Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm quite certain that folks aren't trolling the appraisal section in hopes of drop catching. My guess is that junk domains drop everyday and a sucker is born every minute... :imho:

•••
..... is more upset at the tone of responses, which can be a bit snarky at times.
And sometimes, i seriously doubt that when somebody says he made a sale, he actually sold it. Especially when the "supposed sale" came off right after a bitter argument that results to bruised feelings. I've seen this one in other threads in the past. The guy gets clobbered for like 8 pages, and then in the end, he declared a "sale" and was crowned the champion.

The "sale" becomes some kind of figure of speech to boost one's position from low esteem, to a vindicated winner.

Some "supposed sales" could also be meant to attract people to buy into an investment that is really doomed. Outside the domaining world, Enron and Madoff come to mind.

•••
I do not feel like rehashing earlyer points so Ill just go to your stated single biggest problem.

"only" is incorrect, I told countless people to ask for a certain amount and when I say this I dont mean domainer 2 domainer. And many of my given $xx values carrys a cavate like "a crafy domainer can get out of this position at this value" Which is code for get emailing lol

Giving people an End User price is just not in the cards for every appraisal section domain (heck most). Its pointless to speculate at that level for most names. There also the opposite pressure of "What that can be Apple Inc inquiring about that name, appraiser A a dumbass for stating an enduser price that low. Every so often we see someone post a very nice name and members post reseller and enduser prices. Why because they can invision a true enduser being interested in that name and have a feel for where it can go. I guess you can retort back, "i said point of view" I feel their point of view is in every appraisal.

I look at the appraisal section as more of a learning section for new members. Especially where someone post a list of their names and we can point out one or two having some potential.

First off I should not have used the term Domainer, I should have sead Reseller, my mistake.

Giving an End User appraisal should in fact be in the cards, if you have the ability to give a reseller appraisal, then you should have the ability to give an end user appraisal.

If an appraiser has no experience in selling domains to end users then maybe they can say they don't have any experience selling to end users, But you are a so called professional and you keep an eye on the domain market (which you should) and you have an opinion on a reseller price then you should have an opinion on an end user price.

If an appraiser thinks a domain is worthless to a reseller then of course they will think it is worthless to an end user.
But, If it's worth $1 to a reseller then its must be worth more the an end user.

What good is an appraiser if they only have the ability to appraise at a reseller level?

Its not any more difficult to speculate on an end user price as it is for a reseller price, just do your DD
After all this Entire industry was built and operates on Speculation.

:)

•••
How about, instead of talking about the Appraisal section, you acctually go there and appraise my domain? :lol:

•••
After you have been here for a while, you learn who to trust and who not to trust, simple as that. I, for one, always appreciate it when e.g. sdsinc and mugford take the time out to give appraisals.

What annoys me in the appraisals section are all the newbies throwing out wild appraisals as if their lives depended on it. Personally I don't have enough experience to estimate sales figures yet (if ever), but there are people with far less experience than me, and, if I may say so, worse domains, who act as if they have an ocean of experience. Makes for great entertainment, but still... Couple of days ago I saw someone claim that "co.uk" is a worthless extension. What a load of crap. And the typical opening poster, who is even less experienced, might heed the advice.

I previously suggested that there should be a 6-month membership limit for posting in the appraisal section unless a person is the opening poster, and I still think it's a good idea.

Last edited:
•••
Couple of days ago I saw someone claim that "co.uk" is a worthless extension. What a load of crap.

Not worthless, but potentially volatile. Depends on how Nominet approach the .uk extension and in what form (if any) they progress with releasing .uk to the public after their meeting in June. I could see this affecting the value of .co.uk

True, but it is still a factor.

I've dealt with many end users and can't say I've ever found one who cared about the age of domain. I personally think that domainers put far too much weight on the age of a domain.

Giving an End User appraisal should in fact be in the cards, if you have the ability to give a reseller appraisal, then you should have the ability to give an end user appraisal.

I would have to disagree. To understand the potential end user value of a domain, you would have to be well versed in the particular niche of the domain, e.g. if it was a car insurance domain, you would have to be a stakeholder or decision maker in the car insurance business. You'd also have to have held positions across small, medium and large businesses to understand the different budgetary restrictions involved with different sized companies. You would also need an in depth knowledge of the current marketplace, including trends in the car insurance market to ascertain whether there is money to spend in the industry. Furthermore, you would need to have operated in every country (or at least have a sound knowledge of the business environment) in the world to understand the potential top end user value available (e.g. Dubai might be instigating a big push on car insurance, making this the optimal end user destination)

If you don't have the above insight, your end user valuation will be 100% speculation and as such, useless.

To appraise a reseller domain, you need a general knowledge of the domaining industry as well as, ideally, a track record of selling/buying domains both in the niche and domain extension of the domain up for appraisal.

