NameSilo

Dropcatch states "lost partner" but listed it for sale on Hugedomains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tradejack

Established Member
Impact
I have backordered one domain via dropcatch's discount club and they caught the domain but it was "lost to partner" and when I check the domain, it states that it is available on hugedmains. Didn't they use to list it on hugedomains when there are no backorders for the domain?

https : // i.imgur . com /uAWmcyt.png

https : // i.imgur . com /YcG5E9B.png

(remove spaces)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hugedomains is their partner ;)

•••
Yes, but my question is whether they used to list it on hugedomains only when there are no backorders for the domain?

I guess I read somewhere. If they just allow there partner to outbid regular customers then they are playing it very unfairly. Its like they picking the domains from all the discounted backorders give it to their partners.

Last edited:
•••
Oh well, read this whole thread here:-
https : // www namepros com/threads/dropcatch-com-stole-my-backordered-domain.950904/

It seems like they indeed are playing unfair!

•••
•••
The DropCatch Discount Club is third priority. As defined in our Terms and Conditions: A successful Discount Club backorder is a backorder where there are no regular priced backorders, no Corporate Partner backorders, and that user has the highest Discount Club backorder bid.

To have the best odds of being awarded a domain name on DropCatch you will need to place a first priority backorder. Regular backorders take priority over both bulk partners and discount club. Domains with regular backorder NEVER go to the bulk partner!

Does this help? Please let me know if you have additional questions and always feel free to reach out to support for account level assistance!

•••
Oh well, read this whole thread here:-
https : // www namepros com/threads/dropcatch-com-stole-my-backordered-domain.950904/

It seems like they indeed are playing unfair!

Dropcatch actually plays fair in this regard. If you place a regular, full price back order and it's between you and partner, you get it. But if it was a discounted backorder you placed and a partner happened to be targeting the same name, tough luck. I lost a name last week testing it out being cheap by a few dollars lol.

Last edited:
•••
Dropcatch actually plays fair in this regard. If you place a regular, full price back order and it's between you and partner, you get it.

Unless a magic 2nd backorder appears and then it goes to public auction ;)

•••
Unless a magic 2nd backorder appears and then it goes to public auction ;)

lol honestly I've never had trust issues with Dropcatch compared to some other auction houses... we won't name "Names" ;)

•••
lol honestly I've never had trust issues with Dropcatch compared to some other auction houses... we won't name "Names" ;)

That's good , and soon as they incorporate transparency, I will have no trust issues either.

•••
That's good , and soon as they incorporate transparency, I will have no trust issues either.
We always appreciate feedback from users. If you have questions regarding the priority of our backorders I am happy to further review them with you. Additionally, if you have questions regarding transparency let me know! While we will never release user backorder information we are happy to explain our processes and provide any and all answers we can to ensure you feel comfortable placing backorders on our platform. The integrity of our platform our highest priority. Feel free to direct message us, or contact us through our website with any outstanding questions!

•••
We always appreciate feedback from users. If you have questions regarding the priority of our backorders I am happy to further review them with you. Additionally, if you have questions regarding transparency let me know! While we will never release user backorder information we are happy to explain our processes and provide any and all answers we can to ensure you feel comfortable placing backorders on our platform. The integrity of our platform our highest priority. Feel free to direct message us, or contact us through our website with any outstanding questions!

This sounds like a good start.

You can relieve 99% of worries, if you email people how every backorder stands 1 minute before the drop, rather than 2 hours after the drop, which makes you look like you are manually checking whether you'd rather have the caught domain or the BO fee, or which domains with a single standard backorder could fetch a lot if there were at auction (when they shouldn't of course).

There is a conflict of interest, since your partners are also chasing these domains, and it would be great if you can be fully transparent.

•••
This sounds like a good start.

You can relieve 99% of worries, if you email people how every backorder stands 1 minute before the drop, rather than 2 hours after the drop, which makes you look like you are manually checking whether you'd rather have the caught domain or the BO fee, or which domains with a single standard backorder could fetch a lot if there were at auction (when they shouldn't of course).

There is a conflict of interest, since your partners are also chasing these domains, and it would be great if you can be fully transparent.

We do our best to be as transparent with the Discount club and the priority structure and are always evaluating ways to increase the awareness with the program.

So, to start, this is our priority structure for backorders.

1. Regular place backorders always take priority to all other backorder.
a. If only one Regular price backorder is placed with DropCatch, the domain name is awarded to the user who placed the backorder.
b. If two or more Regular backorders are placed on a domain name the domain name goes to auction.
2. When no Regular price backorders exist and a bulk partner backorder is placed, the domain name is awarded to the bulk partner.
3. When NO Regular prices backorders are placed AND no bulk partner backorders are placed the domain name is awarded to the highest bid in the Discount Club.

For further explanation has to how discount club is awarded check out our terms and conditions or our blog!

I will pass along your concern regarding the timing of notification emails on backorders in our system. We are always attempting to optimize our system, so again, your feedback is appreciated. Typically as soon as you are awarded a domain name it drops into your cart within your account (which occurs before we send out the award emails)

Let me know if I can answer any further questions for you!

•••
We do our best to be as transparent with the Discount club and the priority structure and are always evaluating ways to increase the awareness with the program.

So, to start, this is our priority structure for backorders.

