Dynadot

Domain discount club questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Guys,

Couple of questions related to the club if you could answer -

1). If I join the club and find a cheaper price coupon, can I still use the coupon already being in the club?
2). List price vs sale price - For example, .mobi shows as 12.99 where as sale price shows up as 9.99. Which one would I be billed?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Become a DDC member if you plan on owning over 20 names or more.

Every year let the DDC expire, then renew with the discount coupon.

Not really debate worthy. If you like saving money, do it; if not then spend away!

•••
•••
stub, as a last resort, you could try a wow code

•••
Where do you find wow codes when you need them?

•••
stub, as a last resort, you could try a wow code
If he already has DDC, I don't think it would help unless it's a ccTLD or possibly some wack-a-doodle gTLD. I've had trouble with coupons in the past too on auction wins. I'm a card-carrying DDC member also.

•••
I would remind everyone, that if I let my DDC membership lapse, and I win an auction. I have three days to pay, so the coupon codes which will work with the auction renewal, wow or otherwise, need to be freely available almost on a daily basis. Is this actually the case with these codes?

•••
Where do you find wow codes when you need them?

one way is to do an internet search for them.

then memorize the best one. can be used multiple times.

side note - the last I heard, no new wow codes could be generated, but existing codes could still be used.

•••
Generated by who? How?

What exactly is a WOW Code?

•••
Do you actually use Cash Parking, with all it's flaws?
No I think it's terrible but I don't use it to make money off the clicks. I use it to track how many hits each name gets per day. When I see names that get higher than normal clicks then it gives me the chance to research why it's getting more and I adjust my pricing. Also when my names are expiring I can see how popular a name is by how many clicks it gets and that helps me decide if I want to keep the name or not.

I also use Godaddy auctions to sell some of my names and the for sale link on the cash parking page is very easy to notice. When you adjust the page yourself the for sale link shows up on the top which is nice.

•••
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

•••
@muvie - Where do you find them?
From the godaddy coupon thread. fbhpg25 should give you a 36% discount. It usually brings the renewal cost to about 8 dollars. If it doesn't work for you, that might have something to do with DDC.

•••
I just received an email that GD is changing the price on the DDC, (upon expiration of current subscription). Anybody else get this?

The Discount Domain Club is expanding to cover all domains—including hundreds of new domain extensions—and we've lowered prices even more. The subscription price for Discount Domain Club is also changing to $9.99/month, effective when your plan renews.
LEARN MORE
As always, thanks for choosing us as your domain registrar and feel free to contact us anytime at (480) 505-8877.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy

•••
I received the same email. I think it is time to pack up and move on. I am considering moving all of my domains away from Godaddy. Too many hassles with coupon codes without having GGD, and now them increasing it to double what I have been paying it is not worth it. Godaddy has become too commercialized.

•••
I just received an email that GD is changing the price on the DDC, (upon expiration of current subscription). Anybody else get this?

The Discount Domain Club is expanding to cover all domains—including hundreds of new domain extensions—and we've lowered prices even more. The subscription price for Discount Domain Club is also changing to $9.99/month, effective when your plan renews.
LEARN MORE
As always, thanks for choosing us as your domain registrar and feel free to contact us anytime at (480) 505-8877.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy
Yea I just got that crappy email too.
I just got an email 4 days ago for my annual renewal for $89.99 and now if I want the yearly price I have to pay $119.88 just 4 days later! $30 more!

Also no promo codes works with it so its the full price.
>:(D-::-/

•••
Yep, I got the email too. (they claim that there is more now in it).
What I found strange before was that my membership lasted to 26th of december 2014.
I had bought it 2 years ago with a 50%-code, and immediately bought for 2 years..
HOWEVER if I wanted to "renew" now, I couldn't use codes.
Anyhow I waited until the 28th of december of 2014 (2 days after the end), and I presumed I could use a couponcode as I would be buying something "new", but the DDC-membership seemed to be considerred as a "expired product", so it STILL was a kinda RENEWAL, and i couldn't use a couponcode, although I had one ! =>
I know however from other accounts that you COULD get a discount in 2014 if you didn't had before DDC-membership there.
=> So it's better to BECOME MEMBER for 4 YEARS with redutcion on 1 account f.i.then for 1 year, because you won't get reduction if the year is over..

