Dynadot

Best platform for turning domain to website?

NameSilo
Watch

Matrix166

Established Member
Impact
Hi there. I'm new to domaining, but I've been running a WP-based cryptocurrency website for almost a year.

To start off domaining, I acquired two domains, that are currently parked. The other one, is a Finnish domain with .com TLD. The domain name itself is linked to traditional health services, that are sought out by elderly Finnish people. I see potential in this one.

So, my actual question. What is the best platform for turning the domain into actual website, with some content that I update from time to time, and of course there would be advertising for generating actual profit.

The WP plan with ads allowed is quite expensive, so I'd rule that one out.

What platforms are you using? I work as a developer, and learning a new platform or even coding a bit is not going to be a problem, but I'd like to save as much time and money in this case.

Also, if you feel like you don't have an answer for this question, I would love to have advice for the cryptocurrency website. It acts as a one-stop information storage for the coin, saving people from browsing multiple sites for scattered info.
I'm not allowed to post links yet, so PM me if you'd like to check the site out.
I'm motivated to keep the site running, but at the moment it does not generate any profit, and by the end of January I'm supposed to spend 130€ to keep it running for another year, and this plan does not have advertising available.

There are 10-50 daily unique visitors on the site, and total for one year is 4,5k unique visitors and 11k visits. The currency itself is quite small and unknown to most at the moment, but I do believe in it.

Should I close down the site, upgrade to WP with ads, sell the domain and backup the site, or should I do something else?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi there. I'm new to domaining, but I've been running a WP-based cryptocurrency website for almost a year...
Welcome to NamePros! :xf.smile:
So, my actual question. What is the best platform for turning the domain into actual website, with some content that I update from time to time, and of course there would be advertising for generating actual profit.
The WP plan with ads allowed is quite expensive, so I'd rule that one out.
What platforms are you using? I work as a developer, and learning a new platform or even coding a bit is not going to be a problem, but I'd like to save as much time and money in this case...
Why not a VPS with WP or Drupal on it? You can get a small, 512MB RAM 20SSD VPS for $10-15 per year, especially today, with Cyber Monday promos running! Installing and running WP, Drupal or whatever other CMS flavor you prefer is free :xf.grin:

Or you can go all out, install CakePHP and write your own CMS. In fact, there are a couple written using the CakePHP framework, with tutorials and all, for you to learn and tweak to your heart's content. I recommend CakePHP (there are others), because it's CakeBake add-on will actually code the base application for you, based on your DB schema. Once again, it's all free stuff to install and run :xf.grin:
Also, if you feel like you don't have an answer for this question, I would love to have advice for the cryptocurrency website. It acts as a one-stop information storage for the coin, saving people from browsing multiple sites for scattered info.
I'm not allowed to post links yet, so PM me if you'd like to check the site out.
Sure, PM me, please...
I'm motivated to keep the site running, but at the moment it does not generate any profit, and by the end of January I'm supposed to spend 130€ to keep it running for another year...
130€ per year, WTF...? :xf.eek::xf.eek:

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to NamePros! :xf.smile:

Why not a VPS with WP or Drupal on it? You can get a small, 512MB RAM 20SSD VPS for $10-15 per year, especially today, with Cyber Monday promos running! Installing and running WP, Drupal or whatever other CMS flavor you prefer is free :xf.grin:

Or you can go all out, install CakePHP and write your own CMS... there are a couple written using the CakePHP framework, with tutorials and all. Once again, it's all free stuff to install and run :xf.grin:

Sure, PM me, please...

130€ per year, WTF...? :xf.eek::xf.eek:

Thanks for such a warm welcoming! :)

As far as I know, the current plan I got with my hosting provider does not have ads allowed from WP side. I might be mistaken in that, or the hosting company is marketing these plans for completely non-IT-savvy people and leaving things out on purpose. I've not checked out the truth in this.
Also, in Finland there is 24% VAT added to hosting expenses, so that really makes a difference in the expenses.

I'm unfamiliar with Drupal, but I'd love to check it out!
I'll drop you a PM! :)

Last edited:
•••
As far as I know, the current plan I got with my hosting provider does not have ads allowed from WP side. I might be mistaken in that, or the hosting company is marketing these plans for completely non-IT-savvy people...
Forget shared hosting, dig a bit deeper, get your own VPS (recommend real KVM virtualization, not OpenVM container) with root access and take full control... install and run whatever you want :xf.grin:
Also, in Finland there is 24% VAT added to hosting expenses, so that really makes a difference in the expenses...
Even with VAT, this should run you to no more than 15% of what you're paying!
I'm unfamiliar with Drupal, but I'd love to check it out!
You'll find Drupal to be far superior to WP, with a bit of a higher learning curve. Make sure to check out Drush - Drupal's CLI, making it possible to automate everything :xf.grin::xf.grin:

And then there's Ansible to automate and run your VPS and Drupal, WP, whatever, for you... but let's leave that for another time... :xf.wink::xf.smile:

•••
Alright, thanks for the tips! I'll check out everything you said, and might indeed switch to Drupal.
Creating the cryptosite on WP was natural for me, as I was working as intern on advertising business office that also created websites with WP. The hosting company I chose was also used by my employer. I did too little research on prices and other options.