1. Regular place backorders always take priority to all other backorder.
a. If only one Regular price backorder is placed with DropCatch, the domain name is awarded to the user who placed the backorder.
b. If two or more Regular backorders are placed on a domain name the domain name goes to auction.
2. When no Regular price backorders exist and a bulk partner backorder is placed, the domain name is awarded to the bulk partner.
3. When NO Regular prices backorders are placed AND no bulk partner backorders are placed the domain name is awarded to the highest bid in the Discount Club.

For further explanation has to how discount club is awarded check out our terms and conditions or our blog!

I will pass along your concern regarding the timing of notification emails on backorders in our system. We are always attempting to optimize our system, so again, your feedback is appreciated. Typically as soon as you are awarded a domain name it drops into your cart within your account (which occurs before we send out the award emails)

Let me know if I can answer any further questions for you!

Thank you, the rules are pretty straightforward and most people are aware how they work.

The issue here is not the rules, but whether they are followed properly by Dropcatch, as there is some conflict of interest , and no "regulating authority". I believe if you can let everyone know where they stand right from the start (any time before the drop, even 1 minute), people would be less hesitant to place backorders with you. As a tech person myself, I can't see why this cannot be done.

•••
So far all of my discount orders have been trumped by partner or regular backorders. Don't think the discount backorders work at all. I would like to see the success rate.

•••
Well, I can state of the hundreds of transactions The discount order system works if you don't choose a name that HD wants. I have won some, and lost some. I kick myself when I have been too cheap.

It's my fault if I only bid $8 and I accept personal responsibility for my decision, anyone else who bids on the discount system should also. We ride on the coattails of their extensive investment in this system.

•••
HD has millions of domain names so it makes sense that they would poach everything off the discount bidding system. They are volume buyers

•••
•••
•••
Do you have questions as to how the priority levels work on backorders through DropCatch, or are you looking for an update to that particular post?

In that post you wrote "I will pass along your concern regarding the timing of notification emails on backorders in our system".

So I am waiting for an update on this matter.

•••
my whole problem with dropcatch/hugedomains is how would I know they are not cherry picking the domains and just leave me the left over. I have being struggling with this and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. am I just supposed to believe them and that's it. there is absolutely no transparency with this company. I gave up on backordering with them. to me, they seem to cherry pick what they like and pass along the ones they are not interested in.

•••
my whole problem with dropcatch/hugedomains is how would I know they are not cherry picking the domains and just leave me the left over. I have being struggling with this and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. am I just supposed to believe them and that's it. there is absolutely no transparency with this company. I gave up on backordering with them. to me, they seem to cherry pick what they like and pass along the ones they are not interested in.

Actually there's an easy way to find out. Select premium domains about to drop and backorder them. Both individually and in conjunction with other investors (i.e. State publicly or semi-privately in a closed group) that you're backordering so and so domain and if anyone else is also backordering that domain, to mention in the same group. Once done, you can verify based on the backorder result. Repeat this for several days and you can figure it out!

Ps. I've never had a regular backorder handed over to "partner". I usually backorder the names at multiple backordering services and almost always, one of them catches the domain. To my knowledge, I've *never* had a regular backorder being "missed".

Last edited:
•••
Select premium domains about to drop and backorder them. Both individually and in conjunction with other investors (i.e. State publicly or semi-privately in a closed group) that you're backordering so and so domain and if anyone else is also backordering that domain, to mention in the same group.

You meant regular $59 backorders? The method would also help to veirfy that this -

When NO Regular prices backorders are placed AND no bulk partner backorders are placed the domain name is awarded to the highest bid in the Discount Club.

indeed works "as expected". For example, if different parties did place a discount club backorder on the same domain that definitely does not worth $59 fee (or even has zero value) - the testing group should expect that at least in some cases a participating member will get the domain, which would confirm that there are no manual checks (should we award the domain to a customer or to "partner"?) after the drop... and that no automated rules are set such as "two or more discounted backorders placed --> do not fullfill any, give it to "partner" instead".

Should a service provider like DropCatch be trusted? By default, yes. Extra statistical analysis however cannot harm. It is likely that a number of such private tests already occured, with the results being now known to members who participated.

Last edited:
•••
You meant regular $59 backorders? The method would also help to veirfy that this -
Yes, I meant the regular $59 backorder.
indeed works "as expected". For example, if different parties did place a discount club backorder on the same domain that definitely does not worth $59 fee (or even has zero value) - the testing group should expect that at least in some cases a participating member will get the domain, which would confirm that there are no manual checks (should we award the domain to a customer or to "partner"?) after the drop... and that no automated rules are set such as "two or more discounted backorders placed --> do not fullfill any, give it to "partner" instead".
I've won domains with the discount club as recently as last week (I won two domains). So the discount club also works as described.

Should a service provider like DropCatch be trusted? By default, yes. Extra statistical analysis however cannot harm. It is likely that a number of such private tests already occured, with the results being now known to members who participated.
Fully agree with this.

My comment was on the fact that how can one verify the "lost to partner" scenario as questioned by the commenter quoted by me

•••
the question here is not about Regular backorders. it is about discount domain club when "lost to partner". how would we know they are not cherry picking domains after domain get catched by dropcatch?.... honestly, I don't have that much trust in them unless if they are transparent about it which is not the case. should we just trust them like we trusted snapnames back in 2007/08/09, and in fact they turned out to be shill bidding to increase the profit. we as customers need to be vigilant with these companies, I know probably there is nothing to hold them accountable, that is their platform and they can do whatever they like with it I guess. I am just expressing my thoughts here. I am not really that happy with them and they seem to catch pretty much everything, there is not really much of a choice except to backorder with them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back