Dynadot

discuss Domain Opportunities Created by Covid19

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Most everyone knows Covid19 has created all sorts of virtual and online opportunities, but did anyone ever think that domain/names for the restaurant industry may be a future opportunity starting six months to a year from now? With as many as 25% or 250,000 closing permanently, there will come a day these eateries will make a comeback and need domains. Everyone also knows how volatile the restaurant industry is normally, but Covid19 has only added to the volatility.

Prior to Covid19 i had targeted two industries to focus on, the real estate market and the restaurant industry. Currently I'm pretty focused on the real estate industry, but beginning early in 2021 I'm looking to develop a domain I purchased today; Restaurant(.)Domains. I already own about 25 restaurant domains, but I plan on launching "Restaurant Domains" after I've accumulated at least 100 names.

Anyone else see other domain markets emerging due to Covid19? What do you think of the restaurant and food services industry? Do you have any restaurant or eatery domains? Thanks and Ho! Ho! Ho!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The world is artificially contrived to be at home and glued to screens even more than before! (who thought that was possible?)

Naturally this means more action for domains.

The need to bridge commerce through the web is increasingly more important each day.

I feel timeless .coms can thrive in all sectors and premiums ought to be considered safe haven investments.

Many new opportunities are born this decade.
People need top level real estate for optimal world visibility.

Businesses must adapt and will need to implement impeccable presences online in order to thrive in the technocracy.

Last edited:
•••
The world is artificially contrived to be at home and glued to screens even more than before! (who thought that was possible?)

Naturally this means more action for domains.

The need to bridge commerce through the web is increasingly more important each day.

I feel timeless .coms can thrive in all sectors and premiums ought to be considered safe haven investments.

Many new opportunities are born this decade.
People need top level real estate for optimal world visibility.

Businesses must adapt and will need to implement impeccable presences online in order to thrive in the technocracy.
Thus zoom critics, teachers and speakers will flourish. It's interesting, my Kiwanis group has speakers zooming into our meeting's from all over the world. Before Covid all we had were local speakers.

Thanks for sharing(y)

•••
I don't feel the restaurant industry is a great target for domains. I suspect that only the major chains have any real interest in aftermarket names.

If I were to invest in restaurant or food industry names, I'd want to make sure their focus is toward online solutions and business ideas rather than names for brick and mortar businesses.

•••
I don't feel the restaurant industry is a great target for domains. I suspect that only the major chains have any real interest in aftermarket names.

If I were to invest in restaurant or food industry names, I'd want to make sure their focus is toward online solutions and business ideas rather than names for brick and mortar businesses.
I don't disagree...that's why online websites, menus and critics are part of an overall strategy. Opportunities abound!

•••
I own a couple but that's not to say I won't takeaway a few more. I have:

Cheweroo .com

Chhips .com

Order Table 4......

•••
Redd....now look what you've done:xf.rolleyes: Made me reg;

ChewChef .com
CatchandChew.com

and to think....it was Food.Tax that drove me to:xf.eek:

•••
I forgot...I also have...

ItTasty .com
It-Tasty .com
I-Love-Pasta .com
Pastaroo .com
VeggieBeanBurger .com
Veggd .com

•••
YES, I suspect that only the major chains have any real interest in domain names market
  • Generally, a small restaurant does not need a domain name
  • BUT It may be different in different countries,I guess

•••
YES, I suspect that only the major chains have any real interest in domain names market
  • Generally, a small restaurant does not need a domain name
  • BUT It may be different in different countries,I guess
I happen to live in America, and literally every restaurant in the US has a domain. As a business guy all my life, one of the very first things I would think about is a great name/domain for my restaurant.

I live in a city with 450,000 people and there are well over a thousand restaurants in my city.....not one without a domain.

Last edited:
•••
I happen to live in America, and literally every restaurant in the US has a domain. As a business guy all my life, one of the very first things I would think about is a great name/domain for my restaurant.

I live in a city with 450,000 people and there are well over a thousand restaurants in my city.....not one without a domain.
Just remember that most of them are hand registering names. Aftermarket domains aren't typically a high priority for local restaurants. As a business guy, you know that they rely mostly on word of mouth and foot traffic

Last edited:
•••
Just remember that most of them are hand registering names. Aftermarket domains aren't typically a high priority for local restaurants. As a business guy, you know that they rely mostly on word of mouth and foot traffic

You totally miss my point....all domains are "hand registered" at one point. However, not everyone is as talented as you or me for that matter. I've named dozens of businesses in my life, and now that I've learned about the domain industry, I'm as capable of coming up with a good name for a restaurant as anyone I know. I'm sure you wouldn't hire me to come up with a name for your restaurant knowing your agenda, and that would be your loss:xf.frown:

•••
You totally miss my point....all domains are "hand registered" at one point. However, not everyone is as talented as you or me for that matter. I've named dozens of businesses in my life, and now that I've learned about the domain industry, I'm as capable of coming up with a good name for a restaurant as anyone I know. I'm sure you wouldn't hire me to come up with a name for your restaurant knowing your agenda, and that would be your loss:xf.frown:
I'm not questioning your naming skills. Just saying that local restaurants are usually looking to spend the bare minimum on a domain name. They wouldn't pay anyone to name the restaurant, and if their chosen name is taken, they usually just add the name of the city or type of food to the end and hand register that as their name.