The 130€ was 50% off for the first (currently running) year, and that's exactly why I decided to ask for help and advice on how to proceed from here.

•••
I guess Wordpress platform is the best or Blogger.com that will help you to turn a domain into website in couple of minutes.

•••
I guess Wordpress platform is the best or Blogger.com that will help you to turn a domain into website in couple of minutes.
Thanks for the reply! Indeed, Wordpress is so easy and fast, but AFAIK the plan that allows advertising is quite expensive for developing a site with no guaranteed profit.

•••
Thanks for the reply! Indeed, Wordpress is so easy and fast, but AFAIK the plan that allows advertising is quite expensive for developing a site with no guaranteed profit.

No webhost should prevent you from putting ads on your own site - WP or not.

Are you hosting on WordPress.com?

•••
No webhost should prevent you from putting ads on your own site - WP or not.

Are you hosting on WordPress.com?

Alright, I might be mistaken here big time. On WP's own site, where there is a comparison table between the plans, the "Monetize your site" only includes Wordads. I've been thinking that the cheaper plans are excluded of all kinds of advertising.

The webhost itself is not preventing me from using ads, sorry if I made it sound like that. I'm using a Finnish, big hosting company, who provide Wordpress hosting. I took mine without installation service, I just picked a hosting plan from them, and then the actual Wordpress plan I was going to use.

•••
There is a huge difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org created sites. The .org is what is offered through a hosting company. The .com is limited and kind of like beginner friendly, similar to blogger or something, but includes paid upgrades. I created a WordPress course for beginners on one of my sites, and this is a key thing people mix up.

•••
There is a huge difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org created sites. The .org is what is offered through a hosting company. The .com is limited and kind of like beginner friendly, similar to blogger or something, but includes paid upgrades. I created a WordPress course for beginners on one of my sites, and this is a key thing people mix up.
Ah, I see. This was mostly just my lack of research and false assumptions. My account for Google Adsense is now pending, and I'll monetize the crypto site :)
Oh well, lesson learned here!

Anyways, I'm still up for suggestion for cheap and good (I know, you can't get good with cheap price) hosting solutions and services!

•••
check

wix.com

is shit but will serve you fast

•••
Ah, I see. This was mostly just my lack of research and false assumptions. My account for Google Adsense is now pending, and I'll monetize the crypto site :)
Oh well, lesson learned here!

Anyways, I'm still up for suggestion for cheap and good (I know, you can't get good with cheap price) hosting solutions and services!

I use TMDHosting (Affiliate link) cloud hosting and highly recommend them. I've been with them for years, and the support there is unmatched in my opinion. If you use coupon code RocketCourses you'll get an additional 7% off.

If you're looking for cheap Hosting Hostinger in my signature below is an option.

•••
WP is the easiest way. Tons of plugins, tutorials etc. You can literally launch a site in half an hour.

Of course wordpress.org, not .com, no one is restricting you from monetizing your site.

Reseller package at any reputable hosting would serve you great. Just read reviews about them to choose. But VPS of course is better. I heartly recommend managed hosting by Knownhost. They are really amazing, any ticket/chat response time is never more than 2 minutes. And you don't need to tweak the server and site with any cache scripts and plugins, actually they advice strongly against cache plugins because their server environment is amazingly fast.

If you know coding well, there are some no database engines for static sites which might be much better than WP or any other engine that uses database.

You don't need Drupal or Joomla if you don't plan to develop really big and complicated site. For most tasks, WP on a good server is more than enough.

•••
use a cheap normal hosting and install wordpress. Add anything you want including ads.

•••
Wordpress is the 800 pound gorilla which tops the charts for Open Source software, and make sure you use "wordpress super cache" (or similar) to help speed up your site.

("Common advice") Wordpress is not just for blogs, you can make almost any type of site.

``````````````````````````
Developer advice
MyBB - Free and Open Source Forum Software is the best free forum, highly intuitive, and ... MyBB is not just for a forum, you can make almost any type of site. (You can easily create custom PHP pages and restrict access to members logged into the forum)

define('IN_MYBB', 1);
require_once './global.php';
if($mybb->user['uid'])
{} else {
error_no_permission();
}

•••
Domain Name Wire recently provided detailed hands-on reviews and comparisons of a bunch of alternatives to WordPress.

Various commenters there also offer lots of ideas, advice and names of other platforms so this article with links to the reviews might be useful:

https://domainnamewire.com/2018/10/01/the-problem-with-wordpress/

Crypto prices are falling heavily this year so I would be very careful about spending too much money on a crypto related site, unless you are sure the one you are interested in has a future :cigar:

•••
Domain Name Wire recently provided detailed hands-on reviews and comparisons of a bunch of alternatives to WordPress.

Various commenters there also offer lots of ideas, advice and names of other platforms so this article with links to the reviews might be useful:

Crypto prices are falling heavily this year so I would be very careful about spending too much money on a crypto related site, unless you are sure the one you are interested in has a future :cigar:
Yeah, cryptobubble is once again punctured, but I have high hopes for the one crypto my site is about, as it's completely different, has strong foundation of supporters, and the technology behind it has been there for so many years. I'm not aware if I'm allowed to name the coin here, I gotta re-read the rules!

Thanks for the link though. Now that I solved the WP advertising mystery, I might stick to that after all.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back