IT.COM

Dropcatch states "lost partner" but listed it for sale on Hugedomains

NameSilo
Watch

tradejack

Established Member
Impact
I have backordered one domain via dropcatch's discount club and they caught the domain but it was "lost to partner" and when I check the domain, it states that it is available on hugedmains. Didn't they use to list it on hugedomains when there are no backorders for the domain?

https : // i.imgur . com /uAWmcyt.png

https : // i.imgur . com /YcG5E9B.png

(remove spaces)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how would we know they are not cherry picking domains after domain get catched by dropcatch?

No method I can think of... If they doing this, then they may either:

a) review everything manually each day. This is unlikely, due to high level of automation they use in daily operations. As the result of said automation, they periodically catch 100% nonsense or TM domains for themselves and drop these "gems" after 1-2 years.

b) automate the process in one way or another. Such as transferring to themselves domains that had 2 (3,4,etc) discounted backorders. Or transfer to themselves domains backordered by a particular customer or customers (based on manual analysis of their backordering behavior, quality and saleability of the discounted backorders, etc).

Only some "domain leaks" (I mean disclosing in wikileaks/offshoreleaks way) showing their backend scripts can 100% prove if they are doing this or no. It is unlikely to happen though. So, as mentioned above, for all practical purposes, group testing with a statistically significant number of discounted backorders may help to make conclusions. And even with such a testing, the results may not be 100% accurate.

P.S. This post is 100% theoretical. I do not know for sure if they are doing this or no...

•••
the question here is not about Regular backorders. it is about discount domain club when "lost to partner". how would we know they are not cherry picking domains after domain get catched by dropcatch?.... honestly, I don't have that much trust in them unless if they are transparent about it which is not the case. should we just trust them like we trusted snapnames back in 2007/08/09, and in fact they turned out to be shill bidding to increase the profit. we as customers need to be vigilant with these companies, I know probably there is nothing to hold them accountable, that is their platform and they can do whatever they like with it I guess. I am just expressing my thoughts here. I am not really that happy with them and they seem to catch pretty much everything, there is not really much of a choice except to backorder with them.

Partner backorders are at $59. Discount backorders can be placed with bids between $8 & $59. So yes, by design, discount backorders will lost to partner. They are, afterall, bidding higher in theory (No comments or thoughts on whether actual money changes hands and if so, in what amount). It might be that they are not really placing a $59 backorder but actually pay a lower bulk price. But that said, they do get higher priority and that, by definition, means that they will win over discount backorders. Now, if by cherry-picking, you mean they have access to the list of domains backordered by non-partner users, possible yes. But also, I don't see why they'd need to! HD is one of the largest buyer (and as per my knowledge), seller of domains. They have far more data including search, landing page visit and selling trend data than your average domainer. They have more information to order domains than you or I do and can, in theory again, make better decision on which domain to backorder and which to not.

I'm not affiliated with either HD or with DC but these are contiuously repeat questions asked all over this forum and I think this thread as well. Unless there is unequivocal proof that something unethical and illegal is going on, we must have trust in them.

•••
•••
HD becomes a big problem for many domainers, the best way is to make a test with and without DC, here is my strategy:
nice one

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back