NameSilo

opinion Don't Invest In 4L.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ab Peter

Top Member
Impact
How times change, I came across this blog post, posted around Dec 2009 or Jan 2010, Still trying to get the exact date, and was perplexed how times changed, the writer ( A domain investment expert ) was seriously advising against investing in 4L.coms especially 4L.com chips.
So many vital information still from this article, how ever the "Seemingly missed" is the focus of this article and that goes a long way in teaching present days investors major lessons in domain investment,market unpredictability and personal guts followability. What do you think, Can this be true of 4Ls especially the chips, considering very few comparatively that are being developed into a viable sites?. O_o

3. Avoid 4 Letter Dot Coms, 5 Letter Dot Coms etc.

At a certain point, 4 letter dot coms were available for registration and at the beginning, a lot of people started to register domains live mego.com, tevo.com and so on. In other words, domains which were extremely easily pronounceable. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of domains like those even if the fact that they are easily pronounceable does give them at least some inherent value, nobody can deny that.
After a certain point, most of the 4 letter dot coms which are actually worth it have been registered but there were a lot of people who wanted in on the action. Since the good domains were all taken, they started to register the remaining 4 letter dot coms, domains which are anything but pronounceable. Seriously, try it yourself: pronounce FYQV.com, now say it ten times and faster. Needless to say, as soon as renewal dates got closer and closer, people who owned awful 4 letter dot coms started becoming desperate. Some of the sold them in bulk for like a dollar or two per domain, some have simply let them expire and the same principle is valid when it comes to five letter domains.
http://www.dailyblogtips.com/want-to-invest-in-domains-here-are-the-7-golden-rules/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The author is probably kicking himself right now. He wrote that article when LLLL .com's were available to hand-reg. This domain market is very unpredictable, but the ones that take calculated risks come out at the top.

•••
I think some people post stuff to persuade people not to do something so they can cash in on it. Even when I was day 1 of domain searching, I knew 3-4 letter or number domains were valuable.

•••
yep.. that's domaining :)
and life!

you create your future with your present!

•••
I agree with ezcoms.... couple of years back 3L.com were easily available.. but now the market so saturated that ppl will pay anything to get them...

•••
The author is probably kicking himself right now. He wrote that article when LLLL .com's were available to hand-reg. This domain market is very unpredictable, but the ones that take calculated risks come out at the top.

Imagine having the insight to the next line of domains that will take such path?.
Can this ever be true of 5L?

•••
I agree with ezcoms.... couple of years back 3L.com were easily available.. but now the market so saturated that ppl will pay anything to get them...

3L.com were not easily available a couple years ago (2014), they have been sold out for over a decade. The wholesale prices have risen and fallen and now risen again to new levels.

•••
3L.com were not easily available a couple years ago (2014), they have been sold out for over a decade. The wholesale prices have risen and fallen and now risen again to new levels.

I agree.... Now the Prices have risen to such a high that that ppl have to think 10 times before buying it..

•••
I agree.... Now the Prices have risen to such a high that that ppl have to think 10 times before buying it..

lol, Not only that alone, the 3Ls are now becoming an ostentatious commodities, they are being kept like trophies, so, no one needs bother whether some are developed or not, that will not necessarily affect the worth in the long run. It has come to stay.

•••
If someone held random llll.com since 2006, with them still costing around 300-400 now it definitely was not super investment. Return of 15-20% annual factoring in renewals.

The super profits are made by those who bought 1-3 years ago.

•••
If someone held random llll.com since 2006, with them still costing around 300-400 now it definitely was not super investment. Return of 15-20% annual factoring in renewals.

The super profits are made by those who bought 1-3 years ago.

Yea I hand registered 4l in 2003
And I bought premium Chinese (was not aware about chinese) in 2003 for around 1800$

After 13 years . Someone offers me 300$ for the first !! And 2000 $ for the second !!

Of course very poor investment for me !!

Last edited:
•••

Yeah, three letter dot com's were not easy to come by when I got into this game 10 years ago.

Even then you would have been hard pressed to buy any LLL.com's for under $2,000-$3,000.

•••
So he was a domain expert then :). Thanks for Sharing

•••
efkh.com 100 USD 2016-01-19 Flippa
uzsu.com 200 USD 2016-03-09 Flippa
hbxi.com 200 USD 2016-03-08 Flippa
eogy.com 200 USD 2016-01-25 Flippa
cxeo.com 210 USD 2016-03-09 Flippa
qbrv.com 222 USD 2016-03-08 Flippa
vkcp.com 225 USD 2016-02-07 Flippa
eyyl.com 240 USD 2016-02-06 Flippa

Looks like cheap 4L's are to be had at Flippa... if you are quick enough to beat out others looking there as well.

Domains will only continue up in price. For as much commerce as there is in the world, there are a lot of businesses that have no clue about how to even exist online.

Mid-level businesses still have a lot of room to grown, and so do small businesses.

Unless there is a drastic change in the way we access webpages, domains will be en vogue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back