NameSilo

discuss Domain I sold for low to mid five figures in 2017 just showed up in GoDaddy auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
I sold a domain for low to mid five figures a few years ago, and @Silentptnr recently alerted me that the domain was in GoDaddy auctions. Thank you!

When I sold the domain, it sat there with my name servers for about a year. Then about a year later a business appeared on the domain, but in late 2019, the business disappeared. In 2019, I put a GoDaddy back order on the domain because it was started to look like the buyer, a Hollywood producer, was just going to let it go. The producer has not used the domain for anything to do with the movie industry.

I'd say that this domain has some intrinsic value, but not much. Its value is just for someone who needs this exact name/phrase. I'd say that the market for this domain is an extremely small pool.

I bid on the auction but lost. It didn't sell for a lot at auction, but it sold for more than a few dollars probably only because someone saw that it had once sold for so much. I suspect that if it had no prior high sales history no one would have bid on it.

The auction closed for a little more than I was willing to pay.

I found my buyer's contact info that I had from a few years ago, and emailed him to let him know what had happened and to let him know that he can get it back now during the redemption period. I outlined that I would be willing to buy it from him if he intends to just let it go. Let's see what happens. I have his phone # too for follow up. But realistically, I'd only be willing to pay him the same amount I was willing to pay at auction, but if he indeed wants to just let it go, that amount is better than nothing.

Or, if he did not intend to let it expire, and I alert him in a way that saves it for him, that would be fine too. I'd feel bad if someone who paid me that much for a domain lost it by mistake.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i hate to be “that guy” clearly you have best intentions and think this best post youve made

What if he’s “testing the waters”?

I hate GD they allow that; auctions should final, but seems like a valuable domain. Either way, networking, and lose nothing. Keep updated!

Also when all said and done; tell us name :)
Unlikely he forgot, but people are human.
Hope buy it from him, Rooting for this the most

Samer

Last edited:
•••
As far as letting it go just to see what happens at auction: It depends on if he's a domain investor or just a guy who wanted to make a business on a website. I tend to think he is more of the latter.

Last edited:
•••
•••
A very commendable step to reach out to them to make sure the domain name was not dropped inadvertently, @xynames. I think in these days of offices closed there is a higher chance of renewals being overlooked. You did the right thing, and thank you for sharing the story with us. Please update us if you do hear back.
Bob

•••
Very nice. I think there may be something to this concept as a whole, setup monitoring on domains you have previously sold, if it expires send an email to your buyer letting them know,

if it was inadvertent they would be grateful you let them know
if they truly aren't using the name offer to buy it back.

Might be a good idea to pursue such a strategy.

•••
I sold a domain for low to mid five figures a few years ago, and @Silentptnr recently alerted me that the domain was in GoDaddy auctions. Thank you!

When I sold the domain, it sat there with my name servers for about a year. Then about a year later a business appeared on the domain, but in late 2019, the business disappeared. In 2019, I put a GoDaddy back order on the domain because it was started to look like the buyer, a Hollywood producer, was just going to let it go. The producer has not used the domain for anything to do with the movie industry.

I'd say that this domain has some intrinsic value, but not much. Its value is just for someone who needs this exact name/phrase. I'd say that the market for this domain is an extremely small pool.

I bid on the auction but lost. It didn't sell for a lot at auction, but it sold for more than a few dollars probably only because someone saw that it had once sold for so much. I suspect that if it had no prior high sales history no one would have bid on it.

The auction closed for a little more than I was willing to pay.

I found my buyer's contact info that I had from a few years ago, and emailed him to let him know what had happened and to let him know that he can get it back now during the redemption period. I outlined that I would be willing to buy it from him if he intends to just let it go. Let's see what happens. I have his phone # too for follow up. But realistically, I'd only be willing to pay him the same amount I was willing to pay at auction, but if he indeed wants to just let it go, that amount is better than nothing.

