Domain Empire

Domain expired in February.. but in WHOIS lookup it says "expiration date: 2018-02-27"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I don't understand.. maybe someone can explain it to me.
There's a .info name I would like to get. The name expired last month. If you go to the domain name it says:
"Dynadot
This domain has expired. If you’re the owner, you can renew it. If you’re not the owner, search for domain and then build your website for free on Dynadot.com!"

But when I do a WHOIS lookup of this domain it says:
expiration date: 2018-02-27

So how can a domain be expired and in a redemption stage, but it says in the WHOIS the expiration date is almost a year from now. Does that mean that I need to wait 1 year to try to grab it? Or is that a mistake?

Thanks for anyone who knows the answer.. I'm sure someone here knows.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It appears that the domain was renewed.

•••
The domain is expired. the registrar auto renews the domain on the owners behalf when the drop process starts. After 45 days the domain will go to redemption and Dynadot will request the registration to be deleted.

The status should say auto renew period if this is the case.

Last edited:
•••
Nope. @Grego85 is correct. He beat me to the post botton :) That's not the answer. The answer is all ICANN domains get renewed as they expire between the Registrar and the Registry. Just in case the owner forgets to renew the domain. But this has nothing to do with the owner. It'd between the Registrar and the Registry. The owner only ever sees the reg date in their control panel which they've paid for. In this case expired. What you are seeing in the Whois is the Registry expiry date. Not the Registrar expiry date. You need to look for the Registrar expiry date.

Then. If the domain is not renewed by the owner, on day 45 the Registry credits back the renewal to the Registrar, and the Registry and Registrar expiry dates will again coincide.

Which is why you should use a decent whois. Like www.GWhois.org.

Last edited:
•••
•••
if it is not clear to me when I check a domain, I use the whois at the domain's registrar.

sometimes that will show an expiration date in the past

•••
confusing for checking if domain expired or not.. isn't it..

•••
r.PNG

The domain has TWO expiration dates:

Registry expiration
Registrar expiration <----This is the one you want.

As stated above it is renewed at the registry during grace period.

You can see this www.GWhois.org. by looking at the verisign record versus the registrar record.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Show attachment 51867

The domain has TWO expiration dates:

Registry expiration
Registrar expiration <----This is the one you want.

As stated above it is renewed at the registry during grace period.

You can see this www.GWhois.org. by looking at the verisign record versus the registrar record.

I don't get it.... can you maybe to a whiteboard animation video for us or perhaps a powerpoint presentation??:xf.grin: Just kidding mate...

•••
@Grego85 @stub and @DU are absolutely correct. The domain is in the auto-renew period. If you're still interested, check our expired auctions on March 29. If not renewed, the domain will be listed there.

https://www.dynadot.com/market/auction/

I wonder do I have to bid in an auction for this domain name? Or there a chance that the domain will simply be deleted and then after 30 - 45 days become available for me to register (at normal price)?

•••
I wonder do I have to bid in an auction for this domain name? Or there a chance that the domain will simply be deleted and then after 30 - 45 days become available for me to register (at normal price)?

Bidding in the auctions would be your first chance to acquire the domain. It will not drop until it has been expired for roughly 75 days.

•••
Bidding in the auctions would be your first chance to acquire the domain. It will not drop until it has been expired for roughly 75 days.

If I start bidding on March 29.. does the past owner still have an opportunity to renew it? I'd hate to bid on it.. just to find out later that the past owner simply renewed it. Or when the auction starts, it also means the redemption period for the last owner is over?

•••
If I start bidding on March 29.. does the past owner still have an opportunity to renew it? I'd hate to bid on it.. just to find out later that the past owner simply renewed it. Or when the auction starts, it also means the redemption period for the last owner is over?

Right, so this is where it gets a bit complicated. :)

The domain has a 40 day Renewal Grace Period. Our auction begins on day 30 and lasts for 7 days. If you win, there is still 3 days in which the current Registrant can renew. If they do not, you will receive the domain the morning of day 4. Doing it this way allows us to bypass the 30 day Redemption Period that follows the Renewal Grace Period and get domains to new owners sooner.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period

•••

The domain has a 40 day Renewal Grace Period. Our auction begins on day 30 and lasts for 7 days. If you win, there is still 3 days in which the current Registrant can renew. If they do not, you will receive the domain the morning of day 4. Doing it this way allows us to bypass the 30 day Redemption Period that follows the Renewal Grace Period and get domains to new owners sooner.

I got the domain name I wanted through the expired auction! Pretty happy.

Just another question.. because I don't usually go for expired / expiring names.. There's another domain I'm watching that expires in June. The registrar for this domain is Moniker. What's the best way I can try to be the first to get this domain after it expires? Should I "backorder" it? Or does Moniker also do expired domain auctions?

If anyone knows..

•••
•••

This is true but the registrant faces an additional $10 charge now as a disincentive / profit for DD after day 30.

•••
This is true but the registrant faces an additional $10 charge now as a disincentive / profit for DD after day 30.

$10 seems not too bad I guess.. usually the "redemption period" fees at some registrars are like $50 - $80.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back