Dynadot

question Domain industry is dying slowly?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

souren

Established Member
Impact
Since beginning of the internet .com .net .org were always the best option for any business or personal use
names were too limited in a sense that generated a solid valuable market for the domaining business
and domain investors

Most of us as the people who are buying this so called land , imo are unaware of the fact that everyday new lands ,are being generated by the Icann ( Internet's Allah :) )

every year 10 to 20 new domain extension were being released to the public witch in my opinion wouldn't create a serious problem
until 2014 and beyond where +400 tld has been released to the public witch followed similarly and here were are in 2017 with 882 domain extension
witch in my opinion make owning a premium name easy,cheap, for any potential buyer
witch at the end will affect the tld market valuation
imagine if you own solarenergy.com in 2000 and the value would be a good $$$,$$$
then time passes and here we are in 2017 where you can have names like
solar.energy energy.solar and more.. combinations for
a reg fee or very cheap price
Then it would seriously affect the valuation of solarenergy.com
I see a world (in near future )where anyone can have a short and premium looking domain
that he just registered for 10$
and a market witch looses it's value everyday

That's just my thought about the future of this industry
What you guys think about this?

Attachments

• image_manager__684w_timeline-infographic.jpg
    image_manager__684w_timeline-infographic.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Stupidity and greed is what is killing the domain industry. A 30% ROI in real estate is considered amazing. Yet, many domains will receive a 1000% ROI on their domain and still turn it down because it's not their asking price. This is why most domains will never sell.
so if you owned 2000 domains ,your probably only gonna sell 30-40 a yearif they were hand reg domains you will collect 4k and pay 20k in renewals ,that's why domainers turn down 1000 percent ,,,,,,the solution to this is buy high cost domains and sell them higher ,,,,like they say whether they are worth 10 bucks or 10 million bucks ,they all cost 10 bucks to renew .

•••
Domain industry will never die. But there will be ups and down always.

•••
Definitely not dying but it is going through a dip

•••
Since beginning of the internet .com .net .org were always the best option for any business or personal use
names were too limited in a sense that generated a solid valuable market for the domaining business
and domain investors

Most of us as the people who are buying this so called land , imo are unaware of the fact that everyday new lands ,are being generated by the Icann ( Internet's Allah :) )

every year 10 to 20 new domain extension were being released to the public witch in my opinion wouldn't create a serious problem
until 2014 and beyond where +400 tld has been released to the public witch followed similarly and here were are in 2017 with 882 domain extension
witch in my opinion make owning a premium name easy,cheap, for any potential buyer
witch at the end will affect the tld market valuation
imagine if you own solarenergy.com in 2000 and the value would be a good $$$,$$$
then time passes and here we are in 2017 where you can have names like
solar.energy energy.solar and more.. combinations for
a reg fee or very cheap price
Then it would seriously affect the valuation of solarenergy.com
I see a world (in near future )where anyone can have a short and premium looking domain
that he just registered for 10$
and a market witch looses it's value everyday

That's just my thought about the future of this industry
What you guys think about this?
Well to some extent you are right, but if you are planning on branding, you will always need the .com at the end of the day...

•••
Stupidity and greed is what is killing the domain industry. A 30% ROI in real estate is considered amazing. Yet, many domains will receive a 1000% ROI on their domain and still turn it down because it's not their asking price. This is why most domains will never sell.
I can see that, but the flip side is if you had a million in a name, and you got a half-million offer, or you know a name is worth ten times that offer, would you accept it just to make sure the industry does not die?

•••
•••
it's a test for dot com! if .com is the real king! I am sure everything its gonna be okay! :xf.grin: but we never know for sure! but from I see most new Gtld basically using some old tac tic like dot info! i.e $0.99! personally this kind trick doesn't work to well for long term!

you can see from dot info! when the price 0.99! many people buy dot info for spam activity, as result no webmaster build serious website using dot info! and not to mention the characteristic of do info is identical with info! or blogging! though, many ppl tell, google hate dot info! because not many dot info get first page for generic keywords!

if NewGTLD want to defeat the king! i.e dot com! they must get first page on Google SERP for generic keywords! if that happen, probably I will choose them! and I am sure many webmaster will do the same thing! but as long its not happen! I can tell dot com is the king!

in short if you want to be new king, you have to make friend or defeat the real king I.e Big G!

Last edited:
•••
it's a test for dot com! if .com is the real king! I am sure everything its gonna be okay! :xf.grin: but we never know for sure! but from I see most new Gtld basically using some old tac tic like dot info! i.e $0.99! personally this kind trick doesn't work to well for long term!

you can see from dot info! when the price 0.99! many people buy dot info for spam activity, as result no webmaster build serious website using dot info! and not to mention the characteristic of do info is identical with info! or blogging! though, many ppl tell, google hate dot info! because not many dot info get first page for generic keywords!

if NewGTLD want to defeat the king! i.e dot com! they must get first page on Google SERP for generic keywords! if that happen, probably I will choose them! and I am sure many webmaster will do the same thing! but as long its not happen! I can tell dot com is the king!

in short if you want to be new king, you have to make friend or defeat the real king I.e Big G!
.Com Is the king you are right ,And I am saying It will always remain the king, However;
Not the way Alexander the great was, And not like Cyrus the great either
It gonna be an smaller king like king Carl XVI Gustaf or Queen Elizabeth are
In today's world !

Making the kings seat less lucrative and less dominant !
Due to ِDivision of power to all of those members of the
parliament and ministers ! )

IMO !