=> I HAVE A QUESTION NOW => WHEN IS AN ELAPSED DDC-MEMBERSHIP TRULLY EXPIRED (does it also go into a redemption period) , so that you can use a code again for "something new", being "the DDC-club).

BTW => I FOUND THE PRICECHANGE PROPOSTROUS => They could have warned people that the pricing would go UP in 2015.

I'm very disappointed.

•••
... I transfer all my domains out of GoDaddy as soon as the 60day hold has expired....
Hi Stub,

Who do you use? Would you recommend any registrars? With the latest GoDaddy price increase, I am looking to move my domains somewhere with good prices -- somewhere that does not waste my time searching for coupons.

Thanks!

•••
What GoDaddy price increase?

After a very exhaustive evaluation of all the top (and not so top) registrars, and because my spend is over $5000/yr, I chose Dynadot which provides .com @ $8.50 including free privacy at that rate. Even if you are not at that rate of spend, if you prepay only $500 (or have spent over $500/yr), you get .com @ $8.75 and an extra $2 for privacy, if you want it. But you can always build your own privacy if you must have it.

Close contenders were Name @ $8.79 and NameSilo @ $8.89 (highest rate. incremental discounts the more domains you have)

The cheapest was NameBright @ $8.03 (cost, but you pay a small % to top-up your account). They were also considered but didn't make the cut to the last three. I wasn't comfortable with using them because they are owned by a competing drop-catcher, and they didn't have a full suite of tlds, so some of my domains would have to have been at another registrar (which could be good or bad. I took as a negative). It wasn't all negative. They had some plus points too.

All these registrars have excellent control panels. Probably Dynadot's had a higher learning curve than the others. But it is far from insurmountable. I never look for promo codes, although Dynadot has relevant coupons sometimes, ie .tv. The best control panel I thought was NameSilo's.

•••
What GoDaddy price increase?
The price increase for the Domain Discount Club. For my volume of domains (at $120/year), it adds about $1.50 per domain, so it makes the effective price of a dot com $9.79 plus ICANN fee.

Thanks for all the leads! I will check them out!

•••
@FreddyJoe - How many domains do you have? All .com? Do you ever participate in the GoDaddy Expiring Auctions? I had this dilemma. My Domains were at another registrar. So if no DDC membership, you get charged full retail price for the renewal of every won domain. And I could never find a coupon that worked to reduce that cost. People here say there are lots of coupons to reduce this cost. But I never found any. So it was better for me to renew my DDC membership, which had expired. I purchase sufficient Expiring Domains in a month to still justify maintaining my DDC membership. Even at the 33.3% price increase.

Incidentally.I asked my account manager if there were any discounts on renewals (every year he's given me a discount). But it was an emphatic, no. So it might be good to hear from people who have successfully used a coupon to buy DDC membership, and what that coupon is :)

Last edited:
•••
I received the same email. I think it is time to pack up and move on. I am considering moving all of my domains away from Godaddy. Too many hassles with coupon codes without having GGD, and now them increasing it to double what I have been paying it is not worth it. Godaddy has become too commercialized.
I hear ya. But why didn't I get that email?

The one big thing about GoDaddy, I'm smitten by their control panel. I think it's genius. Once you get used to it.

•••
@forge - I agree with you. Control Panel is great. It's their Policies which suck the most, which is why I don't use them as a registrar. Not domainer friendly.

•••
Think I originally joined the discount club around the $56-$58 mark with a coupon. Now with the price increase I can turn the $119.88 into the $80 range. Discount club adds around .15 per domain for me based on how many I have there now so $8.47+.15=$8.62 out the door. I'll be staying based on that number. Would only move in the future if they jack the price again or if I reduce my inventory to where the club is costing more than someone else was offering without the club that I felt safe with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back