There's obviously the odd exception to the rules (e.g. everything knows sex.com is worth millions) but for the average domain put forward for appraisal here, that's the way it is.

•••
Thanks for the reply Sabre but I also have to disagree,

've dealt with many end users and can't say I've ever found one who cared about the age of domain. I personally think that domainers put far too much weight on the age of a domain.

I have talk to many End Users that have cared about the age of a domain.
I have dealt with end users that get upset when you try and sell them a recently registered domain for more then the registration price. They have said if it was as old as their existing domain maybe they would think about it.

I would have to disagree. To understand the potential end user value of a domain, you would have to be well versed in the particular niche of the domain, e.g. if it was a car insurance domain, you would have to be a stakeholder or decision maker in the car insurance business. You'd also have to have held positions across small, medium and large businesses to understand the different budgetary restrictions involved with different sized companies. You would also need an in depth knowledge of the current marketplace, including trends in the car insurance market to ascertain whether there is money to spend in the industry. Furthermore, you would need to have operated in every country (or at least have a sound knowledge of the business environment) in the world to understand the potential top end user value available (e.g. Dubai might be instigating a big push on car insurance, making this the optimal end user destination)

If you don't have the above insight, your end user valuation will be 100% speculation and as such, useless.

First off as I have said before that this entire industry was built and exists on Speculation.
1% or 100% its all still speculation.

And if is truly required to have those type of qualifications in order to give an opinion on an end user appraisal then the appraisal forum should be changed to
Reseller Appraisals Only
after all how often are we going to see that type of qualified end user to come here and appraise any particular domain on any given day?

All appraisals are opinion based.
What most of us want to know besides the appraisal itself is how the appraiser arrived at their final opinion.
What factors where involved in him or her determining that price.
They don't have to be experts in any one sector to give a well thought out opinion.

Opinions are like (fill in the blank) everyone has one.

Last edited:
•••
I have talk to many End Users that have cared about the age of a domain.
I have dealt with end users that get upset when you try and sell them a recently registered domain for more then the registration price. They have said if it was as old as their existing domain maybe they would think about it.

Fair enough. The only sales that I've ever had enquire about age were in the $xxx offer range - companies who have the big bucks (so, end users) always seem to care more about the actual domain than its age in my experience. :) But, I digress!

First off as I have said before that this entire industry was built and exists on Speculation.
1% or 100% its all still speculation.

And if is truly required to have those type of qualifications in order to give an opinion on an end user appraisal then the appraisal forum should be changed to
Reseller Appraisals Only
after all how often are we going to see that type of qualified end user to come here and appraise any particular domain on any given day?

All appraisals are opinion based.
What most of us want to know besides the appraisal itself is how the appraiser arrived at their final opinion.
What factors where involved in him or her determining that price.
They don't have to be experts in any one sector to give a well thought out opinion.

Opinions are like (fill in the blank) everyone has one.

I would agree that unless the domain clearly has no value, it is useful for the appraiser to briefly explain why they came to their valuation. In an ideal world, it would also be useful, as someone else mentioned, for them to give their thoughts on potential development opportunities or end users possibilities.

Something like below;

• Reseller Value
  • Explanation of Value
  • Development Ideas
  • End User Possibilities

However, we need to remember that an appraisal at NamePros is free and members are spending their own time to make these appraisals. If we force people into putting more effort into appraisals, this may put members off posting in the Appraisal section - and if I am not mistaken this is the section of the forum that attracts the most people to NamePros.

•••
Not worthless, but potentially volatile. Depends on how Nominet approach the .uk extension and in what form (if any) they progress with releasing .uk to the public after their meeting in June. I could see this affecting the value of .co.uk

Fair point, but, trust me, he did not say it for those reasons.

If we force people into putting more effort into appraisals, this may put members off posting in the Appraisal section - and if I am not mistaken this is the section of the forum that attracts the most people to NamePros.

I agree that's not the way to go. Such restrictions would probably scare the more experienced appraisers off.

I also see your point that any restrictions might harm the forum's popularity. But the newbie appraisals are pulling the forum down IMO, and they could easily be curbed by introducing a membership time limit - with the exception of the OP. I believe what is most important to a newbie is the opportunity to get feedback on their own domains, not necessarily to give feedback to others.

Have you considered that what you might possibly lose in popularity among newbies who will be prevented from throwing out meaningless appraisals, you might actually gain in higher esteem in the industry and possibly more experienced users? Not saying that is necessarily the case, but worth considering. As it is now, the appraisal section is more entertaining than informative, sorry.:guilty: Just my 2c.

Last edited:
•••
I believe what is most important to a newbie is the opportunity to get feedback on their own domains, not necessarily to give feedback to others.

