IT.COM

discuss Domains with high PR

NameSilo
Watch

BarryR

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

Mostly every day I am following a list of dropped domains, and what catches my eye is that the domains with a high PR (pagerank) are immediately being registered again after they are dropped.
Most of the domains are ugly, hard to remember, so I am wondering why that is... why are these domains so highly demanded?

I have heard that PR isn't relevant at all these days. Whats your vision on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
My guess is it's developers looking to pick up high PR domains to develop, place into their network and link back to their main site. Gaining them a high PR backlink. Or perhaps, they use them to sell high PR backlinks.

•••
Yes Ali, I guess thats the case as well. But are they selling "air"?
Because from what I have heard, PR is nothing relevant these days.

•••
My guess is it's developers looking to pick up high PR domains to develop, place into their network and link back to their main site. Gaining them a high PR backlink. Or perhaps, they use them to sell high PR backlinks.

I agree with Ali there is a ton of value for PR when it comes to building a network of sites that can help you rank your main sites on Google SERPS. The only risk of course is that the PR these sites have disappear. I did it once before and that is exactly what happened.

- Will

•••
Yes Ali, I guess thats the case as well. But are they selling "air"?
Because from what I have heard, PR is nothing relevant these days.

I'm not sure if PR is not relevant or not these days. But from what I know about it - a high PR backlink (assuming all other metrics from that site are quality too) is considered a great "vouch" and can really provide some nice SERP boosts. But we're talking about established high PR sites like HuffPost, New York Times, Mashable - sites of that nature.

That being said, it's a really complicated process to develop a high quality site - just having a high PR domain linking to you, doesn't do anything - in fact, it will likely hurt you if it's just a domain.

So i'm not 100% sure why they are buying these domains. Aside from being able to say "i'll sell you 10 high PR backlinks for $5"...?

•••
So i'm not 100% sure why they are buying these domains.

How about building a site on it, one that matches the previous one's topic, and constantly gaining the G ranking advantage?

•••
I have a thread on NP where I am buying these https://www.namepros.com/threads/buying-high-pr-and-high-da-70-domains-websites.851180/ but the problem here is that majority is just offering crap domains.
People on NamePros dont understand the value of quality link profile. On the other side there are people that understand this but they keep a low profile I guess

BTW, public PR is not updated anymore, so people use other metrics such as DA (domain Authority) or TF/CF ration from Majestic to figure out the power of domain. But if you really do not understand what a good link is, you will probably be fooled by a faked metric.
It is easy to fake all these metrics but it is also easy to see if the numbers are legit or not.

•••
How about building a site on it, one that matches the previous one's topic, and constantly gaining the G ranking advantage?

Yup, I agree on that - but from what I know, that site will also be "judged" by the search engines based on a glorious amount of metrics, not just PR. So if it's a fresh site with fresh content - all of which has no real history, backlink profile, and all the other metrics which would take more than a paragraph to write about.... having only a high PR won't really do it much justice. In fact, what's the point of buying a domain with a high PR - if you'll just have to do the same work to make it an actual high pagerank worthy site?

•••
Yup, I agree on that - but from what I know, that site will also be "judged" by the search engines based on a glorious amount of metrics, not just PR. So if it's a fresh site with fresh content - all of which has no real history, backlink profile, and all the other metrics which would take more than a paragraph to write about.... having only a high PR won't really do it much justice. In fact, what's the point of buying a domain with a high PR - if you'll just have to do the same work to make it an actual high pagerank worthy site?
Google algorithm is very complicated "thing", but we all know that high quality links are THE most important things when it comes to ranking. And buying expired domains that have anchor profile optimized for keywords that you want to rank for....well, that purchase is a no brainer. Why spending months and thousands of dollars trying to build backlink profile that will maybe rank your site when you can buy it on auction for several hundreds or thousands (depending on auction and domain)?

Again, public PR is updated 2 years ago last time. This means that you need knowledgable person to look into backlink profile before you decide how much to pay for a certain domain. Also, I see many domainers selling "PR 7" or "PR6" domains that actually have fake PR, which was created before the last public PR update.

Getting fake PR was easy to do back in the days. You just needed to redirect (301) your domain to high PR domain (such as EDU or GOV site, or Mashable...) and in the next public PR update Google would assign high PR to your domain. Then these scammers pull down redirect and sell links for $5 on Fiverr on sites with fake PR.

Real sites with real PR and trust goes for hundreds and thousands.

•••
Hello Dear

- Web crawlers in light of a glorius measure of measurements not simply PR.
- So on the off chance that it's a new site with crisp substance all of which would take more than a passage to expound on.
- Having just measurements which would take more than a passage to wright about.
- Having just a high PR won't generally do it much equity.
- What is the purpose of purchasing space with a high PR

•••
i have one domains NNLN .com with PR 3 rank is this worth ?
it still showing PR 3 in different sites

•••
that have anchor profile optimized for keywords that you want to rank for....well, that purchase is a no brainer.

As long as its not been OVER optimized for those keywords ;). But as you said earlier, it all comes down to being able to tell good links from bad.

•••
As long as its not been OVER optimized for those keywords ;). But as you said earlier, it all comes down to being able to tell good links from bad.
Exactly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back