sales Don't Shoot for the moon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Rob Monster of Epik recently started an interesting discussion over at NamePros about “shooting the moon” when selling your domains. Basically the premise was that you don’t know how much the buyer would be willing to pay, so you might as well ask for an astronomical number and see what happens.

After all, you can’t get a high price if you don’t ask… right? Plus you can always offer a lease as a cheaper alternative, or you can walk your price back down.

For 99.99% of you this is terrible advice. Why?

Read more at Namebio

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great advice and a very good read

I am shooting for the moon on a very small percentage of my names (mainly the Defi ones) the rest I am very realistic, if a reasonable offer comes in then I am happy to move it on and not be sentimental about it.

You have to try and keep moving forwards and to do that in this industry you need sales to pay for those renewals and to keep adding the right inventory (easier said than done!)

•••
I’m shooting for the moon on most of them.

Rob’s post provided best email outline, i saw
i recommend all copy, cuz i had a hard time writing email to any interested buying my DN.

Dont take “shoot moon” literally, pick ur price

He went above and beyond, by proved email outline used his past successful transactions,
(you can use your own prices, not “moon” price

Tell NameBio CEO to focus fixing reporting unconfirmed sales (higher price = more work)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Yep, shoot the moon on all of it!! Even the 20 character names! Who else knows the value of your domain better than you??

•••

Tell NameBio CEO to focus fixing reporting unconfirmed sales (higher price = more work)

Samer
I read a lot of your posts and they are very positive regarding Rob and you seem quite defensive when it comes to him, but you why you feel the need to post sly digs about someone who provides a constructive alternative to his suggestion is beyond me.....

•••
I read a lot of your posts and they are very positive regarding Rob and you seem quite defensive when it comes to him, but you why you feel the need to post sly digs about someone who provides a constructive alternative to his suggestion is beyond me.....

My biggest issue in this industry is coming up with email outline, Rob provided one, free.
a dam good one, used in past successful sales

Out of all the threads Rob made, moon thread connected me the most. Check it out and read you cant come up with a better reply email, especially if it’s other party showed interest.

Last edited:
•••
thank you

all this misleading information
masked as "I only want to help you, guys" ...

and thank you for opening a new thread, of course, too,

•••

Rob’s post provided best email outline, i saw
i recommend all copy, cuz i had a hard time writing email to any interested buying my DN.

Dont take “shoot moon” literally, pick ur price

He went above and beyond, by proved email outline for his past successful transactions,
(you can use your own prices, not “moon” price

Samer

I wish you all the luck to shoot to the moon, Samer.
It's not impossible you may hit it

they did it in `69
so why wouldn't you?

•••
my biggest issue in this industry is coming up with email outline, Rob provided1 free.
a damn good one
respectfully disagree
You respectfully disagree with what? This is not about a free email outline (there are other threads on Namepros regarding this) this is about your blinkered approach when it comes to discussing alternatives to his thinking....

It might of connected with you, but disregarding everybody elses advice and experience and blindly following one person is a dangerous game. You should try and keep an open mind.....

•••
Some of the best advice I have seen, period.
"list all of your domains for sale on Afternic and Sedo, price most of them and make it a reasonable number, and opt them into the MLS/DLS so they get into the registration path. If you do that you’ll be ahead of most domain investors, and well on your way to growing your portfolio."

•••
Some of the best advice I have seen, period.
"list all of your domains for sale on Afternic and Sedo, price most of them and make it a reasonable number, and opt them into the MLS/DLS so they get into the registration path. If you do that you’ll be ahead of most domain investors, and well on your way to growing your portfolio."
What does it mean by the "registration path"? Does this mean it shows up on other registrars sites when people search for the name and reg it on that site?

•••
I had rather said that I will "shoot the moon" as well as I will note his advice.

here are some name reported on his own namebio.

commercialsearch.com 30,000 USD 2019-11-05 Sedo
gambling-law-us.com 57,000 USD 2019-11-04 GoDaddy
recipe4living.com 40,500 USD 2019-10-25 GoDaddy
blog-city.com 30,500 USD 2019-10-17 GoDaddy

if the above name cant fit on "shoot the moon" then I must say he should remove this sales as it may be fake.

there is nothing wrong here for asking price at what you want to sell

•••
Everybody needs to remember that this is all a numbers game.

