Dynadot

information Doubts About Domain Names Selling In Marketplaces Different From The Original Registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
For instance, if I want to sell a domain name registered at Godaddy in the NamePros marketplace using the offer/counter-offer method and someone decides to buy it.

1) I guess I should immediately remove this domain name from my registrar's own marketplace listing. Right ?

2) But how the buyer would pay me without the Paypal system ?
Would it be by depositing directly in my bank account in Brazil ( bank transfer ) -or- NamePros would receive the money on my behalf and then later on deposit in my bank account ?

3) How would I transfer my domain name to the buyer ?
Would he need to open an account at Godaddy so that that the transfer would be quicker ? Or should I be obliged to transfer the domain name to his own registrar account ( different from mine )? Would NamePros be involved in this process ?

4) Would the buyer have to pay also a registration fee to the registrar he has an account ?

5) Are there more or different steps in this process that I am missing ?

6) Is the buying / selling process in the NamePros marketplace a binding one ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For instance, if I want to sell a domain name registered at Godaddy in the NamePros marketplace using the offer/counter-offer method and someone decides to buy it.

1) I guess I should immediately remove this domain name from my registrar's own marketplace listing. Right ?

Would it be by depositing directly in my bank account in Brazil ( bank transfer ) -or- NamePros would receive the money on my behalf and then later on deposit in my bank account ?

3) How would I transfer my domain name to the buyer ?
Would he need to open an account at Godaddy so that that the transfer would be quicker ? Or should I be obliged to transfer the domain name to his own registrar account ( different from mine )? Would NamePros be involved in this process ?

4) Would the buyer have to pay also a registration fee to the registrar he has an account ?

5) Are there more or different steps in this process that I am missing ?

6) Is the buying / selling process in the NamePros marketplace a binding one ?
Hello,

Check NP's marketplace rules.
You'll find most of the answers there :)
1) Yes
2) On NP, you will have to find a payment platform that fits both the seller and the buyer. You could ask your buyer to pay you via PayPal. NP will not receive the money, it's not an escrow platform ;)
3) Agree with him, whether it's a push or a transfer. Also check with your current registrar if a transfer out is possible (Sometimes, it's not, e.g. : 60 days lock after domain creation)
4) If it's a push, most of the time : No. If he wants to transfer the name out, he will have to pay the transfer fee
6) It's binding. If you don't honor a sale, you will get a warning if the buyer/seller reports it in time and you don't want to proceed with the sale

Hope it helps,
Gube

•••
Thank you for your kind explanation, Gube. :happy:

•••
@Gube's response was very helpful. Just to add a few things:

As soon as you sell a domain at any marketplace, you need to remove it from all other marketplaces.

Would it be by depositing directly in my bank account in Brazil ( bank transfer )
There are hundreds of payment providers and ways to send others money, some methods cannot be used by everyone for different reasons (government restrictions, technical know-how, etc.).

Here is a small list of ways people send and/or receive money
  • Escrow.com
  • Sedo Escrow
  • Epik Escrow
  • PayPal
  • Bank transfer / wire or ACH
  • Venmo
  • Zelle App
  • Cash App
  • Apple Pay Cash / iMessage pay
  • Cryptocurrency like Bitcoin
  • Credit cards
  • Gift cards / Prepaid cards
  • Stripe
It all depends on whats best for you and the other party.

2) . . . NamePros would receive the money on my behalf and then later on deposit in my bank account ?
NamePros does not participate in the transfer of money. Making deals on NamePros is like making them in an email except NamePros is a lot better and more secure than email transactions, but it's still wise to use an escrow company to complete the deal.

Hope that helps,

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back