Or, if he did not intend to let it expire, and I alert him in a way that saves it for him, that would be fine too. I'd feel bad if someone who paid me that much for a domain lost it by mistake.[/QUOTE

]@xynames Karma never goes unrewarded. You did good!!(y)

•••
Once I sell a domain I tend to keep an eye on it to see what happens to it. But in this case it was @Silentptnr who let me know what was going on - that it was in auction - I hadn’t been looking out closely for this one recently. In 2019, I had a backorder on a different domain (not ever one of mine just a domain I was interested in) that expired, but I lost out on that one so, with a prepaid GoDaddy back order I no longer needed, I switched it to this domain because I had already noticed that the domain business on it had gone dark so I figured it was worth a free monitor.

Now that I look in my inbox, there were a couple of notices I received. First this one:
x4kxkWAl.jpg

then this one:
ss4xeC2l.jpg

Given those two notices, I assumed that the owner had renewed the domain. Maybe he did, and simply put it up for auction himself?

But under domaintools.com the expiration date shows as passed a month or so ago. Also the current WhoIs appears to show GoDaddy as the owner, and not my buyer. (But for some time now GoDaddy has been shrouding all the domains registered with them and making it look like they are the owner.) And, an auction definitely did happen and I definitely did lose and someone else won. (Those are definitely rose bushes!) :-P
Tqxv1omm.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Given those two notices, I assumed that the owner had renewed the domain. Maybe he did, and simply put it up for auction himself?

But under domaintools.com the expiration date shows as passed a month or so ago.

I have noticed it can be hard to tell since the registrar has to pay the renewal fee to the registry and the expiration date rolls over anyway. I think [T]here is actually an EPP status code that can be applied when it wasn't actually renewed by the registrant yet to show its in the AutoRenew Grace Period but apparently setting that status isn't mandatory and not all registrars do so. Possibly so someone like us can't see it wasn't renewed and try to negotiate to buy it directly cutting out the registrar and their expiry marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
The EPP I usually notice is
clientTransferProhibited
and that is what I see for this domain, now. Maybe other codes appear sometimes too, but that is the most common one.

Last edited:
•••
The EPP I usually notice is
clientTransferProhibited
and that is what I see for this domain, now. Maybe other codes appear sometimes too, but that is the most common one.

Ya there's a whole list of codes that can apply to a domain, the link I provided shows them all on the ICANN site. In fact looking closer at the list it seems the code for the AutoRenew Grace period is set my the registry not the registrar...hmmmm.....

Last edited:
•••
with a prepaid GoDaddy back order I no longer needed
Sorry for going off the topic. Where in the Godaddy settings can you see the prepaid GD back order status?

•••
GoDaddy sends you emails about the status, when the domain's status changes - otherwise, I haven't ever logged in to check.

Ryan217: There are in theory probably many codes that could be displayed, but the one I notice seems to always be
clientTransferProhibited

For example...I found at random an expired domain. 855426 dot com Guess what its code status is?
clientTransferProhibited

Last edited:
•••
A little off topic, but I sold a domain last year for 2488, that is now listed on an aftermarket site for 1000. Some people just have too much money to play with!!

•••
A little off topic, but I sold a domain last year for 2488, that is now listed on an aftermarket site for 1000. Some people just have too much money to play with!!
So long as some of that too much money comes my way I'm all for it...:ROFL:

•••
I got hold of the buyer by telephone. He thanked me for my concern, but said that he let the domain go intentionally. Apparently he was part of some entity that bought the domain, and is no longer involved with them.

•••
Karma never goes unrewarded. You did good!!(y)
An hour after I got off the phone with this former buyer, I sold another domain for low to mid five figures, I mean just like that! :glasses: Already paid. :woot:

•••
Good karma!

An hour after I got off the phone with this former buyer, I sold another domain for low to mid five figures, I mean just like that! :glasses: Already paid. :woot:

•••
All of my biggest sales... they have done nothing with the name. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Some people just have money to burn.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back