Rule #1 = When you combine all your sales vs all your costs, at the end of the year you need to be profitable.

Beyond that, a lot depends on the specific domains and your style.

With bigger portfolios you will definitely get more sales with lower prices .. guaranteed. But will those sales combine for more than the one "moonshot"? My guess is that some years yes .. and some years no!

The good/bad thing with Rob's perspective is that it's not the same scale as us. He views volume sales at the registrar level .. where indeed moonshots do happen. He's not BS'ing .. some people pay "astronomical" (beyond the moon) prices for questionable domains most wouldn't even bother to handreg.

But on the opposite side is that amount the moonshots .. are countless tens/hundreds of thousands ++ domains that don't get sold.

Epik might indeed see 1-2 $100k+ sales a month .. but if you pro-rate that to domainers with 100-1000 domains, it could take a decade or more before ever seeing one.

I think the best thing you can do is tier your portfolio .. do moonshots only with your top tier .. for the rest be reasonable and make sure you end the year with profit!

•••
the advice of somebody who lives domain name sales data
day in and day out

should be taken seriously

the advice of 3rd parties
not backed by any data
other than
"I've done it frequently"

well .. you guess it

and listen:
who of these 2 guys is selling stuff to you?

•••
I had rather said that I will "shoot the moon" as well as I will note his advice.

if the above name cant fit on "shoot the moon" then I must say he should remove this sales as it may be fake.

Nobody shot the moon there, they were expired auctions purchased for back link profile, no one sold them by shooting the moon.

•••
Nobody shot the moon there, they were expired auctions purchased for back link profile, no one sold them by shooting the moon.
I know they were expired name but its show that people still give lots of money for the name like this then why not just try it our-self maybe not for whole portfolio but for the better one.

•••
What does it mean by the "registration path"? Does this mean it shows up on other registrars sites when people search for the name and reg it on that site?

When you list at Afternic for instance, your names (well for com,net,org) will show in the registrar path at GoDaddy.

So anyone doing a search will see your name, with the price you picked.

•••
I know they were expired name but its show that people still give lots of money for the name like this then why not just try it our-self maybe not for whole portfolio but for the better one.

But it's not shooting the moon, those names would not have sold for that if you or I owned them, hell members here will tell you they won't buy from another domainer but will pay GoDaddy or NameJet on an expired auction. Two different methods.

•••
Let Epik do negotiation on your behalf when an offer comes. Then it may work. Shooting the Moon is usually not possible because we are usually dealing with flippers, and don't know it.

Domainers sell to flippers, flippers sell to endusers. When endusers don't pay, flippers don't pay either and you may be surprised why a very low 200 USD was not paid for this great domain when there is 5 figure potential.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

it's good to shoot for the moon

if.... you have the type of domain names that will fuel the launch

and sure, you can copy an email template, but you can't copy the names that got sold using it.

so, if the name doesn't stand-up, then the campaign will fail.

:)

imo...

•••
in order to shoot to the moon
you need a rocket and a space ship

you don't want to use a wingsuit

you need to know your buyer
his needs
why he will gain
and how much
when he/she/they will own that name

you need to know the numbers better than them

only then quote an accordingly high number

and learn negotiation skills, first

Last edited:
•••
please stop shooting to the moon!

here is what you have done to the moon already:

enough is enough!

upload_2019-11-18_21-13-21.png

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-8624773-flying-over-moon-surface-view-spaceship-close

•••
This made my day @Michael :-D

For most of you, if you shoot for the moon you’re going to end up missing and floating around in space until you suffocate.

Last edited:
•••

One guy won a lottery. He spent $100 and won 100 million! It is an amazing investment. Let's all go buy lottery tickets.

The GD .US sale might have been due to the website that was on it. The dash one might be too. The numbered one? Possible. Check it. And why you thought commercialsearch is a mediocre name??

•••
One of the sanest articles on domaining I have read in ages. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked for future reference!

•••
Back