Dynadot

question Domain trademarks with multiple meanings?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BoltDomain

Established Member
Impact
Mid & large sized companies usually have their brand trademarked. From what I understand, domain flippers avoid registering any domains in these branded companies' territory.

However, what if there are multiple meanings to the name? Example: Jaguar is a popular, premium brand in vehicles. If I were to register 'getajaguar.com', as in Jaguar (the animal, large cat), how would those interfere with each other?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
TMs are registered in specific classes. Jaguar the car does not necessarily interfere with Jaguar the game console. And you can't really TM Jaguar as something related to jaguars, as it's considered generic in this class.

•••
There is 171 LIVE Trademarks with the USPTO for Jaguar/Jaguars named goods and services!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Mid & large sized companies usually have their brand trademarked. From what I understand, domain flippers avoid registering any domains in these branded companies' territory.

However, what if there are multiple meanings to the name? Example: Jaguar is a popular, premium brand in vehicles. If I were to register 'getajaguar.com', as in Jaguar (the animal, large cat), how would those interfere with each other?
It depends what you use it for. If you use it to sale cars, you are in trouble. Even more trouble if you use it to sale cars from Jaguars competitor brands. If you make a cake brand named as Jaguar and use the domain to sell only your cakes, it won't be a problem.

Jaguar trademark only protect the brand from others who benefit from bad faith registration :
- to blackmail the brand by selling the domain in high price
- by selling competitors' product in the website with Jaguar name
- making damage by selling fake Jaguar products
- making website seens like officially Jaguar website and profitting from ads
- every activity that make a damage to Jaguar Name..

•••
It depends what you use it for. If you use it to sale cars, you are in trouble. Even more trouble if you use it to sale cars from Jaguars competitor brands. If you make a cake brand named as Jaguar and use the domain to sell only your cakes, it won't be a problem.

Jaguar trademark only protect the brand from others who benefit from bad faith registration :
- to blackmail the brand by selling the domain in high price
- by selling competitors' product in the website with Jaguar name
- making damage by selling fake Jaguar products
- making website seens like officially Jaguar website and profitting from ads
- every activity that make a damage to Jaguar Name..
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

•••
As long as the website is not related to their products or them in anyway, its not going to infringe their trademark. There are many businesses that trademarked same names but under different business categories.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back