could be wrong.

•••
Kidnap the family of some important celebrity or politician, email them your portfolio with the price of your choice and demand they buy it. Done , advice on how not to end up in prison is not included and is an additional fee.

•••

Show attachment 209556
Congratulations on your sale. Do you have any link where I can be watching Shark Tank episodes?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Not the easiest but the best way:

Build a site with something new or interesting and would catch attention of big players, and gets word of mouth advertising naturally (don't trust seo rankings). Youtube was sold for 1+billion. I'm sure it wouldn't make so much money without selling. ..And such things are not likely to work anymore. Because there is a big monopoly: search engine, closed source operating system, *ware browsers.

You can create your own smart phone, own operating system, make them popular, ..but don't sell to big tech even for billions. Build your own network. Money is not everything.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back