They would also be just as likely (if not more) to use a country code domain rather than a .com.

Basically what I'm saying is most local restaurants will do whatever it takes to not pay more than a few bucks for a name. Because while web presence is important to them, a premium domain name is not. Their brand doesn't matter on a global scale, only on a local one.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not questioning your naming skills. Just saying that local restaurants are usually looking to spend the bare minimum on a domain name. They wouldn't pay anyone to name the restaurant, and if their chosen name is taken, they usually just add the name of the city or type of food to the end and hand register that as their name.

They would also be just as likely (if not more) to use a country code domain rather than a .com.

Basically what I'm saying is most local restaurants will do whatever it takes to not pay more than a few bucks for a name. Because while web presence is important to them, a premium domain name is not. Their brand doesn't matter on a global scale, only on a local one.
I'm glad you know what budding restaurant entrepreneurs want, and what they're willing to pay for it:xf.rolleyes: It takes a lot of capital to start a new restaurant here in the US....$50,000 to $75,000.

Of course you know better, so I defer to your superior logic, intellect and common sense:xf.wink:

•••
I forgot...I also have...

ItTasty .com
It-Tasty .com
I-Love-Pasta .com
Pastaroo .com
VeggieBeanBurger .com
Veggd .com
Hey Redd....thanks for sharing. Check your mail box later....i'm sending you a message about Restaurant(.)Domains.....ever eaten Dover sole? It's a specialty at Down the Catch:xf.smile: prepared by their chew chef:xf.wink:

•••
I'm glad you know what budding restaurant entrepreneurs want, and what they're willing to pay for it:xf.rolleyes: It takes a lot of capital to start a new restaurant here in the US....$50,000 to $75,000.

Of course you know better, so I defer to your superior logic, intellect and common sense:xf.wink:
I recommend doing your own research, and if your findings tell you different then I'd be happy to learn from them.

Good luck, and merry Christmas!

•••

WOW,nice to talk to you
  • Are the restaurants all online?Do they use the website to sell meals?

•••
WOW,nice to talk to you
  • Are the restaurants all online?Do they use the website to sell meals?
Yes...the restaurants are all online. Here are six restaurants within walking distance of my home to give you an idea of what their online presence looks like;

HotTuna(.)com
BoBosFineChicken(.)com
BayLocalVB(.)com
ZerosSub(.)com
YNotitalian(.)com
ChicksOysterBar.com

Due to Covid19 many of these restaurants have curbside pickup and outdoor dining. So far only two restaurants close to me have closed, but their websites are still live.

Most sites have their menus online, and they post daily specials. This is why I'm partnering with another NP member who will be overseeing development of restaurant sites in addition to just selling domains.

This is also why I'm saying there will be a need for over 250,000 Restaurant(.)domains in the next 2 to 4 years.

Good Luck to you Du6262(y)

•••
Yes...the restaurants are all online. Here are six restaurants within walking distance of my home to give you an idea of what their online presence looks like;

HotTuna(.)com
BoBosFineChicken(.)com
BayLocalVB(.)com
ZerosSub(.)com
YNotitalian(.)com
ChicksOysterBar.com

Due to Covid19 many of these restaurants have curbside pickup and outdoor dining. So far only two restaurants close to me have closed, but their websites are still live.

Most sites have their menus online, and they post daily specials. This is why I'm partnering with another NP member who will be overseeing development of restaurant sites in addition to just selling domains.

This is also why I'm saying there will be a need for over 250,000 Restaurant(.)domains in the next 2 to 4 years.

Good Luck to you Du6262(y)

thank you very much
thanks for your reply

• Why not order from an APP instead of a web page

•••
Here are six restaurants within walking distance of my home to give you an idea of what their online presence looks like;

HotTuna(.)com
BoBosFineChicken(.)com
BayLocalVB(.)com
ZerosSub(.)com
YNotitalian(.)com
ChicksOysterBar.com
This list is a great example of what I'm talking about. All but one name was clearly a hand reg by the restaurants.

HotTuna may have been an affordable aftermarket purchase, but depending on the age of the place, that might also have been hand regged by the restaurant.

