Dynadot

poll Double hyphen ruling search results!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you repell hyphenated names?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes. Absolutely! It's terrible

votes
    50.0%
  • No. I buy it!

votes
    0.0%
  • Occasionally. It depends on the name. I buy it sometimes

votes
    50.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I just happened to Google "Screen recorder for Mac Free" and struck upon this website

Screencast-o-matic(dot)com

A double hyphenated name ruling the top search result!
Alternatively, I have seen some of my domainer friends occasionally selling a hyphenated name for low xxxx like $2,499 kind of pricing.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just happened to Google "Screen recorder for Mac Free" and struck upon this website

Screencast-o-matic(dot)com

A double hyphenated name ruling the top search result!
Alternatively, I have seen some of my domainer friends occasionally selling a hyphenated name for low xxxx like $2,499 kind of pricing.

That double hyphenated domain name has nothing to do to with being on top of search results. Its the result of the content, strong backlinks and SEO.
Edit: As I searched the same query, they are at 36 number in search results and not on top. You might have seen an Adwords ad on top of search results.

Last edited:
•••
They show up #1 for "screencast". But they do run PPC ads, too. You may have seen a PPC ad like Wali said.

To answer your question, no, I stay away from hyphenated domains.
They are a big mistake from a marketing standpoint. They fail all marketing tests (billboard test, radio test, etc), IMHO. Many end-users, like bloggers, still use them because, if they REALLY want a 2+ word name and it is not available, they will reg the hyphenated version. But to me that's a major mistake. And as a web user, I HATE having to remember and even type them.

There might be a case where I would reg one, but I cannot think of that case right now because I loathe hyphenated domains that much.

I would not even reg it if my business name was [word]-o-matic. But then again, I would never use "-o-matic" in a business name let alone a domain name. If I were selling a service where "-o-matic" would fit the name, I would replace "-o-matic" with "bot" or "robot" instead or prefix the name with "auto", if appropriate.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back