Dynadot

LLLL domain that matches multiple pending trademarks

NameSilo
Watch

VC43

Impact
Hi, first of all i am new here. Great site and i have already enjoyed learning plenty from experience members here.

I have a domain that is 4 letters, not a dictionary word, although it is 1letter off a common word that is often misspelled. It also sounds exactly the same misspelled or not, example would be vacuum or vacum

A google search of the name brought me a list of multiple businesses currently using the name for lots of different things from bars,gyms, restaurants to sports related equipment. I also found 3 pending trademark applications for the name.I have done nothing with the domain, no trying to profit of the existing businesses name. All i have done is list the domain for sale.

My question is as i am trying to find a buyer, excluding the 3 with trademark applications pending, can i actively approach the other business owners offering them the domain? Or do i have to wait until someone comes to me? Can i approach the people with trademarks pending?

2nd question. What would be the situation if one of the companies with a pending trademark contact me wanting the name transferred to them? Does pending even give any rights? there are no completed live trademarks currently for the name.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Careful. If it sounds the same as a trademark they can use it as phoneticall domain . For example buying hebay.com sounds like ebay.com when you say it . Seek legal advise though if it could potentially infringe on trademark,.

•••
Careful. If it sounds the same as a trademark they can use it as phoneticall domain . For example buying hebay.com sounds like ebay.com when you say it . Seek legal advise though if it could potentially infringe on trademark,.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that issue about hebay from from reading here but i am not so worried about that aspect as it is a common word and is being used by many different small businesses for lots of different purposes. No trademarks currently but 3 pending.

•••
Thanks for your reply. I understand that issue about hebay from from reading here but i am not so worried about that aspect as it is a common word and is being used by many different small businesses for lots of different purposes. No trademarks currently but 3 pending.

Good luck to you hopefully its alright. You can read up on the Madrid protocol aswell took me a while to get my head around it .Basically if its trademarked in Country A it won't have any trademark issue over the trademarked being used in Country Z if it is not a member of the Madrid Protocol.

Madrid protocol members are US.UK, Etc

•••
Good luck to you hopefully its alright. You can read up on the Madrid protocol aswell took me a while to get my head around it .Basically if its trademarked in Country A it won't have any trademark issue over the trademarked being used in Country Z if it is not a member of the Madrid Protocol.

Madrid protocol members are US.UK, Etc

Thanks Pepto i will look it up. I thought the Madrid protocol was Ronaldo lifting trophies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back