Last edited:
•••
Phisical stores will dye but domaining never die

•••
.Com Is the king you are right ,And I am saying It will always remain the king, However;
Not the way Alexander the great was, And not like Cyrus the great either
It gonna be an smaller king like king Carl XVI Gustaf or Queen Elizabeth are
In today's world !

Making the kings seat less lucrative and less dominant !
Due to ِDivision of power to all of those members of the
parliament and ministers ! )

IMO !
as long dot com still the king, domain industry will be profitable for some ppl!(not everyone of course).
And if dot com domination less or decrease because new Gtld, and if that happen, domain industry will die(for domainer)! but who stay ? of course the newTLD company! because they sell short domain for thousand of thousand dollar! :xf.grin:

in short! domain industry will stay alive forever! but for domainer! it will die, if new GTLD defeat dot com! :xf.grin: so from now on lets stop doing promotion New Gtld! because its bad for business! :xf.laugh:

its just my 2 cents, I could be wrong!

Last edited:
•••
I actually think that the public is just getting the whole jist of the .com era . i am starting to get an influx of people that want to buy the .c9m domains with the same nam3 as the company they own ......giving up. Thei4 .net and .org. I think this trend will. C9nti ue for a while .

•••
•••
Domain industry is dying slowly?
Remember that guy standing on the corner with the sign that read "The end is coming"? Yeah neither do I.

•••
•••
The end will come, no doubt, if not by anything before it will be our own life giving sun that consumes us. In the meantime, I'm buying domains.

•••
Being in the domain industry is like being in a roller coaster ride.

•••
Being in the domain industry is like being in a roller coaster ride.
Your right, better to have a life of no excitement, mediocre return and a boss that rides you.

4better, I'm not suggesting that that is what you meant (that that?), just speaking to namepro's posterity.

•••
Exactly
One other thing that i love to do but have no idea if anyone else are doing is
That i buy domain names that i do believe can help a company grow and have a better
online presence and identity

and selling out the names to them for a very affordable price
i just registered 2 names that were available to the public and sold them for 150 $
witch is a 7.5x ROI

So while i am patient for great domain names and invest on them
i also love doing some marketing & test my negotiation skill with end users to sell my
names for a 100 - 600 $ fee
to keep my pocket full for the next domain investing

Good point

Anyone can ask pie in the sky prices for their domains and some may get them but selling domains for realistic affordable prices keeps and or adds liquidity to a portfolio

Money made from selling domains is effectively the oil and or lubricant of a domain name portfolio

Every good sales person knows where in the sales presentation exactly when they knew they had sold the product and or service before the customer signs an order and the same applies to not getting a sale - a salesperson should know exactly when in the sales presentation when they lost a sale - only then can a person fine tune their sales pitch in order to produce more sales

Eg fab = features - advantages - benefits

Eg - this domain is a two word dot com -
Which means - the advantages of owning such a good two word self explanatory dot com are - etc etc etc which means - explain to the customer the benefits such a good domain will have to them and their customer etc etc etc

Always ask for the order

A good closing method

A blank a 4 piece of paper and draw a line down the middle of the page

Then list with the customer the benefits and disadvantages of buying your domain and the benefits should outweigh the disadvantages which would visibly show that there are more reasons to buy your domain than not to

Allegedly

•••
Whatever happens to the domain industry it won't affect domain name investors unless they have huge expensively bought stock

But as a rule domain name investors know how to buy the next big thing and sit on it to make long term gains

A domain name is nothing more than a digital address

Usernames are also digital addresses which will eventually be available to buy and sell which no doubt domain name investors will invest in too at some point

•••
It sure seems like it's dying. Facebook, gTLDs, Google etc.....is killing the need for dotcoms. Stunner type dotcoms will always be in need but the majority of members here don't have stunner names. The $1,000-$5,000 market has taken a big hit. Getting $2,500 sales all the time was easy but now it's not. You really have to take the volume shot to make it work now unless you deal with really good names. I have dropped a ton of names and in the process right now of regrouping, re-evaluating, altering, adjusting and just plain rethinking my whole strategy with this game.

•••
Not dying, but changing as it has since the beginning.

•••
Not dying, but changing as it has since the beginning.
Yep. I saw that in 2006 when I started youtubing, and when I started making more from a site that was not my own than one on my own domain name. I had over 6 million views on youtube, and made money on it, but it was no longer requiring a domain to do so, though having one did not hurt at all. And it is always best to have the .com of your yt address.

•••
Also, we are very surprised that reputable domain name registrars decided to offer registrations of alternative domain names. We deem this to become very damaging to their reputation. We predict lawsuits on this basis.

Nah, I wouldn't believe in any successful lawsuit on this basis.

•••
I think it's all about perspective. If you equate domaining to real estate, would you say water front properties would lose value with an influx of new development in the area? Of course not. That waterfront property will almost always rise in value just by virtue of location.

•••
Domaining was harder once because you didn't know domains could be so valuable. There were no previous sales history to influence a sale. All sales were done though type ins over market places. You couldn't guess a sites resale value let alone a domain. Transfers had to be faxed and signed for. Servers were expensive so any traffic you did make you had to pay for. Domains were more expensive when people couldn't decide on dot net or dot com. To own a dot org you need to be a registered charity. Sure anyone could register what ever you wanted but why it was so expensive to own a large site. Who really knew domains would be as strong as they are today those that speculated correct became king. The risk was higher as the internet fad may settle but instead moved ahead in leaps and bounds. Everything to make domaining better is around domain calculators , new extensions, site stats, domain parking, whitelabels, turnkeys, affiliate programs, cheap hosting, a sales history to dig out at any given notice. There will be 1400+ new extensions in coming years. More registrars than ever and latest news is..... domain industry is dying slowly.
I am going to wear a foil hat.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back