Have you considered that what you might possibly lose in popularity among newbies who will be prevented from throwing out meaningless appraisals, you might actually gain in higher esteem in the industry and possibly more experienced users? Not saying that is necessarily the case, but worth considering. As it is now, the appraisal section is more entertaining than informative, sorry.:guilty: Just my 2c.

This is a great point and very true.

There are many newbies who couldn't detect a fart in a phone booth, let alone appraise a domain.

I for one like participating in the appraisal section and sometimes offering my point of view and opinion on the names.

But it gets very annoying when users right of the boat continuously appraise names with little to no knowledge at all.

It gives many newbies who are seeking knowledge and info a false expectation on the domain in question.

Maybe its time to start enforcing some restrictions.

Just my thoughts here.

•••
In my opinion in addition to estimating the wholesale (liquid) value of a domain appraisers should also give their OPINION as to the current and future potentials of a domain for such factors as end-user sales, lease, joint venture, and development.

It is also important to make sure that the appraisers don’t have any personal bias towards the extension, whether it was hand regged or not, the owner of the domain, and whether they might want to buy the domain themselves. After a while you will learn whose opinions to value (even if the appraisal is not to your liking) and which ones to ignore. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Namepros "Domain Appraisals" Section

So I've been posting comments in the "Domain Appraisal" threads for years now.
I see some pretty pathetic domain names in there and I think that NP should have some sort of minimum criteria for "new" posters.
For example;
Posters must have 100 posts.
Posters must be a member for more than a month.
Maybe have domains go through some sort of crap filter before being posted.
Anyways, I enjoy going through the threads giving my .02 but hate the fact that it's full of crap and people that post once and never return.
What are your opinions of the appraisal sections here at NP.

Respect:guilty:

•••
That's not a bad idea. I like the first two suggestions although I think that 100 posts might be a bit excessive. The filter probably won't work since I can't even begin to think of an algorithm that could successfully filter out bad domain names. Maybe they should be converted into polls with options like $0-99, 100-499, 500-999, etc. It would be quick and easy to build up votes and if people have specific questions, that's what the domain newbies section is for. :)

Edit: Obviously there should be a "regfee" option too. :laugh:

•••
The first thing is to forget about there being a post count qualifier! Without a doubt some of the best domains I've ever seen in the appraisal section were from new members that just joined name pros because they owned *******.com for 10+ years and they want to know what it worth and what to do with it. (This is also the main reason certain people still peek in that section). To require people to make 100 posts before they can post a name in the appraisal section is just not right.

I have noticed a change too, but it's not so much on the down ward crap scale, but instead there seems to be so many names now that just don't have anything interesting to comment about. Some of the most fun and teachable moments in the appraisal section are actually names that are 'bad'. But they are bad in a way where you can clearly point out the problem. But now we have all these names that are 'luke warm', meaning I clearly don't see them liquidating for regfee or more, yet there logical enough that it looks wrong to bash the name. So its often better to avoid commenting.

As far as using a crap filter, I looked at the first page of the appraisal section, and I don't see any names that I would feel good about telling a member "Hey your name's not good enough to be posted here and looked at by your peers". (well there is one glaring one lol, but still I wouldnt want to call them out)

The appraisal section actually saves people some money because we're able to tell people to return/grace delete a domain. And it is nice to see people actually returned them.

•••
So, I tried to like your post johname and accidentally hit dislike. Lol That's what I get for trying to vote on a cell phone. I can't seem to undo it either. Sorry!
You have some valid points for sure.

•••
The first thing is to forget about there being a post count qualifier! Without a doubt some of the best domains I've ever seen in the appraisal section were from new members that just joined name pros because they owned *******.com for 10+ years and they want to know what it worth and what to do with it. (This is also the main reason certain people still peek in that section). To require people to make 100 posts before they can post a name in the appraisal section is just not right.

I have noticed a change too, but it's not so much on the down ward crap scale, but instead there seems to be so many names now that just don't have anything interesting to comment about. Some of the most fun and teachable moments in the appraisal section are actually names that are 'bad'. But they are bad in a way where you can clearly point out the problem. But now we have all these names that are 'luke warm', meaning I clearly don't see them liquidating for regfee or more, yet there logical enough that it looks wrong to bash the name. So its often better to avoid commenting.

As far as using a crap filter, I looked at the first page of the appraisal section, and I don't see any names that I would feel good about telling a member "Hey your name's not good enough to be posted here and looked at by your peers". (well there is one glaring one lol, but still I wouldnt want to call them out)

The appraisal section actually saves people some money because we're able to tell people to return/grace delete a domain. And it is nice to see people actually returned them.

Plus there are no tags which doesn't inspire me to go there...

But great post mr J - almost as good as the fake youtube vid you made (but not really).

Given how much you've posted in that thread over the years I think your voice is important to np.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back