Dynadot

information Do's & Dont's of Securing a Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
There is a recent article in GeekReply that breaks away from the many "Mainstream" articles generally found with related information. I have posted the most controversial break from the mainstream opinion below. You can read the entire article at GeekReply.

Do's and Don’ts of Securing a Domain Name

dos-and-donts-1000x600.png

"Don’t Restrict Your Self to “.Com’ Extension Only

There is no doubt that ‘.com” domain extension is one of the most popular top-level domain extensions used by millions of people across the globe. Nevertheless, it is not the right choice for every website always.

For example, if you want to promote your business in a particular region, “.com” extension will not work as good a location-specific domain can. Let’s say you are running a restaurant in London, ‘.restaurant’ or ‘.london’ can be a better option for you.

Do Consider Purchasing More than One Extension

Let’s continue with the restaurant example. If the main site is registered with .london extension, you can also buy some domain names with different extensions. For example, you can register a .restaurant extension and redirect its traffic to your main web page.

You can also think of domain names such as .coffee, .pizza, .beer. to highlight your food specialties.

You may register different domain extensions and redirect them to your main site. It will help you reach to a larger audience and receive more visitors to your site."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Terrible advice. Lol at buying a .pizza, . restaurant and .London to redirect traffic.

Last edited:
•••
Terrible advice. Lol at buying a .pizza, . restaurant and .London to redirect traffic.

For redirecting traffic, yes. Terrible advice. But altogether, why not.

•••
For example, if you want to promote your business in a particular region, “.com” extension will not work as good a location-specific domain can. Let’s say you are running a restaurant in London, ‘.restaurant’ or ‘.london’ can be a better option for you.

If you have businesses in Canada you should secure the .ca and in the UK .co.uk etc etc

The article says to promote your particular region and that would be with a ccTLD not a gTLD

Extensions like .pizza would be on my list only once I secured a .com and my ccTLD.
I know in Canada most local businesses including BestBuy, Amazon etc all use .ca over .com.
Very rare now to see what apple is still doing which is forwarding the .ca to www.apple.com/ca

Last edited:
•••
If you have businesses in Canada you should secure the .ca and in the UK .co.uk etc etc

The article says to promote your particular region and that would be with a ccTLD not a gTLD

Extensions like .pizza would be on my list only once I secured a .com and my ccTLD.
I know in Canada most local businesses including BestBUy, Amazon etc all use .ca over .com.
Very rare now to see what apple is still doing which is forwarding the .ca to www.apple.com/ca
I get your point and agree. Although, the author used .London as an example and that is not a ccTld. There are many New Gtld's that are geo specific.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back