IT.COM

Domaining as a hobby on resume?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ramlakhan chauhan

Account Closed
Impact
Hi everyone,

I'm very much interested in Domaining and it is truly my hobby. I aspire for a job in banking sector as an officer or manager . I was mulling over including Domaining/domain name investment as a hobby in my resume. Would it be beneficial?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any activity that shows that you can make money (legally) is a good thing to put down.

Welcome to this forum ;)

•••
Thank you @Doughmange I like your prompt response. :xf.smile:

•••
Im sure a lot of people dont know what domaining is.... unfortunately. So it would very pointless and kind of look like youre making up things.

•••
@Steven McEvoy I think now a Days everyone knows what a domain name is, specially if they deal with eveything which has some value. And if i put domain name investment in title they might get the idea of what it is. Anyway this point of view worth consideration. Thanks

•••
YES, but make sure to describe it as Domain Name Investing and not as Domaining!
And be prepared to answer questions about it when you have a job interview.

Welcome to the Club :cigar:

•••
I personally don't see the point in listing it for that type of position. Generally a resume should show skills and experience relevant to the job you are applying for. I don't think buying domain names and selling them on an auction site would really mean much in the eyes of HR at a bank. That would be like trying to claim you are an 'online sales expert' because you bought stuff and sold it on ebay.

•••
Any activity that shows that you can make money (legally) is a good thing to put down.

Agreed. It's worth listing if you have made a considerable amount of money with it.

Let's see where this ends up ;) Welcome to the forum!

•••
@todaygold I appreciate your opinion but as I mentioned earlier it's really my hobby and I do made about 10x ROI in last two years . Which made me think of this option.

•••
@todaygold I appreciate your opinion but as I mentioned earlier it's really my hobby and I do made about 10x ROI in last two years . Which made me think of this option.

No problem, I've considered in the past whether to add hobbies and whatnot to my resume, but always decided against it. In this case, I think there are 2 things to think about:
1. Does buying and selling 5 domains a year really stand out as an accomplishment on your resume that is relevant to the position? Did buying/selling those domains make you a better fit for what you are applying for? If not, I probably wouldn't list it.
2. Since most people in a bank probably don't know much about domains, they will see it as the equivalent of buying stuff and holding 5 auctions a year on ebay...would that look favorably on you? Because that's how most people will interpret it when you write it on your resume. If holding a few auctions isn't something that is going to 'wow' them, then again, I wouldn't list it.

•••
Put all nerdy activities on resume. <----Good advice.

•••
@Ramlakhan chauhan, in my opinion, it would only be beneficial as a hobby if the person reading the resume understands what it is.

And on that note..
Welcome-Namepros-briguy-(myway2fortune.info).jpg

•••
•••
I'd say add it if it helps, not as filler. Good luck and welcome

•••
Thanks everyone for your valuable opinions, I think it worth adding, I will give it a try.

•••
Having worked in senior corporate roles in the past and been in situations where I needed to conduct interviews to find staff for my team. I would recommend adding it, maybe call it something else... like Strategic Domain Acquisitions or Domain Investing or something creative. Ideally creative enough to get the interviewer to ask about it. This gives you the opportunity to further impress the interviewer by showing him how knowledgeable you are on the subject. It is probably not at all related to the job you are applying for BUT it does show the interviewer that you have other interests and hobbies and you are knowledgeable about it as well as how well you were able to explain the concept to him/her. This would help you come across as a more well-rounded and interesting candidate.

Last edited:
•••
Mines more of an expensive addiction. lol

•••
Thanks @deez007 for providing probably the best argument of this thread.

•••
Banks, financial institutions, lenders, etc all have and use domain names / urls daily in conducting their business in one form or another.

A well titled strategic description of your domain interests, and you have been suggested several above, should IMO serve to enhance your resume.

•••
Hello and welcome to NamePros!:)

•••
@Steven McEvoy I think now a Days everyone knows what a domain name is, specially if they deal with eveything which has some value. And if i put domain name investment in title they might get the idea of what it is. Anyway this point of view worth consideration. Thanks

I said domaining, not domains, but trust me a lot of people look at me when I say domain, like :xf.confused:O_o. They usually respond with oh a website... Then when you use the term domaining all hell breaks loose.

•••
•••
Banks, financial institutions, lenders, etc all have and use domain names / urls daily in conducting their business in one form or another.

Which means what exactly? I can assure you the lady in HR looking at applications has nothing to do with maintaining the banks website or domains and likely knows nothing about it. It's like saying since a restaurant has liability insurance, all of the wait staff must be experts in insurance. Makes 0 sense.

•••
I said domaining, not domains, but trust me a lot of people look at me when I say domain, like :xf.confused:O_o. They usually respond with oh a website... Then when you use the term domaining all hell breaks loose.

why?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back