IT.COM

Domains turning premium

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Paperhand

Established Member
Impact
I had several examples of domains that were free for registration at regular fee, and when checking on them again they were still unregistered but to buy for a premium fee. for example Vienna.rent has been available for less than 100$ about half a year ago, and now it costs the premium of >1k. I noticed this for multiple domains and syllables that became desirable.

What is the authority that is behind this step and is it a somewhat new phenomenon?

Thanks again, this forum is a big help as always!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registrars trying to milk the users.

•••
Sure but is it done by the registrars - would be sort of an alliance or price-cartel? or it seems a bit more logical to me that the .rent owning agency is running an evolving premium list.

•••
Sure but is it done by the registrars - would be sort of an alliance or price-cartel? or it seems a bit more logical to me that the .rent owning agency is running an evolving premium list.
Indeed, the entity deciding about upgrading domains from standard to premium aren't the registrars but the registries (probably what you are referring to as the domain's owning agency).

The question is whether they can upgrade a domain while it's registered.
For the registrant, that'd be a + (increase of the domain's value) and a - (increase of domain's renewal fees).

Our esteemed @Bob Hawkes has commented on an article about this subject
https://domainnamewire.com/2022/07/...ge-the-pricing-tiers-of-your-premium-domains/

As I understand it, ICANN regulations prohibit upgrading a domain while registered, but nonetheless done.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back