Dynadot

Expired name drop date lookup ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just tried the "expired name drop date lookup" feature on this forum and really like it.

However, being the newbie I am, I guess I am not familiar with some of the terminology.

I know "Expiration Date" :) But what is "Redemption period", "Pending delete" and "Deletion date".

I suppose these other dates have something to do with the fact that after a domain's expiration date, it is not immediately available for registration. I have always wondered about that but may be when I find out about the meaning of all those dates, everything will clear up in my mind :)

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Expiration Date" This is the date the domain expired, meaning the registration fees are no longer current at this date.

"Redemption period" The domain stays in redemption period, giving the owner a chance to renew the domain before it is deleted.

"Pending delete" The domain is marked for deletion and has this status for five days

"Deletion date" is the date the domain is deleted from the registry and it will be available for regsistration again.

•••
Thanks RJ!

Are these dates/periods the same for all registrars?

I notice in one case a domain name I was interested in was still not eligible for registration after 2 months.

[PS I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this forum :) ]

•••
Yes, the good news is that as of two months ago all registrars are now using this new deletion pattern. There is still a variable time period that each registrar has before they send the domain into the redemption period.

The redemption period is a new concept. It adds an extra 30 days to the deletion process to give the original owner a chance to renew the name, at a substantially higher cost to them ($160+).

Here's a chart that makes it easy to see the entire process.

http://www.snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html

To sum it up, the whole process takes on average 3 months after the domain has expired to actually drop. You can use our date checker tool to figure out when the domain is expected to drop.

•••
Thanks for the explanation. This is starting to make sense. The lookup facility is going to come in really handy!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back