•••
This list is a great example of what I'm talking about. All but one name was clearly a hand reg by the restaurants.

HotTuna may have been an affordable aftermarket purchase, but depending on the age of the place, that might also have been hand regged by the restaurant.
This went over you head too. I was responding to a member who questioned whether or not restaurants need or even have an online presence. He doesn't say where he's from, but he's obviously not from the US or Canada. That said however, i do respect his question and answered it to the best of my knowledge and experience.

Joe...most business people don't have a clue about the "after market" that you rely on to buy and sell your domains. I personally know the owners and founders of Hot Tuna, and I know for a fact they never knew the domain "after market" existed when they registered their domain.

Finally, this thread is titled, "Domain Opportunities Created by Covid19". There's nothing for you to see here Joe unless you can contribute to "opportunities"created by Covid19.

•••
This went over you head too. I was responding to a member who questioned whether or not restaurants need or even have an online presence. He doesn't say where he's from, but he's obviously not from the US or Canada. That said however, i do respect his question and answered it to the best of my knowledge and experience.

Joe...most business people don't have a clue about the "after market" that you rely on to buy and sell your domains. I personally know the owners and founders of Hot Tuna, and I know for a fact they never knew the domain "after market" existed when they registered their domain.

Finally, this thread is titled, "Domain Opportunities Created by Covid19". There's nothing for you to see here Joe unless you can contribute to "opportunities"created by Covid19.
No need to be defensive. It's a great topic and makes for a good discussion. You picked a random sampling of local restaurants near you, and it was interesting to see that they had all hand registered their names.

Discussing opportunities doesn't mean we should ignore potential barriers and challenges to those perceived opportunities. We're all here to broaden our knowledge. And you make a great point that many small business owners don't know about the domain aftermarket.

A couple industries that are worth buying names for because of COVID are education and healthcare. There has been a lot of investment in them in a short time, and both have been top of mind for people during the pandemic.

Remote learning in particular could see some big advancements in the coming years. Most North American school systems are so antiquated... I think the pandemic has been a wake-up call for them to realize that they need to become more flexible and able to provide more customized and adaptive learning experiences.

Last edited:
•••
No need to be defensive. It's a great topic and makes for a good discussion. You picked a random sampling of local restaurants near you, and it was interesting to see that they had all hand registered their names.

Discussing opportunities doesn't mean we should ignore potential barriers and challenges to those perceived opportunities. We're all here to broaden our knowledge. And you make a great point that many small business owners don't know about the domain aftermarket.

A couple industries that are worth buying names for because of COVID are education and healthcare. There has been a lot of investment in them in a short time, and both have been top of mind for people during the pandemic.

Remote learning in particular could see some big advancements in the coming years. Most North American school systems are so antiquated... I think the pandemic has been a wake-up call for them to realize that they need to become more flexible and able to provide more customized and adaptive learning experiences.

While I was only pointing out there will be a need for new restaurant domains once the pandemic dust settles, i'm aware COVID has created opportunities for domains in education and healthcare.

I see "business owners not knowing about the domain aftermarket" as a huge opportunity for my "outbound marketing strategy" whether it be for the food/restaurant industry, education or healthcare.

Take for example; CurbsidesidePharmacy(.)com for healthcare and DrivethruKitchen(.)com for Restaurant/food. Domains like these only work because of COVID.

•••
While I was only pointing out there will be a need for new restaurant domains once the pandemic dust settles, i'm aware COVID has created opportunities for domains in education and healthcare.

I see "business owners not knowing about the domain aftermarket" as a huge opportunity for my "outbound marketing strategy" whether it be for the food/restaurant industry, education or healthcare.

Take for example; CurbsidesidePharmacy(.)com for healthcare and DrivethruKitchen(.)com for Restaurant/food. Domains like these only work because of COVID.
CurbsidePharmacy is a great name! When did you register that? I feel like it would have had to be early on in the pandemic.

I bought GuerrillaHealth(com) as a closeout early this year, thinking it would be a cool name for a business offering alternative healthcare options. I was pleasantly surprised when it sold a couple months ago! No idea who the buyer was, or what they plan to do with it, but I like to think the pandemic was an influence.

The idea of educating end users about the domain aftermarket is a two-edged sword in my mind. I think it's great for them to be aware of its existence, and to dispel any concerns about buying names this way... However, the flipside is that it will mean that much more competition for investment-worthy names as more and more end users discover auctions and closeout domains.

@Bob Hawkes recently wrote a great article about this, and the data does seem to suggest that more and more end users are competing in auctions. If the trend continues, it could eventually spell the end of the domaining industry as we know it.

Last edited:
•••
Six for six hand regs if you consider that the VB restaurant uses hottunavb dot com not Jorma Kaukonen's hottuna dot com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back