IT.COM

Domaining as a hobby on resume?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ramlakhan chauhan

Account Closed
Impact
Hi everyone,

I'm very much interested in Domaining and it is truly my hobby. I aspire for a job in banking sector as an officer or manager . I was mulling over including Domaining/domain name investment as a hobby in my resume. Would it be beneficial?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you are going for a sales job definitely put it down.

If it's not a sales job, only put it down if you made solid money from it.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Which means what exactly? I can assure you the lady in HR looking at applications has nothing to do with maintaining the banks website or domains and likely knows nothing about it. It's like saying since a restaurant has liability insurance, all of the wait staff must be experts in insurance. Makes 0 sense.

Zero sense to you does not mean zero sense to another person.

First of all he stated domains & related is his hobby and apparently on his resume he decided to include his hobby interests, domains & related in his case.

Does that hobby mean less to the " lady in HR " than a hypothetical hobby of collecting seashells, or carving driftwood, or collecting stamps or restoring bicycles, ad on infinitum.

IMO his hobby may open a discussion with the interviewer re an interest he has that is lessor known than most hobbies and yet is visible to all many times a day on a daily basis, domain names / urls.

If his hobby is domain related he can discuss the prudent use of domains as marketing tools, as image builders, as means of attracting customers and, all the other values normally associated with domains.

If he is listing his hobbies on his resume why would he exclude a hobby important to him?

•••
•••
If he is listing his hobbies on his resume why would he exclude a hobby important to him?

And why would he or you or anyone be listing a hobby that doesn't relate to the position you are applying for on a resume? Maybe you come from another country where this is common or something...but in the states, a resume is seen as a professional document that should highlight relevant skills and experience to the position being applied for. A resume is NOT the place to highlight your love of seashells, rock collections or selling 5 urls a year.

•••
It all depends on how dull your recruiter / interviewer is. Banks are usually very dull and just want predictable clerks, unless of course you apply for a high or strategic position. Entrepreneurs are more "mobile" and more likely to assign high value to out-of-box thinking of their employees. So, I would say: list your unusual hobbies if you want to stand out, and do not list them if you want to appear as a conservative guy without hidden surprises.

Last edited:
•••
describe it as Domain Name Investing and not as Domaining!

Yes...maybe even domain broker...and if you honestly have made money I would treat it as a second/part time job. Be ready in the interview to explain that it doesn't require much time since knowledge is the tool you use not time (like assembling thing a bobs from 9-5). Let them know it will not interfere with any of the requirements of the job you seek.

•••
I wouldn't write 'domaining' on a resume or even on a social media profile but, that's just personal taste. I don't mind using the term among peers however. In my experience (and I may be wrong here of course) most people do not understand the meaning of the word and perhaps it doesn't sound 'professional' enough.

How about 'Domain Name Consultant' or 'Domain Name Expert' as a broad description?

Or, alternatively:

'Digital IP investor'
'Digital Intellectual Property manager/expert/investor/consultant'
'Digital Brand manager/expert/investor/consultant'
'Domain Name Developer'
'Domain Name Service Provider'

There must be a heck of a lot of other options out there.

•••
This thread is coming up at the right time for me. Can you imagine I have an opportunity to fill a loan form just tomorrow and I intend to write on the form as follows: "Webdesigns, Hosting and Internet Domain name trading"
Though very few people seldom know what it is all about when you are talking of domain name business or trading or investment.
But the two additional skills I added could give me the opportunity to get the loan, because the three jobs are relevants to each other.

Coming to your question, I think it is not bad adding domain name trading in one's CV. IMO. It depends on how you are seen the biz and your feelings about the business and the people you are meeting for interview. But it all depends on how you can defend the big job in my opinion.

I think one should be proud of a biz that very many people have made 7 to 8 figures and plenty of four to five figures were also have been made. And lastly, I think it does not matter how many time you sell in a year but what matter most is how much one makes or could make in a year that matters most.

Last edited:
•••
Hello Ramlakhan,

Firstly, welcome aboard.

If you do good in domaining, you wont need a job.

If you need a job, then obviously domaining is just your hobby.

Whether to put it in your resume as a hobby, should be your personal choice. It has nothing to do with banking. But showcasing your good hobbies isnt a bad thing.

Happy domaining!

•••
Well,
IMO..
It is always good to show that you have an entrepreneur spirit when you apply for a job.

Of course, it is good if you have been successful in the domain industry so this way it shows that you are a doer.

I wouldn't add "Domain name investor" on a resume if it was just a hobby. Are you in business or do you like to spend money?

•••
Hello Ramlakhan,

Firstly, welcome aboard.

If you do good in domaining, you wont need a job.

If you need a job, then obviously domaining is just your hobby.

Whether to put it in your resume as a hobby, should be your personal choice. It has nothing to do with banking. But showcasing your good hobbies isnt a bad thing.

Happy domaining!

Domain Investing works the same way as starting a business.

Your job gets you money to live.
Then your invest some of your job money in the business.
When you have enough money in the business you don't need to reinvest your job money.
Reinvest the business money into the business.
Don't use your business money to pay yourself yet.
You need money to build the business.
You keep your job so that you can have a salary.
When the business is generating more than enough money so that you can pay you a salary, then you can start thinking about quitting your day job.

Trust me, I have been a full time investor for a year now. Made an hefty profit. However, I had to pay myself and reinvest some of the profit into my business. I then realized that money doesn't last that long!

This year I won't be using my business money to pay myself.

•••
I wouldn't add it personally, There is still a lot of people who literally hate domainers, I wouldn't take the chance that one of the people reading my resume was one of them. Some have a legitimate gripe, domainers who reg trademarks,maybe even typos of the bank you are applying for etc. All else aside many endusers look at us as oppurtunists, like why couldn't they buy reversemortage.com for a few hundred dollars when the holder wanted 300k (just an example) on the other hand if you feel buying domains is something you might be doing in your job it could be an asset for the bank then add it.
Joe T

•••
Yes, the interviewer will ask questions for domaining. You should answer how/what you benefit from it.
No, IMO,it is not kind of a hobby. It is kind of consuming time if you don't earn enough money based on ROI rate.

•••
Thank you each of you, I just finished reading all your opinions and I appreciate your views on this. Here I would like to tell something about my hobby - I am in domain parking business since last two years Though I didn’t sold many domains,I do turn my xxx-xxxx investment in xxxxxx with parking domains and have generated about 10x ROI on my investment. Many of my domains are still generating revenue in there 3rd year of registration.

•••
Any skill or experience you can explain can go on a resume.

That said, most people outside this industry don't understand domaining. And there's even a fair amount of stigma and prejudice attached to domaining. Domain resellers are sometimes viewed as illegitimate, exploitative cybersquatters. Unfair and ignorant, but real.

Ultimately whether domain investing is worth putting on a resume depends on whether your presentation skills – and the concrete achievements you can point to as a domainer – offset the widespread negative impression many people have of domainers.

•••
I said domaining, not domains, but trust me a lot of people look at me when I say domain, like :xf.confused:O_o. They usually respond with oh a website... Then when you use the term domaining all hell breaks loose.
Thanks for Info. I thought this problem exist only in India. But it seems it is world wide. Anyways Welcome to NP RamLakhan.

•••
Easy, I am a domain name investor. I invest in website names or url.

A real estate agent sells properties, I sell domain names.

•••
If it's your hobby, and they ask for hobbies, yes.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back